Woooaaaaaaahhh, Mama!!! mini-review included!

Boadicea

I just re-discovered what EVOO (extra virgin olive oil, for the uninitiated
cool.gif
) can do.

I wanted to do a deep conditioning treatment so I put a half a cup of EVOO in the microwave for 1 minute, and then applied it to my hair and massaged for three minutes, making sure to cover all of my hair with it.

After massaging it in, I applied KeraCare Moisturizing conditioner for dry/itchy scalp and put on a shower cap and hopped under my soft bonnet dryer for 30 minutes.

When it was time to rinse, my hair was the epitome of healthy, blinding shine and unbelievable moisture. And it was soft, soft, soft!

I washed my hair with Infusium 23 shampoo for colored/permed hair and then (this I won't do again) I put on some more of the Kera Care conditioner and left it on for 10 minutes.

My hair looks and feels fantastic! It's got all the "to-die-for" goodies: swing, moisture, shine, softness, elasticity!

For the finishing touches, I applied the Infusium 23 Leave-in spray Original and added CDHHB to my ends and the base.

I will do this treatment (EVOO+KeraCare moisturizing conditioner) twice a week (mon. and thurs.) it's definitely a keeper.

Don't care about the treatment? Are you just here for the mini-review? Here it goes!

Type: 3B/C
Texture: mildly relaxed with LYE. I never leave my relaxer on for more than three minutes tops, therefore my hair is more of a poofy straight than a stick straight texture. I currently have one inch of natural hair.
Condition: thick, color treated (sept 2003)

KeraCare moisturizing conditioner for dry/itchy scalp: I picked this up for half off at JCPs, a week ago. It's the first Keracare product that I've ever tried.

It's white, the consistency of Luster's pink Lotion, smells like peppermint mixed with perfume. It doesn't so much soak into your hair, but it spreads very easily.

This stuff will make your scalp tingle like crazy! Imagine the sensation on your tongue when you suck on a peppermint candy. Now imagine that sensation on your scalp. Yeah. Just like that. it takes some getting used to, but it feels pretty good, actually.

I left this on for ten minutes exactly. The bottle says to leave it on for 15-20 minutes, but I already had some on before and it was left on for 30 minutes.

It rinses well, but doesn't leave you with much slip. I had to add a lot of Miss Key 10 en 1 Super Rinse just to detangle my hair. It also didn't leave my hair very moisturized.

The Verdict: Used a lone, I give this product a 4 out of 10

However, when used with EVOO as a hot oil treatment, it' works pretty well. I wouldn't use it again by itself, though.

I have been wondering for WEEKS what EVOO is.. now I know.. great review!! Sounds good..I would love to try it but my hair is color-treated and I have been reading on another board that olive oil will take the color out of your hair. Is there another oil that I can use?

[ QUOTE ]
RushGirl said:
I have been wondering for WEEKS what EVOO is.. now I know..

[/ QUOTE ]
Check out the thread called 'LHCF Acronyms and Abbreviations and Methods'. EVOO is in there.

[ QUOTE ]
Boadicea said:
Have you tried Jojoba, Coconut, Monoi, or Meadowfoam (I like this one the best)?

[/ QUOTE ]
Where do you get Meadowfoam oil from.....I read some good things about it?
smile.gif
Neutrogena's new line actually has it in there...

Any oil that penetrates the cuticle will leech color from the hair. It's not the type of oil, but how far it seeps into the hair shaft, that allows oil to affect haircolor.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Boadicea said:
Have you tried Jojoba, Coconut, Monoi, or Meadowfoam (I like this one the best)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't tried any on their own..I've only tried stuff that had oil in it.. something along the lines that you would put in your hair before you blow dry it, etc.. and they are usually too heavy for my hair.. but I thought this would be good to use for the moisturizing benefits..and because you wash it out..kwim? I know Jojoba is easy to find..where do you get coconut, monoi and meadowfoam? What makes meadowfoam your favorite?

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
Any oil that penetrates the cuticle will leech color from the hair. It's not the type of oil, but how far it seeps into the hair shaft, that allows oil to affect haircolor.
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So, are there any oils that don't penetrate the hair shaft or that doesn't seep far into it?

This combo is one of my staples (but I have to admit that I add EVOO to 95% of my conditioners
laugh.gif
). I use this deep conditioning treatment AFTER I shampoo and I leave it in for 40-60 minutes with a shower cap and towel around my hair because I don't own a dryer.

After a cool water rinse, my hair detangles easily and is moisturized.

You can find all of those oils at www.fromnaturewithlove.com

Meadowfoam is a very moisturizing oil that can be found in skincare and haircare products. It does seep in, and leaves hair and skin very soft. The website says a little more about it.

Also, it's non greasy.

I'm going to try this out I've been using olive oil as my hot oil pre-treatment before shampooing but I hadn't thought to mix it with a conditioner and keracare has great conditioners so I bet it does turn out really great.

Ccd...I don't really use oils - no. I sometimes add them to my conditioner, but I do so sparingly.

Rushgirl - I'm not sure which oils don't penetrate as much - but it doesn't matter much because you're going to want the oil to penetrate - that's the point of the treatment. You can still use oil when you have color, but you just have to be aware that it is possible that you will lose a little color. Nothing a little "refreshing" with a rinse can't fix.

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:

Rushgirl - I'm not sure which oils don't penetrate as much - but it doesn't matter much because you're going to want the oil to penetrate - that's the point of the treatment. You can still use oil when you have color, but you just have to be aware that it is possible that you will lose a little color. Nothing a little "refreshing" with a rinse can't fix.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would be something "refreshing" that could fix it?? I'm totally clueless
confused.gif

EVOO is one of my staples too. I use it daily (blended) with my hair creme to smooth the new growth. I've got just about every CO that FNWL sells, but I bought the EVOO from camden grey.

My hair is color-treated and I use EVOO on a pretty regular basis as a hot oil treatment. I can't say if it has leeched the color out of my hair or not, though!! If it has, then I don't mind, cuz I'm loving the color of my hair these days!!
grin.gif
(But it does seem like it might be a bit lighter than it's "supposed" to be...
look.gif
)

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
A rinse. Sebastian. Adore. Jazzing (tho I'm not fond of this one).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I got ya.. You mean like the Sebastian colorshines right? If so, I hear that's good stuff! I have to wait a couple of weeks before I get it though..I kinda went overboard on the PJ thing over the last few weeks..LOL
wink.gif

Exactly.
smile.gif
It is good stuff and it works well on most, but some prefer othter, less expensive brands - just so you know.
wink.gif

The Adore is about 4 bucks to Sebastian's 22.

WOW 4 bucks!! Maybe I don't have to wait weeks then..
wink.gif
Where can you get Adore from? Sally?? Is it just called Adore..or Adore + something else?

Thanks for the tip girl!

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
Exactly.
smile.gif
It is good stuff and it works well on most, but some prefer othter, less expensive brands - just so you know.
wink.gif

The Adore is about 4 bucks to Sebastian's 22.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
smile.gif
also, depending on how much you use in your hair ....Sebastians yields several uses...its a big bottle compared to Adore. I think its worth the $$ if you like the results

Back