Worst BKT/Liquid Keratin Treatment Horror Stories

Everything Zen

I'm just looking for an excuse not to get this in the next couple of months. I am most interested in DIY with the Ulta Liquid Keratin bc I straighten my hair once in a blue moon. I think it would be nice to help stretch relaxers but I just want to make sure that I have a 1/10000000 chance of going bald and ruining all my progress. Is it worth it ladies? Are there any other systems that can be DIY? Does anyone have a horror story they'd like to share? It seems that even at its worst it's the smell, the fact that it reverts, expensive or it doesn't get straight enough. Does anyone have a worse experience to share?

There have been a couple reviews of the Ulta Liquid Keratin, and I dont believe many of them were that positive. It seems like the general consensus was that it wasn't worth the money. I think you're better off using some of the other brands like Global. There was a recent BKT brand list thread started by southerntease.

**crickets** :grin:
No horror stories, girl! lol. I was trying to google anything bad about it too!
But like Rei said, you'd probably be better off getting one of the other brands.
Good luck and as always...post pics!

I found no horror stories either. I searched all over the net too. I found lots of raves about different brands....but no horror stories except the hair color of blondes does change with some brands. I did not bother to take note of the brand since I will never have blonde hair.

The worst thing that I saw was some ladies said their hair was not as straight as they had hoped....but all said styling time was cut tremendously as far as blowouts & flat ironing.

:blush: There is one girl that had bad results from the liquid keratin brand. Her hair looked HAM! She describes it as "clown hair." And that is what is looks like. :nono:
2009-02-17-63692.jpg

Her blog is : http://forbodyandsoul.net
And she talks about it here too: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=66254&page=3

Why not just diy w/ bk instead of the mixed bag liquid keratin which isn't the same? Choose global like brittany and end up with results like hers from the other thread. She's like 4a/b and had wonderful results from home.

Good luck, Everything Zen! I agree with LD 100% Stick with a brand that you've seen used on your type. I checked out a few others but I kept coming back to global, since I've seen it's success many times on this board.

I think the odds are definitely in your favor.

One thing that attracted me was that long time BKT wearers seem to retain so much of their length and their hair looks so healthy over time. Since it's like a protective layer over each strand, it may allow us to protective style less even while we're on the grow.

Here are links to folks bkting a year or more. I know Brittany and Crazydaze used Global. Not sure of the brand for Qdeez and FoxxyLisa.

Qdeez, Brittany, Crazydaze and Foxxylisa

Good luck, Everything Zen! I agree with LD 100% Stick with a brand that you've seen used on your type. I checked out a few others but I kept coming back to global, since I've seen it's success many times on this board.

I think the odds are definitely in your favor.

One thing that attracted me was that long time BKT wearers seem to retain so much of their length and their hair looks so healthy over time. Since it's like a protective layer over each strand, it may allow us to protective style less even while we're on the grow.

Here are links to folks bkting a year or more. I know Brittany and Crazydaze used Global. Not sure of the brand for Qdeez and FoxxyLisa.

Qdeez, Brittany, Crazydaze and Foxxylisa

oooooooooh! To bolded. I was thinking about how everyone's hair is growing away and looking healthier, but I think this is the perfect way to put it. This may be almost like a protective style because of the "protective layer".
:scratchch

oooooooooh! To bolded. I was thinking about how everyone's hair is growing away and looking healthier, but I think this is the perfect way to put it. This may be almost like a protective style because of the "protective layer".
:scratchch

Ha! I knew you would like that LD ;) I could almost hear you say "oooooooooh!" :lachen:

Thanks for the responses so far ladies. I just found the Global keratin. You're sure you can use this at home no problems? How has it been for everyone? No problems? Do you absolutely need to blow dry? (I need to buy one if so). I think I'm going to need some help! I'm nervous only because most of the other brands require you to be a licensed professional to purchase.

What about the idea of protein=hard hair throwing off the moisture balance and making hair brittle? How is everyone's moisture balance with this? Ooooohhhh I am thisclose to getting it in June. How long after are you all going to a salon? I go see Deneen in Chicago and she's done a fantastic job with my hair. I wonder if she would do it?

Looking around, I think I'm going to have to get it done professionally first. I'm paranoid like that.

Nothing wrong with that :yep: I'd go to a dominican salon, I think.

Global, you have to be licensed to order from their corporate office. You can only get it non licensed if you go through their site.

I keep hearing from users that moisture/protein balance is not a concern. The product is supposed to coat the hair and behave like hair. It does not behave like a normal protein treatment that could make the hair dry.

I guess this is the worst horror story I have seen regarding BKT

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/478875/brazilian_hair_straightening_fabulous.html?cat=69

Fad Hair Treatment Responsible for at Least One Death

Brazilian Hair Straightening is the hottest fad to hit beauty salons since, well, Brazilian waxing. Touted as a more natural, cheaper and less labor intensive process than Japanese hair straightening, stylists who perform this service claim it uses keratin, a natural protein, to soften, smooth and straighten hair. Before and after photos used as promotions for the treatment feature models with shiny, pin-straight tresses. The truth is, Brazilian Hair Straightening, also known as Brazilian Keratin Treatment, really does work as advertised. The only problem is, the part they don't tell you is that it can kill you!

While keratin is indeed an ingredient in the formulas used to perform Brazilian Hair Straightening, the true active ingredient is formaldehyde (as in embalming fluid). Formaldehyde is known to be an aggressive carcinogen, and its fumes are extremely dangerous. Heat and moderate humidity levels accelerate the noxious effects of the chemical. Since the Brazilian Hair Straightening treatment also involves applying heat to the hair with a straight-iron, stylists who perform it are in danger, and are cautioned to wear gas masks and latex gloves and perform the procedure in an area with ventilation. Even with these precautions the FDA considers any solution containing more than .02% formaldehyde to be patently unsafe. They don't regulate the formulas, however, most of which are manufactured in Latin America, and the higher the percentage of formaldehyde, the more effective a straightener the treatment is. Random testing performed by Allure Magazine indicated that some salons were using solutions that contained as much as ten times the safe amount.
Brazilian Keratin Treatments aren't dangerous only to the stylist. It is theorized that repeated treatments will cause formaldehyde buildup in the hair, releasing formaldehyde fumes every time a patron blow dries or hot-irons her hair. There has been at least one documented death from the treatment. In March 2007, a 33 year old Brazilian woman actually died from the process. Anvisa, Brazil's National Health Surveillance Agency, believes that an excess of noxious fumes were released from the heat when she took a shower after leaving the solution in her hair for 4 days. Is straight hair worth dying for? That should be a rhetorical question.

When news reports of the potentially fatal consequences of this treatment hit the mass media through an article in Allure Magazine and a report on CBS News' "The Early Show," however, it only seemed to give the process illicit appeal for some women in fashion-conscious cities with large Brazilian populations. In Miami, for example, newspapers and local craigslist sites feature numerous classified ads advertising Brazilian Straightening, often touting the fact that the solution is "the highest concentration available." In many cases, these ads refer to treatments done in homes of individuals who are not even licensed cosmetologists, and the perceived benefit to the client is more straightening power for less money. But by using embalming fluid on her hair, they may be hastening her and themselves to the grave.

Sources:

www.cbsnews.com
December 6, 2007 Time Out New York Magazine, "Scared Straight" by Rachel

^^^^ So basically the formaldehyde free formulas are fake no matter what they say? That's why I was going to consider the Ulta Liquid Keratin bc it would have to meet US guidelines to be sold here and it claims to be formaldehyde free.

I'm think I'm gonna chill and enjoy my Sensationnel 100% Remi Goddess wig for the moment.

I guess this is the worst horror story I have seen regarding BKT

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/478875/brazilian_hair_straightening_fabulous.html?cat=69

Fad Hair Treatment Responsible for at Least One Death

Brazilian Hair Straightening is the hottest fad to hit beauty salons since, well, Brazilian waxing. Touted as a more natural, cheaper and less labor intensive process than Japanese hair straightening, stylists who perform this service claim it uses keratin, a natural protein, to soften, smooth and straighten hair. Before and after photos used as promotions for the treatment feature models with shiny, pin-straight tresses. The truth is, Brazilian Hair Straightening, also known as Brazilian Keratin Treatment, really does work as advertised. The only problem is, the part they don't tell you is that it can kill you!

While keratin is indeed an ingredient in the formulas used to perform Brazilian Hair Straightening, the true active ingredient is formaldehyde (as in embalming fluid). Formaldehyde is known to be an aggressive carcinogen, and its fumes are extremely dangerous. Heat and moderate humidity levels accelerate the noxious effects of the chemical. Since the Brazilian Hair Straightening treatment also involves applying heat to the hair with a straight-iron, stylists who perform it are in danger, and are cautioned to wear gas masks and latex gloves and perform the procedure in an area with ventilation. Even with these precautions the FDA considers any solution containing more than .02% formaldehyde to be patently unsafe. They don't regulate the formulas, however, most of which are manufactured in Latin America, and the higher the percentage of formaldehyde, the more effective a straightener the treatment is. Random testing performed by Allure Magazine indicated that some salons were using solutions that contained as much as ten times the safe amount.
Brazilian Keratin Treatments aren't dangerous only to the stylist. It is theorized that repeated treatments will cause formaldehyde buildup in the hair, releasing formaldehyde fumes every time a patron blow dries or hot-irons her hair. There has been at least one documented death from the treatment. In March 2007, a 33 year old Brazilian woman actually died from the process. Anvisa, Brazil's National Health Surveillance Agency, believes that an excess of noxious fumes were released from the heat when she took a shower after leaving the solution in her hair for 4 days. Is straight hair worth dying for? That should be a rhetorical question.

When news reports of the potentially fatal consequences of this treatment hit the mass media through an article in Allure Magazine and a report on CBS News' "The Early Show," however, it only seemed to give the process illicit appeal for some women in fashion-conscious cities with large Brazilian populations. In Miami, for example, newspapers and local craigslist sites feature numerous classified ads advertising Brazilian Straightening, often touting the fact that the solution is "the highest concentration available." In many cases, these ads refer to treatments done in homes of individuals who are not even licensed cosmetologists, and the perceived benefit to the client is more straightening power for less money. But by using embalming fluid on her hair, they may be hastening her and themselves to the grave.

Sources:

www.cbsnews.com
December 6, 2007 Time Out New York Magazine, "Scared Straight" by Rachel

This is an article I commented on .T he brazilian's were at over 20 percent and the u.s brands are about .2 or a little higher. Some are even free of formaldehyde so that's like a cautionary tale that doesn't apply. It's like saying someone put pure lye on their head for a relaxer, versus a small amount. Of course they burned a hole in their head. (It's the only metaphor I could think of. I know that bk is NOT a relaxer, but I'm just contrasting the strength).

Um, that chick with the bad hair says that she didn't follw the instructions the first time she did it.:look: BKT sounds nice, but I can't handle fumes of any sort.:nono: I guess I'll be a strait nappy once I figure out how to do so and not damage my hair.:rolleyes:

My stylist used Rejuvenol today which has collagen as well as keratin. I have seen this brand for sale for $139 on-line, no license needed. She used this cool mini flat iron for the edges and she also used a special comb to clamp down on the hair as it was flat ironed. It's called "easy comb" and she had the conair version
ez_comb3.jpg

I would not try this at home, not only due to the fumes, but also because I cannot blowout my own hair and flat iron it as required. I can rollerset & flat iron on my own but would need a friend to help with an at home keratin treatment.

Thanks for the responses so far ladies. I just found the Global keratin. You're sure you can use this at home no problems? How has it been for everyone? No problems? Do you absolutely need to blow dry? (I need to buy one if so). I think I'm going to need some help! I'm nervous only because most of the other brands require you to be a licensed professional to purchase.

What about the idea of protein=hard hair throwing off the moisture balance and making hair brittle? How is everyone's moisture balance with this? Ooooohhhh I am thisclose to getting it in June. How long after are you all going to a salon? I go see Deneen in Chicago and she's done a fantastic job with my hair. I wonder if she would do it?

Last edited:
It would be impossible for BKT to not have a single negative event. Especially since it began, completely unregulated in South America. That being said, I think I still have a better than 1/1000 chance of having a successful treatment without damage to my hair. Worst case scenario, I don't care for it and take a month or so to wash the treatment away with regular shampoos.

I just wanted to add that I doubt the Liquid Keratin is anywhere near on the level of the BKT. I've used the Liquid Keratin an actually really like it. I used a coupon and since you can get it at Ulta now you can always find one. I'm natural so i'm not sure if the results are as good for a relaxed head, but I really got smoother, shinier hair and it reduced my frizz quite a bit. It didnt really loosen my curl, but I think my twists didnt shrink up as much, at least not initially they still shrink day by day. I havent tried the BKT but I bet the Liquid Keratin is a waaay watered down version that doesnt have the formeldehyde or the ether which is probably why it doesnt work as well. No funny smells and no fumes; the directions don't even mention a fan or gloves.

I had it done. I am a 4b natural that enjoys wearing her hair straight. I think it was the Chocolate salon version of Brazilian Blowout. I'm not sure what the stylist did wrong but it looked crazy and too straight (no bumped ends or anything) and not shiny. I don't think she fully knew how to handle hurr like mine :) I don't think she did enough passes with the flat-iron either. When I got home I tried a couple passes with mine on 450 and it looked way better. After I rinsed it and re-did it myself, it looked fantastic and my new growth was WAY more manageable. HOWEVER. My main issue and the reason I'm looking for more natural alternatives were the fumes!!! OMGosh...I was dizzy and really scared the whole time. She wanted to wash it out early and just say screw it but I soldiered through because I don't know of any place in Alaska that would do it. But it was NOT a good experience (totally self-inflicted though). I have no idea how other people handle the fumes. Part of it was probably panic and in my head because I was scared of it from reading about it but another part was definitely not enjoying them. And this was the formaldehyde free version. She gave me a mask once she saw I wasn't liking the smell but it didn't work very well...and the fans weren't blowing much at all. I just think it's kind of scary to put something on your head that you can't even get on your scalp (she wouldn't put it all the way on my hair shaft so it wouldn't hit my scalp)...How do people do it at home without getting it on their scalp? You can get relaxers on your scalp and don't need masks...hmm. I digress, I don't want another relaxer. But like I said, I do like the results...

On a better note, I read up on the caramel treatment on here and did it a couple of nights ago (with some full-fat greek yogurt and castor oil added) and then conditioned with Aubrey Organics White Camelia Oil Conditioner (LOVE IT TOO). My hair loves the caramel treatment so far and I used sabino moisture block and blew my hair out on low, gently, and a warm temperature. Then I flat-ironed it with my GHD (which I LOVE way more than my much more expensive FHI platform for some reason) and it looks and feels amazing. My hair loves cones, and I think the reason it doesn't dry my hair out is that I clarify when I wash so that I don't get build-up. I can't attribute the silky-soft results fully to caramel and sabino though...I still have BKT on it. But I had BKT on it when I washed two weeks ago and didn't use the caramel and just moroccan oil and it didn't feel anything like this. Just my two cents ;)

This is an article I commented on .T he brazilian's were at over 20 percent and the u.s brands are about .2 or a little higher. Some are even free of formaldehyde so that's like a cautionary tale that doesn't apply. It's like saying someone put pure lye on their head for a relaxer, versus a small amount. Of course they burned a hole in their head. (It's the only metaphor I could think of. I know that bk is NOT a relaxer, but I'm just contrasting the strength).
the formaldehyde free ones use a derivative of formaldehyde that use a different technical name but under the same chemical family. Kinda like the way lye and no-lye are used.

OP, a member here, cubanit, had posted in a thread about getting "exploded hair strands" from using BKT. Her posts weren't well received, and I don't think she has posted since.

I'd like to see this...

I just ordered QOD.

Here you go, TheLaurynDoll, better to be informed than sorry :yep: There are pics in the original post and you can get there by clicking the arrow in the post. HTH

I have been getting alot of questions lately in regards to my experiance with BKT. :nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:
its been a year since I first had it done. Sorry ladies but I would not take the plunge again. :perplexed
I honestly dont think the iron has to be set at 450 degrees to set the product in. With that said the passing the iron over your hair ten times is suicide.!!!!!!!!!!!
My hair looked good the first two months . month three I noticed before I went back for another treatment that my hair strands were begining to peel. Yes P E E L ladies. Evenvtually all where the BKT was applied my hair strands began to look like the were exploding. I bought the coppala upkeep products and in all honesty even though I have cut have of my hair off mostely were the BKT was applied i still use them they are really good.

If I could turn back the hands of times I would have probally still tried the product but requested for my stylist to run the iron down my hair shaft one time real slow in my opinion thats all you need.

If you have already done this process CONDITION CONDITION CONDITION!!!
Good luck girl
the first severaql pictures are right after my bKT the las one is my thin frail hair that in nursing back to health.

Oh, and of course, I would like to add that after 4 treatments on my uber fine hair, I am still in :heart2: with my BKT. I have had no peeling, exploding, and nothing but improved condition in hair since beginning. Please see my fotki for many pics since I began applying. The reduction in single strand knots, alone, have been worth every penny. Not to mention the discovery of my post bkt wash n go. I love it!

Last edited:
Back