Would any natural head ever consider trying this?

Janice

I read about it several months ago in my quest for a natural relaxer, but didn't pay any attention to the fact that this one is reversible. It is called Rusk AntiCurl. Unlike most relaxers, which are permanent and cannot be reversible, this one is. Its effects last anywhere from 3 weeks to several months. In other words it wears off. This link highlights an overview of an African-American female trying it. http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip616.htm

I would say it is a good option to pressing the hair every two weeks, or for someone like myself who has no patience to rollerset. And better yet, for thise of us that don't want a permanent relaxer on our hair.The longer my hair gets the more ummangeable it is because it is so thick and my hands hurt after combing it. It takes me too much time to twist my hair and I personally want to just try something new other than extensions.I am going to call up the numbers and ask about more info.

Tell me what you guys think.Do you think I can still continue my grow out challenge if I were to try this? Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks. And if anyone knnows of anyone who has tried this or has more info about this please let me know.

Hmmm....I am a new natural(jan 2003), so I don't have veteran advice to give. The one thing I guess you can do is check the ingredients carefully. Because if this is just a very mild relaxer, it may have the same affects as a relaxer. Also if that is the case, you may as well, just investigate texturizers, because that is what it sounds like. I guess i am reminded, of the copa stuff, and naturalaxer, and others that claim to not be relaxers, but really are. I hope that you can get some info, keep us posted.

smile.gif
Tracy

Not me. I'm afraid of chemicals (for now). I've read about this product before--IIRC, the active ingredient is ammonium thioglycolate...

I tried something similar, Volumax, (active ingredient: ammonium thio) and it messed my hair up, I had a big poof ball, I wouldn't advice it, I had to cut all my hair off, all my curls were gone as well.

That's what I was thinking...

I think this is one of those products that might work on curly or wavy hair, but not tight coily/kinky hair.

Interesting question.
But I will pass on this one.

I have long nappy hair and I like it that way.
My hair is tightly coiled and I find that it's actually easier to manage as it gets longer.

I wear it braided, rinse daily with conditioner, or ACV.
And I only comb my hair when it's wet.

But thanks for asking and posing an interesting question
Best wishes,
Coilygirl.

I'm finding length is helping me also. Of course my hair is probably not as thick as others. I wouldn't try it myself though. I'd do a light relaxer before I did this.

Sweetcocoa:

I've often admired your very thoughtful posts!

My hair is very, very thick. Still, I have found that it's sooo much easier to manage as it gets longer.

I think I'm also more skillful at handling my hair--thanks to the wonderful information and insights from women on this board and nappturality.

Thanks to all.

coilygirl.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
coilygirl said:
Interesting question.
But I will pass on this one.

I have long nappy hair and I like it that way.
My hair is tightly coiled and I find that it's actually easier to manage as it gets longer.

I wear it braided, rinse daily with conditioner, or ACV.
And I only comb my hair when it's wet.

But thanks for asking and posing an interesting question
Best wishes,
Coilygirl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like you, I only comb my hair when it's wet, and that's to comb conditioner through it. I find it gets easier the longer it gets too, and hot oil treatments help.

I wouldn't advise trying this product.

I am jealous of you all who are finding it easier to deal with your hair as it gets longer. My hair is very thick and requires more work as it gets longer. Roller sets take forever to dry and wrapping my hair is impossible. Another reason to wear it curly all the time!!!

I sympathise, as my hair is thick
smile.gif
I thought I'd die without my hair dryer! I actually find it easier without heat now. I mainly twist my hair when it's dripping wet and let it dry that way. Using olive oil as a pre-shampoo treatment helped me a lot too
smile.gif

I wouldn't try this. I just don't trust chemicals anymore. I have learned that I can do just about anything with my hair as long as I set it while it is wet and there is NO humidity.

I want to thank everyone for their honest opinions. I sure remember those copa scares. I wouldn't want to be the result of that. I guess I am just lazy,lol. I am trying to find ways to straighen my hair without the use of permanet chemicals , milk, rollersets, or presses,lol. Somewhere in my mind I believe such a thing exists, lol.

Oh well I have two more weeks till my braids come out.I defenitely won't try it. I just think once my braids come out I ill try the hennalucent and defenitely order some of HennaJoy's powder. Then I will just braid it(with my own hair,no extensions)) and keep that in for two months.

Thanks again everyone.

I wouldn't do it either. My hair is also a lot easier to handle now that it's getting longer, I wouldn't want to take a chance and jeopardize all my progress. If doing your hair is too time consuming, it might be a better idea for you to have a stylist do it so it takes all of the work off of you.

Back