Wish I had never henna'd

yodie

Yep... I regret trying henna last week.

So many ladies on this forum have had such great experiences with it.

My hair feels dry, hard and brittle. It's tangles and snaps off where the tangles are. I've deep conditioned (moisturized) three times since I henna'd and its softer, but nothing like it was before.

I'm texlaxed. maybe henna doesn't work on texlaxed hair. I only added yogurt, water and amla oil to my henna. did I mess it up?

I trimmed an inch tonight. I'm trying desperately to grow my hair and make progress. I feel like henna set me back, but I'll catch up with Boundless Tresses (thank you Naturallady)!!

My hair is definitely thicker, but not as soft and tangle free as it was before. I'M SERIOUSLY DISSAPOINTED IN MY HENNA EXPERIENCE.

Just wetset my hair. What a joke. It's all rough and I only used water and detangling spray (Mane and Tail)

I still have half a pack left, but I'll never henna again. I'm trying to learn to do my own hair, but I can't afford costly mistakes.

Thank you!!

I'm spraying Scurl moisturizer on it in hopes that it will soften my hair up some.

I had just gotten a nice curl and some length to my nape area. Henna took the curl and softness away. Dang!! My nape is a challenge area and never usually produces. Thanks to Boundless Tresses, Scurl and prayer, it began thriving. It hasn't broken, just dry!!

I am sorry that you had this experience.
I know for a fact that my hair is always hard after a henna treatment, but after a serious deep condition, it bounces back.
I mentally compare henna to hard core protein like Aphogee...you have to do deep conditioning treatments straight after.
Step up the deep conditioning/ moisture treatments (WITHOUT ANY PROTEIN ) and do very low manipulation till your hair bounces back. But please dont worry too much. This is temporary.
HTH

I'm sorry this happen to you. That's why i"m not doing anything to my hair that might set me back, until I'm ready to start playing in my hair. I just want to grow it right now. Once i get to MBL I'm going to start playing in it. If it brake off i really wouldn't care. I would just cut the damage off and start all over again. For me hair is fun.

My hair felt that way also, It went away after two long deep conditioning: One with Elucence for three/four hours no heat, and the other with Roux. Did the job: No dryness nor brittleness. Scalp does have the itches from using no lye.

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you.

On your hair care journey it's all about learning what works for you and what doesn't. Now at least you know that Henna isn't something that is compatible with your hair.

With vigilant care, your hair will return back to normal.;)

This happened to me the second time I henna'ed

i think its because my mix was too acidic. It took me some weeks (something like a month) but I eventually got my hair back to what it was before. I just had to keep deep conditioning. I was using cholesterol religiously for awhile.

I'm texlaxed and use henna. You do have to deep condition afterwards. I deep condition with heat. I don't add anything to my henna. I do add a little salt to the indigo.
Hope it works out for you.

Hi, I am very sorry this has been your experience. I am texturized with a lye relaxer. I use henna too.

If the henna is not COMPLETELY rinsed out of my hair it will feel hard. My hair is naturally VERY VERY SOFT. All I have to do is make sure NOT to shampoo after the henna treatment. Saturate the hair with moisturizing conditioner wrap with plastic or put on a plastic cap and put on a heat cap. Let that stay on for a few hours. Then when I rinse my hair it feels super soft again and easy to detangle, if there are tangles left at all.

I hope this helps

Softresses

I usually mix my henna with a very moisturizing conditioner and honey along with the AMLA oil...you will still get the added strength and color release w/o the brittle, hard feeling. I still wash and deep condition afterwards though. Hope things get better :)

I'm sorry you had a bad henna experience. I have to mentally prepare myself for a SERIOUS detangling session after a henna treatment. It seems to make it matt together. :confused: After a DC and some TLC my hair usually turns out ok. Your hair will bounce back, and you'll be fine! :)

Mine's a little rough after a henna treatment too. After each treatment I poo, deep condition w/ moisture and heat, rinse, apply my favorite oil and rinse (no poo) again. It works every time.

ETA: I'm texlaxed too.

My hair was really hard and rough after rinsing out my second henna treatment. When it dried, I saw that I hadn't gotten all of the henna out, so I deep conditioned with an ORS Replenishing Pak and rinsed it out until the water started running clear. My hair was so soft (probably because of the ORS) and it still felt strong from the henna. I highly recommend the Replenishing Pak. HTH.

Another vote of sympathy for you....that sucks...! The first time I hennaed, I noticed my hair was hard...I didnt shampoo, I just did a condition wash the next cpl times I washed my hair and it was fine. Now after I henna, I condition with the infusum moisturizing...I just leave it on with a plastic cap for an hour or so (much longer than that Im sure cause I start doing other things and forget all about it..hehe!) and my hair is soft.

my beauty book writteb by an indian lady said that some peoples hair texture can become hard and dry using henna.

she says to mix it with shikakai and amla for this reason

i'm still too scared to try it

my hairs decently strong already

hope you hair gets back upto par

try con washes w/cholesterol and lots of deep treat and hot oils

xx

This usually works. You could try it. Warm up some (not too warm) some extra virgin olive oil and section your hair and slather it on to your dry hair. Put a baggie on overnight. In the morning, before you wet it, apply a moisturizing shampoo and then add a little water to it until your hair is damp with the suds. Shampoo out, do it again.mNow add your moisturizing conditioner and voila!

Softresses said:
If the henna is not COMPLETELY rinsed out of my hair it will feel hard.

ITA with Softresses. The first three times I used henna my hair was hair, dry, and tangly feeling afterwards. I did it again two weeks ago but I detangled and parted my hair into four sections before applying. Also, I used a heating cap this time around and my hair was SUPER soft and had tons of slip, I didn't even have to dc afterwards. :eek: I'm not sure if there's some kind of build up effect with the benefits of henna.

Last edited:
It may be protein overload. I've heard other ladies say they've had similar issues after adding yogurt to their henna mixes. If you're convinced, then you can move on, but I'd try it again without the yogurt and add a moisturizing con into the mix.

HTH
{DI}

I too was going to comment about too much protein. I didn't add any extra protein like yogurt to my henna, it's already a protein treatment. It works for some of the ladies while others like me are more sensitive to protein in the hair. I'm also texlaxed.

The good thing is, what happened to your hair is only temporary. It's not a setback. You can get your soft hair back again by following some of the suggestions the ladies gave here.

Mahalialee4 said:
This usually works. You could try it. Warm up some (not too warm) some extra virgin olive oil and section your hair and slather it on to your dry hair. Put a baggie on overnight. In the morning, before you wet it, apply a moisturizing shampoo and then add a little water to it until your hair is damp with the suds. Shampoo out, do it again.mNow add your moisturizing conditioner and voila!

Thanks, I'll definitely try this.

Thanks to all of you ladies for even caring about how my hair turns out when all of you already have great looking hair.

Ohh.. I'm definitely gonna get a photo up this weekend. I feel bad for talking to all of you without a photo of my hair.

I deep conditioned and co washed the three days following my henna.

My hair is usually super soft, but it sure aint now. Most of you have said that it will come back to my own sense of norm.

Oh.... I've co washed with V05 tea tree and deep conditioned with Loreal Relaxed and Natural, NTM conditioner and MOP conditioner.

Any other suggestions, I'll take them.

Divine Inspiration said:
It may be protein overload. I've heard other ladies say they've had similar issues after adding yogurt to their henna mixes. If you're convinced, then you can move on, but I'd try it again without the yogurt and add a moisturizing con into the mix.

HTH
{DI}

Okay ladies. You're probably right. Guess it was wayyyy too much of a protein mix for my hair. Maybe conditioner would've been better.

Duhh... why didn't I think to use conditioner instead of yogurt.

raeshan said:
Okay ladies. You're probably right. Guess it was wayyyy too much of a protein mix for my hair. Maybe conditioner would've been better.

Duhh... why didn't I think to use conditioner instead of yogurt.

I KNOW I'M LATE, BUT MY HAIR FELT THE SAME AFTER I HENNA'D THE FIRST TIME. ALSO, I WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN WHEN I'M DUE FOR A RELAXER(TOO MUCH TANGLE). ANYHOW, THE SECOND TIME AROUND, I MIXED THE HENNA WITH COCONUT MILK INSTEAD OF WATER AND CONDITIONER. I ALSO ADDED SOME AMLA OIL AND HONEY, MAYBE 2TBSP EACH. I KNEW THE MILK WOULD ADD THE MOISTURE I WAS SEEKING. AND BABY, DID IT MAKE THE DIFFERENCE. I WAS SO THRILLED WITH THE RESULT'S. I USED 100G, 50G SKIKAKAI, COCO MILK, THE OIL AND HONEY.....I KNEW THEN THAT THIS WOULD BE A STAPLE FOR SURE. HTH

Henna dried my hair out too, but only temporarily. I did exactly what you aren't supposed to do! I used it undiluted!

It took about a week of DC before my hair was soft again, but it was worth it for the color, and I didn't have any extra breakage.

I am sorry that this happened to you!

I had my best henna experience a couple of weeks ago when I used hot water to mix the henna and nothing else. My hair was alot softer than a normal henna treatment. I think my hair doesn't like the added oils, protiens (milk, yogurt) or acids.

Re: Wish I had never henna'd - Things are turning around!!!

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for all of your support and encouraging words. My hair has softened up just like most of you said. Scurl is a life saver. I spritzed my hair twice a day and it just got very soft again.

I don't want to scare others off from henna. I just didn't know that it was a super strong protein treatment. My hair craves and thrives off moisture.

So, will I henna again? Ummm... I'm scared too, but maybe I can try one of the different mixtures that you ladies suggested. I'm just scared.

Oh... Just got my touchup today and my stylist said, "wow... no breakage or shedding." The initial shedding from the henna stopped. Now I can see the semi reddish brown highlights and I like them.

Tried to change the title of this post as I don't want to scare newbie hennas.

Luv ya ladies

Back