Half Wig or a Weave

Kinkyhairlady

I am torn deciding should I get a half wig or a weave. I need help deciding. Below would be my regimen for either or.

If I go with the weave

-Full weave for about a month to 2 months with hair cornrowed underneath
-Remove after a month or so , condition and redo

If I go with the half wig

-Wash, Condition ever two weeks and cornrow hair leaving edges out to wear half wig.

My hair is currently natural but I want it to grow out long and healthy before I go back to a relaxer so I wanted to do the weaving to reach that goal, I am just not sure which method would give me better results.

i say the wig because you cannot get to your scalp with the weave and sometimes you want to rip that sucker out when you cant scratch or oil that scalp properly

I vote for 1/2 wig...I am a pro at both and for hair care purposes, I opt for the half wig because I have better access to my hair. I now reserve weaves for special occasions and opt for 1/2 wigs for my everyday life.

Weave.

IF you get good quality weave hair and IF you get someone good to install it, it would be perfect because:

1) You would not have to worry about blending and/or positioning
2) You can still wash, co-wash or condition
3) You can get to your scalp with a nozzle tip bottle

Weaves grew my hair so much, I love them as protective styles, but I'd say the wig as it allows you to look after your hair at the same time, thats what I'm doing now but with quick weaves.

I vote for a human 1/2 wig...I love them a lot, I am currently wearing one daily and remove it everynight to moisturize and handle my hair with care. I used a 1/2 wig way back in 2003 but stopped because my boyfriend really doesn't like fake hair. But restarted this year and he has no choice but to like it, especially until he puts a ring on it!!!:yep:

Cool, sounds like the 1/2 wig is the way to go. what about the issues I hear about the edges being damaged due to the tooth of the comb? How are you guys preventing that? also do I need to wear a cap under the half wig?

Cool, sounds like the 1/2 wig is the way to go. what about the issues I hear about the edges being damaged due to the tooth of the comb? How are you guys preventing that? also do I need to wear a cap under the half wig?

Ive been wearing a half wig for almost 5 months now and I have no problems at all with my edges. My mom even commented on how "full" my hairline looks.

What I do is I ALWAYS take out the combs in the wig. They WILL cause breakage.

I use bobby clips to secure the wig. I dont wear a wig cap.

I would choose a half wig because like everyone said you have more access to your hair and can DC and moisturize better, plus half wigs are much cheaper if you buy them synthetic. I pay $20 for my half wigs comapred to the $150 I would spend on a weave plus I dont trust stylists.

I wear a wig cap under my half wigs. For edges, I use castor oil at night, dont leave the wig on for longer than I need it and I deep condition at least once a week. I dont use the combs on the sides, just for the top (place them underneath the cap with mositurizer on it) and at the back.

I vote for a human 1/2 wig...I love them a lot, I am currently wearing one daily and remove it everynight to moisturize and handle my hair with care. I used a 1/2 wig way back in 2003 but stopped because my boyfriend really doesn't like fake hair. But restarted this year and he has no choice but to like it, especially until he puts a ring on it!!!:yep:

My fiance hates false hair too.....the few occasions i've worn a fake pony he just commented on how nice my hair looked :perplexed.

I'm going to start wearing my half wig at the weekend - lets see what he says.....

If you decide to wear half-wigs, check out muffinismylovers' channel on youtube for ideas and tutorials. She uses non-heat techniques for blending and has beautiful, healthy looking hair. In one demo she shows how she does her circular braid and I was gobsmacked when I saw how thick and long her hair is.

If you're worried about the combs in the wigs (sometimes they do look lethal) try taking them out and sewing in wig clips instead.

Good luck! :)

Oh now I want a half wig!:ohwell:

I'm currently in a weave and trying to keep it in for 3 months (till December). :look:
I've done the half-wig thing and it was great. If I could build a bigger collection and then use different styles at similar lengths weekly, I would LOVE IT!:weird:
I'll just have to ride this out till end of November!:nono: Oh well!

Back