Would you be offended if you went to a salon and they asked you to

I would not have been offended. We have a "no shoes policy" in our home as well. Sounds like there are trying to rep a clean enviornment for their salon.

They should obviously have little socks or something by the front door. I wouldn't have been offended but a wise business person would have been prepared for a customer not being able to take off their shoes. Oh well..their loss not yours.

They should obviously have little socks or something by the front door. I wouldn't have been offended but a wise business person would have been prepared for a customer not being able to take off their shoes. Oh well..their loss not yours.

Yeah I told my roomate too because she's looking for another natural salon in the area. The woman she was going to up and disappeared. She wanted me to let her know how it was after I went today. She said she won't be going to check it out now either.

I wouldn't be offended if someone asked me to take my shoes off. I've been to a couple Japanese tea rooms that ask you to remove your shoes.

It annoys me when people come to my house and take they shoes off. Everybody does it! People coming to give estimates, sell magazines, frends, family ...doesn't matter. I have to stop each and every person from hoping around on one foot like a dork trying to get their shoes off. What's up with that! It's not like I have white carpet or marble floors. *sigh*

Last edited:

Or those disposable flip-flops they give you when you get a pedicure. :yep:

I ask visitors to take their shoes off in my house. And I take my shoes off before entering friends and relatives homes, but I definitely would not take my shoes off in a public place. The salon should offer paper disposible footy slippers.

But more importantly, I'm really so tired of salons trying to hype up their natural hair hair care like they are preforming rocket science. "We are performing surgery. Your consultation fee is $25. Before the doctor sees you, you must remove your shoes." Give me a break.

My mother had a shop in the 1970's and she and the other beauticians would work that natural hair. It was nothing back then -- before the perm craz. I remember all the ladies coming to the shop . . . almost all patrons had long thick natural hair. Back then it was the norm for me.

I wouldn't be offended, but if they couldn't give me a reason (i.e. allergies, culture/tradition, etc.), I would think they were just being extra. I would have left too. I wouldn't want to be walking around in my bare feet or socks when there's hair on the floor and stuff. Yuck.

No, I would not be offended. My policy at home is for guests to remove their shoes also and I too have disposable slippers. This keeps my light-colored carpet clean. This holistic practice is more popular in other countries than the U.S. but is starting to pick up momentum here.

The salon needed to supply slippers for the customers' feet and comfort. Walking around barefoot is not healthy either.

No I wouldn't be offended. Growing up we always had to take off our shoes before entering the house.

The owner may feel that the salon is like a home as well as a place of business.

Plus it prevents outside negative from traveling

But in a salon (unless they are constantly cleaning the floor every hour and picking up the hair) they should provide some type of foot protection...

Last edited:
I ask visitors to take their shoes off in my house. And I take my shoes off before entering friends and relatives homes, but I definitely would not take my shoes off in a public place. The salon should offer paper disposible footy slippers.

But more importantly, I'm really so tired of salons trying to hype up their natural hair hair care like they are preforming rocket science. "We are performing surgery. Your consultation fee is $25. Before the doctor sees you, you must remove your shoes." Give me a break.

My mother had a shop in the 1970's and she and the other beauticians would work that natural hair. It was nothing back then -- before the perm craz. I remember all the ladies coming to the shop . . . almost all patrons had long thick natural hair. Back then it was the norm for me.

Yep, now that more people are going natural, salons are trying to capitalize on it. Think about how many people paid $500 for a text, oops silkener.

I don't think you were wrong for your reaction, at all.I can understand and respect their motivation (whatever it is) for their policy, but they need to be offering disposable slippers and/or some type of antifungal/bacterial spray or something. The fungi/bacteria are on the surfaces of their feet/socks as well, duh. Boy, I can imagine what a swab of their floor in a petrie dish would yield. Sounds like some half arsed science going on in there. I have been to a couple of those "upscale" natural salons in DC when my hair was close to your length in your siggy...ridonkulous prices and all I went twice and started playing with my hair, and realized I didn't need them to twist my hair at all. A lot of those salons to me are a lot of hype to keep you coming(another story), and I began to see them as a continuation of the "regular salon" experience that I was tired of then. I don't know if you do it already yourself, and just wanted someone else to do it, but you certainly don't need them. Don't even sweat it!!:nono:

I don't think you were wrong for your reaction, at all.I can understand and respect their motivation (whatever it is) for their policy, but they need to be offering disposable slippers and/or some type of antifungal/bacterial spray or something. The fungi/bacteria are on the surfaces of their feet/socks as well, duh. Boy, I can imagine what a swab of their floor in a petrie dish would yield. Sounds like some half arsed science going on in there. I have been to a couple of those "upscale" natural salons in DC when my hair was close to your length in your siggy...ridonkulous prices and all I went twice and started playing with my hair, and realized I didn't need them to twist my hair at all. A lot of those salons to me are a lot of hype to keep you coming(another story), and I began to see them as a continuation of the "regular salon" experience that I was tired of then. I don't know if you do it already yourself, and just wanted someone else to do it, but you certainly don't need them. Don't even sweat it!!:nono:

I think you're right. I've been doing my own hair all this time and I've just been getting tired of it. I feel like I need a break. I only really go to the salon when I get it flat ironed. I want some braids or twists with extensions but I don't want to go back to the Africans as they don't care about my hair's health. I haven't had any problems with my hair coming out but they're too rough with handling it. They were lazy last time with it because they thought I was gonna let them clean my hair up with the scissors. :nono: Maybe I'll just sew a weave in to get my mind off it for a month or so. I'm sure I have some hair laying around this house somewhere.

I wouldn't be offended by this at all, it may have just been a culture thing. My family practices this...I always take off my shoes before stepping into someone's house. I don't even think about it sometimes.

OMG can we say yuck? I get freaked out when there is hair on the bottom of my feet or on my socks. even if its my own hair:look:

WTF - I actually think it would be unsanitary to walk around barefoot on floors that you don't know when or how they were cleaned! :blush: Are they going to pay your doctor bills if you catch an infection or step on something. :nono:

You did the RIGHT thing!
Exactly a hair salon is not a house, and hairdressers/barbers tend to be the filthiest places because of all that hair and crap on the floor. I would never go barefoot in someone's establishment ever. House-surely I'll oblidge.

I wouldn't be offended by this at all, it may have just been a culture thing. My family practices this...I always take off my shoes before stepping into someone's house. I don't even think about it sometimes.

But when I asked why they didn't give me an explanation. If it was truly a cultural thing, they should have just said that.

I don't blame you, I would have left too. They should try to accomodate your wishes, not the other way around. I think that's bad business.

I can't. I just won't get my hair done there. I need to feel comfortable in a salon and there is no way that I would feel comfortable with my shoes off BAREFOOT in a strange place. It's not like they had carpet or anything. It was bare floors.

That and the salon was pricey to begin with so I wasn't sure that I wanted my hair done there in the first place. She quoted me $300 for kinky twists over the phone. And I was a little miffed at first that the woman told me somebody would call me back in 24 hours and I didn't get a call back for like 2 weeks. After a day or two went by, I forgot. But since she offered to waive the fee, I figured I could at least go and check the place out and see what the woman was talking about. She never even looked at my hair.

I totally agree with you,

1. The floor was bare, wasn't like they had carpet or rugs
  2. ANYONE could have a fungus or some nasties on their feet
  3. THEY got a heads up and got to wear flipflops:look:
  4. That's a public place. People make you wear shoes in public for the same reason they lied to you about to get you to take your shoes OFF.
  5. A cold bare floor? Not on my feet, Im anemic as it is, cant STAND the cold
  6. OTHER PEOPLES' FEET??? Wouldn't it make sense for people to wear SHOES to protect themselves from what's outside?
  7. BUT THEY WANT YOU TO COME IN WITH NO SHOES ON??? :nono:
  8. PUH-LEASE. :::neck roll::
I woulda walked right out with you, and never looked back. And drug my feet as I left. :spinning:I take my shoes off at HOMES because people go barefoot at HOME. Only other place I can think of is Payless and the shoe section of Wal-Mart...

Personally, I wouldn't be offended at all. The owner probably thinks of her business as her second home since she may spend so much time there. If I ever get my own salon I would definitely consider having the same policy. But I would make sure to have some disposable flip flops, like the ones you get at the nail place when you get your toes done.

After seeing this I will have to keep a pair of socks in my purse when I wear sandals out:ohwell:

[*]THEY got a heads up and got to wear flipflops:look:

I woulda walked right out with you, and never looked back. And drug my feet as I left. :spinning:I take my shoes off at HOMES because people go barefoot at HOME. Only other place I can think of is Payless and the shoe section of Wal-Mart...

Well some of them were doing hair barefoot. :look: :lachen: @ your whole list. It's true though.

BTW,...

they act like hair isn't one of the dirtiest parts of your body... do you know how much bacteria collects in your hair? Your feet are probably cleaner, since they're always covered with socks and shoes... hair has grease, oil, conditioners, leave-ins, cones, and even residue from shampoo laying on top of it... not to mention sweat you can't even feel, some folks have LICE, dandruff...

What if you woke up with flaky feet or body lice or a rash cause you were standing in someone's nasty cut/combed out hair on the floor while they did yours?

they need to get off their high horse and realize that that shoe thing is not cute, not upscale and sure as heck not keeping customers there.

Exactly a hair salon is not a house, and hairdressers/barbers tend to be the filthiest places because of all that hair and crap on the floor. I would never go barefoot in someone's establishment ever. House-surely I'll oblidge.
ITA

Neither the State Health Dept. nor OSHA would not be down with this at all. Stylists have to wear closed toe shoes for safety and hygiene reasons. Plus their clients are walking around spreading goodness knows what from their feet to the salon floor, to the bathroom, and back. I wouldn't even wear socks - scissors, razors, hot tools? :nono: Plus, cut hair can be like a splinter in your skin (been there).There is no way on earth I'd walk barefoot in a salon. They'd better hope no inspectors show up. :nono:

I wouldn't be offended but I wouldn't take them bad boys off either. I'd be like oh aight, and throw up the waving deuces.

ITA

Neither the State Health Dept. nor OSHA would not be down with this at all. Stylists have to wear closed toe shoes for safety and hygiene reasons. Plus their clients are walking around spreading goodness knows what from their feet to the salon floor, to the bathroom, and back. I wouldn't even wear socks - scissors, razors, hot tools? :nono: Plus, cut hair can be like a splinter in your skin (been there).There is no way on earth I'd walk barefoot in a salon. They'd better hope no inspectors show up. :nono:
Thats a good point, I'd report them to the state license board.

No shoes in the house is one thing--no shoes in the salon is just weird to me. It's a public place and I wouldn't be walking around there barefoot any more than I would around my gym's shower room. Fungus, warts, etc. can be passed along that way. Don't they have tile floors that they can just mop at the end of the day?

I wouldnt be offended, but i certainly would not have taken my shoes off... I would have just found another salon. Firstly you dont know how often they sanitize that floor and who has been up in there walking around with their funky sweaty dirty athletes feet. And not even to mention what happens if someone walks out of the salon with your new pair of expensive shoes. Would they be willing to pay for them? They need to revisit that policy cause they probably can catch a lawsuit if you catch a foot disease. Dont yall notice that lately when you go to a doctor and you step on a scale, then never ever ask you to remove your shoes. they used to. It has something to do with a new law that they cannot ask you because it can be unsanitary.

Back