Wig, Weave and Ponytail Challenge 2022-2024

I have many synthetic units that I want to try but I'm allergic to the base coating,

I'm interested in human hair wigs, but I can't see myself wearing hair that was someone'sacrifice.

I just experienced a major set back at the hands of a stylist. I’m hiding my hair until I can gain trust and find a new person to do detangling and braid downs. Installing a kinky curly sew in today. I will keep that in for six weeks. Switch to a u part wig for a few weeks then back to a sew in.

It’s payday and I bought 6 wigs. Still looking for the perfect everyday work wig. I bought a few half wigs but I just prefer head band wigs. I bought a synthetic headband wig at my local beauty supply and I’m in love. Im retiring my kinky curly unit until it gets warmer.

currently doing the deep moisture method under my wigs and it’s going well but my hair looks a bit flaky in some spots. I also moisturize my hair daily. It has been such a habit I can’t help it any more. Maybe when I really start whittling away at my stash I’ll reduce moisturizing 2-3 times a week. But I got a lot of deep conditioner to get through.

My new favorite work wig tangled up so bad on me today. It’s synthetic but it has a pretty wave pattern. I put some Mielle mousse on it in hopes I can at least get a few more days wear out of it. It seems like I am switching back to human hair wigs again

My new favorite work wig tangled up so bad on me today. It’s synthetic but it has a pretty wave pattern. I put some Mielle mousse on it in hopes I can at least get a few more days wear out of it. It seems like I am switching back to human hair wigs again
Isn't fabric softener supposed to do the trick for refreshing synthetic wigs? Maybe you can try that?

Last edited:
Misplaced my stand by wig the other day and found one in another closet. It got me through the day but now I'll be washing all my wigs this weekend. You forget how easy it is for them to tangle and just overall get dusty really quickly.

I might try that. The mousse worked but kind of made the hair flat
I'll try to find some threads to link, I used to get all sorts of tips from the wig ladies over at BHM. That was one that stood out to me bc I only dabble in synthetic wigs. I don't know if I'm able to link to that site from here so I'll see if there are any on LHCF.

Ok this post:

Hi Divinefavor,

Does your wig have curly or straight hair?

If it is straight, then you should detangle it before washing. I use a dollar-store vent brush - starting at the ends working my way to the roots.

If it is curly, try to only finger detangle. Brushing your curls may cause them to lose its shape forever. To wash:

• Fill basin with warm water and shampoo (just a few squirts). I swish the water around to make sure the shampoo is diluted evenly.
  • Submerge the wig and let it soak. It up to you how long, but I normally let mine soak for 10-20 mins.
  • Gentle raise and lower the wig into the shampoo water (I never scrub the wig or the hair) and then rinse, rinse, rinse & rinse.
  • Fill basin with 1 part fabric softener and 2 part warm water (enough to cover the entire wig) and let it soak for 5-10 mins.
  • Gentle raise and lower the wig in the same matter into the softener water. You should notice that the hair looks smooth and silkier. Rinse (I make sure the wig cap is rinsed well since this will touch my scalp) I don't add any conditioners or other products to the wig.
  • I hang my wig on my showerhead to drip dry. Don't try to comb/brush the WET wig. Let it DRY completely before you try to style it.
  • Once dried, I usually just give it a quick shake for the hair to fall perfectly. This is the ONLY time when I may add a tiny amount of product for shine.

Hope this helps!

p.s. also consider that you may need to trim the ends slightly if they are rough/tangled because of contact stress from your clothing.

Is from this thread:

Ms. CurliDiva was dropping more helpful tips in this thread as well:

And a few other ladies cosigned on the fabric softener.

HTH! :)

I brought like 10 wigs (don’t judge) a few days ago. I usually buy in bulk and return anything I don’t like. I think the restocking fee is worth it if I can find wigs that look natural and fit my face. Thank goodness I read the terms and conditions of the website I brought the wigs from. They said you can only return up to 3 wigs per order…….so I split up my order into two lol.

The wigs I have now are raggedy, I needed to re-up. I stopped trying to save them a long time ago, it’s just too much work and they’re never the same. I was looking crazy for my Zoom calls for work and school. I was trying to wear my natural hair more but with school, forget about it.

Hi, has anyone seen the "new" nappy baby hairs lace front wigs in person?

I love this idea but the few YouTube videos I've seen seems like extra work to get it to look right....

Hi, has anyone seen the "new" nappy baby hairs lace front wigs in person?

I love this idea but the few YouTube videos I've seen seems like extra work to get it to look right....
I've only seen them on video and some highly filtered clips. While the idea is cute if the whole wig is textured, I'm not that into it. People seem so obsessed with baby hairs, now your wig is looking like your press is sweating out and to look like you haven't just woken up, you'll probably have to style the life out of those nappy baby hairs.

I am being drawn to less adventurous wigs and really wanting a softer look. I didn’t look bad before but for some reason I desire a more effortless look.

Lol my boyfriend says he prefers the ponytail/bun look but I feel like I look so plain with my hair slicked back. I’m currently wearing my hair in a bun. I feel prettier with my 10 inch human hair ponytails. They are all air drying right now. I wish I had left one dry because it’s cold and not drying fast

Lol my boyfriend says he prefers the ponytail/bun look but I feel like I look so plain with my hair slicked back. I’m currently wearing my hair in a bun. I feel prettier with my 10 inch human hair ponytails. They are all air drying right now. I wish I had left one dry because it’s cold and not drying fast
Boys don’t get the vavavoom

Where are you ladies getting some of your wigs from? Most of mine honestly come from my local BSS but they don't update their selections that often so I feel like I've seen all I'm going to see from them. I try to look at YT reviews but most of the ladies get theirs free as PR. Right now, I want to splurge a little on a very nice lace front but I want a reputable place to get it at.

Where are you ladies getting some of your wigs from? Most of mine honestly come from my local BSS but they don't update their selections that often so I feel like I've seen all I'm going to see from them. I try to look at YT reviews but most of the ladies get theirs free as PR. Right now, I want to splurge a little on a very nice lace front but I want a reputable place to get it at.
I ordered a lace front from myfirstwig. The quality was very nice. However I did end up sending it back because size 2 was too big and when I adjusted it, there were gaps in the back. I'm tempted to try a size 1 but I don't cornrows my hair and the wig may be too small. Wish their sizing was better.

Back