Which do you use?

• Lye relaxer

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • No-lye relaxer

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bellebebe

While reading the award winning hair care book: "Beautiful black hair" real solutions to real problems.
by Shamboosie
I came across a passage which was titled "why the real lye is a better buy".
It said the following.
"Contrary to popular belief, a conditionning lye relaxer is the best relaxer for you hair and scalp. It will leave the hair silkier and softer by conditioning as it relaxes the hair. The conditioning lye relaxer allows the hair to recieve moisture from conditioners it needs to retain it's softness and to remain pliable. There is no calcium buildup and no extreme dryness, which you always get with a no-lye relaxer. The conditioning lye relaxer leaves the cuticle layer of the hair healthier with every application (and that's no lie).

This means that when your hair is shampooed, conditioned and styled, it will have more body, bounce, and shine. These are terms seldom associated with black hair today. The use of the conditioning lye relaxer, will assist in helping your hair grow longer, faster, as long as you keep it well conditioned.

The biggest problem with the no-lye relaxer is that the calcium buildup locks the hair, sealing the cuticle, and will not allow the hair to recieve moisture from shampoos and conditioners it needs to remain soft to the touch, pliable and capapble of holding it's curl and it's style."

For all of you ladies who use the no lye-relaxer, It's fine as long as you know how to take care of it. I guess this passage was seldom associated with black women WHO DO NOT KNOW how to care for their hair. We're all pro's in that field so just continue your routine.

Last edited:
Lye relaxers are better for hair....but if you have sensitive scalp it will:couchfire:...So I prefer no-lye......I can't do lye relaxer no matter what brand....

When I relaxed my hair maaaaaaany years ago- my hairdresser was adamant about the use of lye vs. no lye- saying that no-lye was a hair disaster cause it dried hair out .
For all the no lye ladies- is Shamboosies claim valid? How do you fight the calcium deposits and why is no lye a preference for people?

:nono:Im not planning a return to relaxing but Im curious:yep:

When I relaxed my hair maaaaaaany years ago- my hairdresser was adamant about the use of lye vs. no lye- saying that no-lye was a hair disaster cause it dried hair out .
For all the no lye ladies- is Shamboosies claim valid? How do you fight the calcium deposits and why is no lye a preference for people?

Very true..Deep conditioning....Moisturizing daily.....and Pre pooing help !!!
Trust me my hair is anything but dry....I rather do more work than go through the torture of a lye relaxer

My scalp is just too sensitive for lye. Sense I don't relax often I don't worry, I also add olive oil to my relaxer.

I'm not a no-lye lady but using a chelating shampoo helps.

well far as calcium build up is concerned there are shampoos for that ... like ors sells a shampoo that removes calcium build up and stuff... and also in my opinion i have used no lye for a long time and my hair has still grown and its moisturized so i dunno... it can be that bad.. i see the cons but they can be fixed.

Very true..Deep conditioning....Moisturizing daily.....and Pre pooing help !!!
Trust me my hair is anything but dry....I rather do more work than go through the torture of a lye relaxer

:lachen:
That's very true. I'd rather do more work than have a burnt scalp. My scalp isn't sensitive so I don't really have to worry about that... What makes a scalp sensitive anyway?

Thanks for posting that info Belle. I was wondering why people were negative toward the no-lye relaxers.

I too can't take the lye because I usually end up with scalp burns. I would also like to know how to combat the calcium build-up.

well far as calcium build up is concerned there are shampoos for that ... like ors sells a shampoo that removes calcium build up and stuff... and also in my opinion i have used no lye for a long time and my hair has still grown and its moisturized so i dunno... it can be that bad.. i see the cons but they can be fixed.

:yep:

...and my (African-American female) dermatologist asked me last year what kind of relaxer I used and I told her and she was like good because lye will eat your scalp up...

I was like...okaaaaaaaaay...:blush:

*disclaimer: just saying what the derm said...I ain't said it...:look:*

Thanks for posting that info Belle. I was wondering why people were negative toward the no-lye relaxers.

I too can't take the lye because I usually end up with scalp burns. I would also like to know how to combat the calcium build-up.

Anytime girly. For the buildup, just use a clarifying shampoo. I use suave's clarifying shapoo and let me tell you... I LOVE IT! It's like I can breath again lol and leaves my hair very soft.

My scalp is just too sensitive for lye. Sense I don't relax often I don't worry, I also add olive oil to my relaxer.

I started doing this as well. The sales lady at my local BSS recommended this to me. I use Precise, which she said was a good perm, but she said to add 2 teaspoons of EVOO to the mix and it will help with the moisture. I did it and "LOVED" how my hair come out. I'm definitely going to continue applying my relaxer this way going forward.

I started doing this as well. The sales lady at my local BSS recommended this to me. I use Precise, which she said was a good perm, but she said to add 2 teaspoons of EVOO to the mix and it will help with the moisture. I did it and "LOVED" how my hair come out. I'm definitely going to continue applying my relaxer this way going forward.

Oh wow! I've got to look into that.

...and my (African-American female) dermatologist asked me last year what kind of relaxer I used and I told her and she was like good because lye will eat your scalp up...

Hummm Interesting.....

Anytime girly. For the buildup, just use a clarifying shampoo. I use suave's clarifying shapoo and let me tell you... I LOVE IT! It's like I can breath again lol and leaves my hair very soft.

You have to use a chelating shampoo to remove mineral buildup

I went out and brought Mizani's Neutralizing & Chelating Shampoo, how often should I use it? Monthly, weekly????? :drunk: When I perm with my Precise no-lye relaxer, I follow with Precise's neutralizing shampoo, so, do I even need this?

Not all of them. Some clarifying shampoos are chelating ones but it will say so. Clarifying shampoo removes product build up. Chelating shampoo removes mineral deposits and medications from the hair.

Okay...the ORS Creamy Aloe says that it can assist in preventing calcium, magnesium and iron build-up on the hair as well as protect it from environmental elements...

still need a chelating poo or is this sufficient?

Okay...the ORS Creamy Aloe says that it can assist in preventing calcium, magnesium and iron build-up on the hair as well as protect it from environmental elements...

still need a chelating poo or is this sufficient?

That will work. It has chelating qualities.

Sooooo Mona, are you trying to tell me that I need to switch to Phyto:look:

That will work. It has chelating qualities.

Sooooo Mona, are you trying to tell me that I need to switch to Phyto:look:

:huh:...what da?

Now you knowwwwwww...you ain't heard nothing like that from me :nono:. I recommend Phyto to no one. Nada. Nyet. :nono:

I used to. I stopped. I've never seen a product so dogged out...you would never get me to do that. If you decided to try..it would be of your own accord cuz...

I love it, but it ain't for everybody. Go back and read the threads :ohwell:...nuff said.

:huh:...what da?

Now you knowwwwwww...you ain't heard nothing like that from me :nono:. I recommend Phyto to no one. Nada. Nyet. :nono:

I used to. I stopped. I've never seen a product so dogged out...you would never get me to do that. If you decided to try..it would be of your own accord cuz...

I love it, but it ain't for everybody. Go back and read the threads :ohwell:...nuff said.

Really? I guess I need to go read the phyto threads:ohwell:

Lye relaxers are better for hair....but if you have sensitive scalp it will:couchfire:...So I prefer no-lye......I can't do lye relaxer no matter what brand....

I use Mizani lye and suprisingly it doesnt really burn me. I've used no lye's that burned me wayyyyyyyyyy more.

Using a chelating shampoo can remove the calcium buildup from the no lye.

I dont think one is better than the other.

Not all of them. Some clarifying shampoos are chelating ones but it will say so. Clarifying shampoo removes product build up. Chelating shampoo removes mineral deposits and medications from the hair.

I just had a lightbulb moment. Could a relaxer not take if you are on a lot of meds? I think a chelating poo might be the answer for me.

Okay, I'm officially scared........:sad:

Back