Need moisture

rwanda

I use cornrows as my protective hairstyle often and it has resulted in good growth, however I have one problem. Whenever I take my braids out and wash my hair I can never seem to get moisture back into my hair. I apply keracare or nexxus humectress, and sit up under my dryer for 20 minutes, I've tried washing my hair in a moisturizing shampoo (CON or keracare dry and itchy scalp moisturizing shampoo) and I've tried a CW. I use the silky yaki hair in my braids and perhaps it strips my hair, but during the time I wear my braids I keep it sprayed down with braid spray mixed with my oils, humectress conditioner, and a leave in daily. Help, I need to know how to put the moisture back into my hair. :wallbash:Any suggestions anyone?

Last edited:
Rwanda, I read somewhere that some hair for braids use an alkaline solution. If that wasn't totally washed out of your hair, it's possible that you may have created a highly porous condition. If you've not tried a clarifying poo, try that or a neutralizing poo like you use after a relaxer. Then see if your hair doesn't respond to your DC. HTH

Thanks Moroni, my hair definitely feels porous. I hate to think of giving up wearing my cornrow styles which are convenient because I work shifts and they keep me out of my hair.

A protein treatment always helps me retain moisture better when I take out my hair. What I do is very time-consuming but this is how I learned to prevent breakage/matting.

I just take out hair section by section, detangle it, saturate each section with oil. Then braid each section (8-12 plats). Un-do each plat and rinse. Then un-do each braid and apply Aphogee Treatment. Follow up with moisturizing conditioner, and my hair is strong and soft. HTH

Hmm...Maybe what you spray your hair with while it's in braids isn't doing the job when it comes to mositurizing your braids? I'm natural, but when I wear braids, I spray with a mix of infusium 23 leave in (original), stasoffro and leave-in conditioner braid spray. I think the protein from the infusium helps a lot. My hair is super soft when I take the braids out. :grin::grin::grin: I then pre-poo with oils like coconut and olive for an hour or overnight, then cowash and DC. For me, prepooing has been very effective in getting moisture into my dry hair.:yep::yep::yep:

Back