WIG CHALLENGE 2010

I think I will do 2-4 braids with a wig cap over it. My hair isnt thick so it will be fine, plus most of my wigs are curly.

Just wondering wig challengers...

Do you wear braids under your wigs? If you do... how often do you redo the braids?
Do you wash and DC in your braids?

Hey SelfStyled,

That wig is pure FABULOUSNESS! :grin:

I'm adding it to my shopping list for this week!

I wear either cornrows or just two french braids under my wigs. I can easily get to my scalp and hair as needed.

The french braids I tend to re-do everyday after moisturizing and sealing without combing. My current set of cornrows has been in for 3 1/2 weeks now which is so long for me, but I'm trying to manipulate my hair less often.

I can easily wash, condition and moisturize.

Here is the inspire 2 I got the other day.
I did end up cutting a few inches this morning.

Attachments

• inspire 2.jpg
    inspire 2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 69
i want in! im gonna be going back and forth between wigs and protective styling. I only have 1 wearable wig but im gonna get another tom so hopefully i can do with those 2

OK I am in!! I just ordered three new wigs from hairsisters (see below) ...I will be switching between wigs and protective styling...in order to avoid mistakes I made the last few months I will make the following adjustments:
1. I won't use tape or glue--these werent the problem; not taking the wig off enough and dealing with my real hair were!

2.I will remove the wig at least every two days to tend to my hair and scalp with moisturizer

3. I will do my own braids under the wig; even if they arent cornrows it has to be better than letting others play tug or war with my hair

http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/img/ProductImages/shake-n-go/WEAVE MASTER/Cleopatra12_M.jpg

http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/img/ProductImages/shake-n-go/EQUAL LACE FRONT/JOJO_M.jpg

http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/img/ProductImages/shake-n-go/freetress fullcap/bali-girl_M.jpg

OK I am in!! I just ordered three new wigs from hairsisters (see below) ...I will be switching between wigs and protective styling...in order to avoid mistakes I made the last few months I will make the following adjustments:
1. I won't use tape or glue--these werent the problem; not taking the wig off enough and dealing with my real hair were!

2.I will remove the wig at least every two days to tend to my hair and scalp with moisturizer

3. I will do my own braids under the wig; even if they arent cornrows it has to be better than letting others play tug or war with my hair

http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/img/ProductImages/shake-n-go/WEAVE MASTER/Cleopatra12_M.jpg

http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/img/ProductImages/shake-n-go/EQUAL LACE FRONT/JOJO_M.jpg

http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/img/ProductImages/shake-n-go/freetress fullcap/bali-girl_M.jpg
:lick: Make sure you post pics of Bali Girl ( i just ordered) and JoJo (will be getting soon).

My New Wig:

Picnikcollageb.jpg

Vanessa Express Weave -- La Zeta

My hair is cornrowed in a circle underneath. I plan to keep the braids in at least 4 weeks (co-washing every other day or less).

I braided up my hair today so I can wear my wig tomorrow. Its my first time wearing a wig so I'm kind of nervous..... I plan on wearing it to work on Monday, I'm nervous about that as well b/c for some reason someone always has something to say about my hair... its not like I care about what they say....its just annoying. I will post a pic tomorrow

My New Wig:

Picnikcollageb.jpg

Vanessa Express Weave -- La Zeta

My hair is cornrowed in a circle underneath. I plan to keep the braids in at least 4 weeks (co-washing every other day or less).

I seen your siggy pic on hairsisters, after I seen your pic I put the wig in the basket. Do you have it bumped in the front?

Can you add me to the list?

I just recieved my hair today?

I am growing out a messed up haircut and slicking my hair back has become tired already after 4 weeks?

Hi! I wanna join this challenge, I hope it's not too late. I have been using wigs, half wigs and lacefronts already so this will be an easy challenge for me. I am wearing Birdie in my siggie and I also like Carmen, April and Lela right now.:yep:

Hairsisters is taking their sweet time! I ordered last Saturday and it still says processing...seeing all your cute wigs is making me impatient

I'm going to try it for awhile. I wore Tammy by Outre for New Year's Eve, and after watching some YT videos on blending, I'm pretty good at it now. I want to give my hair a break, but be able to deep condition, moisturize and treat it while looking good too.

COUNT ME IN!

ETA: I have a confession :blush: Another reason why I'm joining this challenge is b/c I had a mishap with some shears in November...I decided that I was going to BC b/c of imagined heat damage...or as a change..I don't know..I mean, I'm already natural..but I think I wanted a fresh start. Anyway, I figured that if I took a clump of my hair, and just started cutting without thinking, that I wouldn't change my mind about cutting my hair short...long story short...I changed my mind :lachen: and am stuck with a TWA at the crown, while everything else is between APL/BSL. Luckily, it's not noticeable when I wear it straight or curly...but come on :rolleyes:

So I'm contemplating cutting all my hair off anyway, or most of it...but I want to be consistent with wearing half wigs before I do...this challenge might give me the incentive to do just that.

Wheeww...felt good to get that off my fingertips...even though I felt (and still kinda do) dumb about it at the time, it can't be undone now.

:yep:

Last edited:
I've seen some half wigs that have a curlier texture and wouldn't be a dead give-away with a nappy hairline, lol. I mean, if you look at women who relax, lots of times the length of thier hair is bone straight and those roots are nappy when it's just about relaxer time. So it's not like having a the same setup with your wig is going to blow up your spot, lol. People may just think you are due for a relaxer.

If you aren't cool with wearing them, that's your bizness of course :lol: I'm just explaining why I don't sweat it too tough.

I wear straight looks and curly or wavy looks either with the scarf/headband method, or by blending. I had no idea how to blend until I saw muffinismylover on youtube. Since finding her channel, I'm good to go with a half wig. I think she might relax...but her methods work for me and I'm natural too.

I wear straight looks and curly or wavy looks either with the scarf/headband method, or by blending. I had no idea how to blend until I saw muffinismylover on youtube. Since finding her channel, I'm good to go with a half wig. I think she might relax...but her methods work for me and I'm natural too.

InNeedofHairapy touched on a great "wig" resource YOUTUBE! YouTube has a ton of videos of women reviewing various wig styles - full, half, lace, lace front.

Sometimes, you just can't get a true sense of how a wig looks from vendor websites (why do most of the professional wig models look like HOOKERS to me), but the women on YouTube show each wig in all of its glory along with tips on how well it held up.

Just search YouTube for the wig name or wig brand and you will find a video 9 times out of ten.....

Am I allowed to join? My wig won't arrive for about 1 week+ but I'd like to get rid of my weave and still look presentable without playing with my hair too much.

Happy New Year to you all!

InNeedofHairapy touched on a great "wig" resource YOUTUBE! YouTube has a ton of videos of women reviewing various wig styles - full, half, lace, lace front.

Sometimes, you just can't get a true sense of how a wig looks from vendor websites (why do most of the professional wig models look like HOOKERS to me), but the women on YouTube show each wig in all of its glory along with tips on how well it held up.

Just search YouTube for the wig name or wig brand and you will find a video 9 times out of ten.....

Wow...they really DO look like hookers most of the time :lachen:

..and it really does make a difference to see what it actually looks like on a real person. I was not at all interested in Polly by OUtre until I saw it on a couple of heads, and it doesn't look like a Grandma wig like I thought...

I think on one of the hair vendor sites, there are women tht post pics of themselves with their wigs on too (hairsisters) to give others an idea of how it will look

ETA: The one in my siggy is Tammy by Outre. I love her, but have only worn her once. I feel like it's too much hair!!! It's natural looking, but too full in the back or something..might thin it out since I think I saw some wig/weave shear/thinner type tools in the bss..but I love her..blending is pretty easy, and this is the closest to my color..if not a damn near perfect match.

Last edited:
Here is IVY, She is currently my favorite, the pictures does her no good, matter fact it makes my face look HUGE! but I love her!!!!!!

took these pictures ten minutes ago, I am wearing her today!!! :grin::grin:

Last edited:
THis is Mira, I had to cut her bangs b/c they were a bit too long for me to wear to work. I did get one compliment on her today. I just ordered 2 more wigs today, one for work and one for play.

Attachments

• P1020057.JPG
    P1020057.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 24
  • P1020064.JPG
    P1020064.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 22
Back