Why the lye relaxer is a better buy...

Which do you use?

• Lye relaxer

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • No-lye relaxer

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My hair was healthy until 3 years ago. Around June 2005, my hair started changing. First I noticed a lot of shedding, then breakage in nape area, and thinning of my hair overall!!!!:perplexed My stylist(for nearly ten years) told me it was due to postpartum breakage and stress of being a new mom. Hmmmmmmm!!!! She was using Affirm before and during my pregnancy. I became a PJ buying everthing from Affirm, started taking vitamins, and increased my water intake. My hair continued to suffer. :wallbash:

One day while waiting at the salon, I noticed she was not using Affirm relaxer; she switched to Hawaiian Silky.....what the heck!!! I asked her was there any difference in the relaxers and she assured me my problems was "stress" related....yeah right! Well I decided to take matters into my own hands and switched stylists in August 2006.

My new stylist used Affirm relaxers and decided because of my sensitive scalp to utilize the sensitive scalp(no-lye) formula on me. My hair looked better but the thinning all over continued.:wallbash: Fast forward to November 2007 when I found Macherieamour and LHCF....hooray!!!!:grin:

I immediately started doing research on relaxers and realized maybe my hair issue was related to lye vs. no lye relaxers. I realized my past stylist for ten years always used lye relaxers until she switched in 2005. I researched here and decided to try either ORS lye relaxer or Mizani for Fine/Color treated lye relaxer.

My stylist recommended the Mizani and what a difference!!!! My scalp did not burn, my hair was not limp, and the shine of my hair was insane. I have never seen these results with my hair since June 2005. I am convinced that lye relaxers are better for my hair. Thanks to Santia, Gymfreak, MedMunky, HT family, and so many others on helping me revamp my regimen and start my journey back to healthy, shiny, bouncy hair!!!:grin:

Sorry so long!!!

I use precise also and I have no problems. :( I don't know if I buy the idea of lye relaxers being SO much better. ALl the Dominican salons usually use no lye. Why is that? Is it just b/c those relaxers are cheaper?

I use precise also and I have no problems. :( I don't know if I buy the idea of lye relaxers being SO much better. ALl the Dominican salons usually use no lye. Why is that? Is it just b/c those relaxers are cheaper?

I've worked in salons for years and most salons use no lye...b/c everyone can't use lye....and most people are not educated on the difference

I think lye gets a BAD rap. When I would tell my friends I use lye, they'd look at me like i was out my mind.

Sistaslick had an article about the difference betwene lye and no-lye. If everyone read that article they would realize that one is not better than the other, unless you have sensitive scalp then maybe no lye would be best.

I think lye gets a BAD rap. When I would tell my friends I use lye, they'd look at me like i was out my mind.

Sistaslick had an article about the difference betwene lye and no-lye. If everyone read that article they would realize that one is not better than the other, unless you have sensitive scalp then maybe no lye would be best.

I could not agree more. I think my post was so long because I was trying to give background info about how I found lye relaxers are better for "me".

My hair comes out at the root when it breaks off. I started using ORS no-lye back in August. My hair has NEVER been this thick nor has it ever grown this fast before. It is a little drier with the no-lye relaxer, but since I am one of those weirdos who actually LIKES to DC under the dryer, I take care of the dryness problem.

I think Shamboosie's claim is valid. My hair did much better once I switched to lye. But as we all know what works for one person's hair may not work for the next person.

I agree. I think the major issue is that people don't know or understand the differences each one has in terms of what you need to do after to take care of your hair. Then you blame the relaxer but really it was you and your lack of education. Also people need to follow the relaxer instructions. Many people that have problems with Affirm also did not use the 5n1 right after rinsing the relaxer.

Also, a poorly applied relaxer, lye or no lye, is going to give poor results. You should be basing your scalp everytime you touch up and your previously relaxed hair needs to be protected. If you use no-lye, just remember that you can still do damage to your scalp and hair if you use it improperly. That is one problem that some women run into with no-lye. They think its "Safer" so they leave it on longer which still damages the hair and scalp. If you use no lye than you need to have a chelating shampoo on hand. If you use lye, you need to pay attention to the condition of your scalp.

I started doing this as well. The sales lady at my local BSS recommended this to me. I use Precise, which she said was a good perm, but she said to add 2 teaspoons of EVOO to the mix and it will help with the moisture. I did it and "LOVED" how my hair come out. I'm definitely going to continue applying my relaxer this way going forward.

OMG....

I put a relaxer in my hair this morning (ORS no-lye) and tried this.

I think I've died and gone to hair heaven!!!

My hair feels completely different.

I've worked in salons for years and most salons use no lye...b/c everyone can't use lye....and most people are not educated on the difference

Most professional perms are lye perms. Most salons use professional perms. No lye eats my hair up terribly. I would look at the end of my hair shaft and it would look like an explosion happen. More than split , they were bombed. No lye is a whole lot of work to me. I would rather base the hell out of my scalp and lye.

[/b]
I just had a lightbulb moment. Could a relaxer not take if you are on a lot of meds? I think a chelating poo might be the answer for me.

I did a long post (a couple of years ago) about Redken's advice regarding how to prepare your hair for a relaxer and deposit build-up on the hair.

If you chelate and deep condition a few days before your relaxer, the relaxing process will be consistent. Omit the use of certain styling aids. Also, refrain from drinking acidic drinks and drinks lots of water a few days before relaxing.

I relaxed with a lye and it started tingling when it was time to rinse out. No-lye's would burn like crazy and I would get a lot of scabs. I really think it is all about preparation and care for your hair and scalp. Also, I based my scalp with a thin layer of vaseline before I relaxed.

I have a say that my hair feels totally different with a lye than it did with a no-lye. The hair has a moist feeling to it and I don't have to slather so much conditioner on it as I had to with no-lyes. I've always chelated once/week so I know that calcium build-up wasn't the problem. The best no-lye that I used was Affirm Fiberguard but it still did not give me the texture that the lye gives. I did grow my hair from above brastrap to waistlength with a no-lye relaxer though.

Most professional perms are lye perms. Most salons use professional perms. No lye eats my hair up terribly. I would look at the end of my hair shaft and it would look like an explosion happen. More than split , they were bombed. No lye is a whole lot of work to me. I would rather base the hell out of my scalp and lye.

WOW Cubanit, I agree with your entire post, especially the bolded. I do not aggravate my scalp at all when I'm about 3 or 4 days just before I relax. The night before my relaxer, I do a heavy basing of my scalp with Vaseline Petroleum Jelly using my fingers to part my hair and not a comb. I don't get burns anymore. My hair however is now amazingly soft and co-operative with me, my conditioners and moisturizers. Needless to say, my hair is happier now that I've switched to Lye relaxers.

I did a long post (a couple of years ago) about Redken's advice regarding how to prepare your hair for a relaxer and deposit build-up on the hair.
If you chelate and deep condition a few days before your relaxer, the relaxing process will be consistent. Omit the use of certain styling aids. Also, refrain from drinking acidic drinks and drinks lots of water a few days before relaxing.

I relaxed with a lye and it started tingling when it was time to rinse out. No-lye's would burn like crazy and I would get a lot of scabs. I really think it is all about preparation and care for your hair and scalp. Also, I based my scalp with a thin layer of vaseline before I relaxed.

I have a say that my hair feels totally different with a lye than it did with a no-lye. The hair has a moist feeling to it and I don't have to slather so much conditioner on it as I had to with no-lyes. I've always chelated once/week so I know that calcium build-up wasn't the problem. The best no-lye that I used was Affirm Fiberguard but it still did not give me the texture that the lye gives. I did grow my hair from above brastrap to waistlength with a no-lye relaxer though.

Do you still have that info?

The bolded is interesting. I learn something new everyday!

I agree. I think the major issue is that people don't know or understand the differences each one has in terms of what you need to do after to take care of your hair. Then you blame the relaxer but really it was you and your lack of education. Also people need to follow the relaxer instructions. Many people that have problems with Affirm also did not use the 5n1 right after rinsing the relaxer.

Also, a poorly applied relaxer, lye or no lye, is going to give poor results. You should be basing your scalp everytime you touch up and your previously relaxed hair needs to be protected. If you use no-lye, just remember that you can still do damage to your scalp and hair if you use it improperly. That is one problem that some women run into with no-lye. They think its "Safer" so they leave it on longer which still damages the hair and scalp. If you use no lye than you need to have a chelating shampoo on hand. If you use lye, you need to pay attention to the condition of your scalp.

Preeeeeeeeeeeach.....it.....

*waves wrinkled church fan with Martin Luther King and JFK on it*

*tosses spare change for morning newspapers from coat pocket into hair collection plate...*

My hair has done a complete turn around since switching from no-lye to lye. I always relax on a Friday so on Mon, Tue, Wed, and Thur. night I base my scalp with a thin layer of coconut oil or greese. However, I think I'm going to base my scalp on relaxer day too. Does anyone else base on relaxer day? I could use my fingers instead of a comb so that I don't irratate my scalp.

While reading the award winning hair care book: "Beautiful black hair" real solutions to real problems.
by Shamboosie
I came across a passage which was titled "why the real lye is a better buy".
It said the following.
"Contrary to popular belief, a conditionning lye relaxer is the best relaxer for you hair and scalp. It will leave the hair silkier and softer by conditioning as it relaxes the hair. The conditioning lye relaxer allows the hair to recieve moisture from conditioners it needs to retain it's softness and to remain pliable. There is no calcium buildup and no extreme dryness, which you always get with a no-lye relaxer. The conditioning lye relaxer leaves the cuticle layer of the hair healthier with every application (and that's no lie).

This means that when your hair is shampooed, conditioned and styled, it will have more body, bounce, and shine. These are terms seldom associated with black hair today. The use of the conditioning lye relaxer, will assist in helping your hair grow longer, faster, as long as you keep it well conditioned.

The biggest problem with the no-lye relaxer is that the calcium buildup locks the hair, sealing the cuticle, and will not allow the hair to recieve moisture from shampoos and conditioners it needs to remain soft to the touch, pliable and capapble of holding it's curl and it's style."

For all of you ladies who use the no lye-relaxer, It's fine as long as you know how to take care of it. I guess this passage was seldom associated with black women WHO DO NOT KNOW how to care for their hair. We're all pro's in that field so just continue your routine.

Thats all great and mostly true but lye relaxers don't work for everyone me included. I've had far better results with no-lye relaxers without the burn. . no matter how fast someone puts it on I manage to burn.

If you still use no-lye relaxers but dont want the dryness or the burn of lye relaxers simply use a chelating shampoo to get the calcium hydroxide builde up out of your hair and follow ith a good moisturizer.

There are no-lye professional perms.....

Do you still have that info?

The bolded is interesting. I learn something new everyday!

Redken said the same thing about color :yep:. The reason why its not adviseable to drink anything with caffine or acidic drinks is because they make your scalp more sensitive. And when your scalp is made more sensitive your scalp might not handle color, relaxer, or any other chemical service well.

You are correct! Mizani, affirm, and vitale are 3 professional brand relaxers used in salons (that I personally know of) that have a lye and no-lye forumula (also referred to as sensitive scalp).

I've been licensed to do hair for 15 years ....In Los Angeles shops we use no-lye over lye....At least the ones I worked in...

I relaxed my hair Sunday with a lye relaxer and my scalp was on fire...it burned and I have some major chemical burns. I was using a no-lye relaxer but I switched because I read that lye is better and I am sure it probably is. But for me I am sticking with no-lye...I rather do extra work to keep it moist than to go thru the pain I went thru this weekend!

I don't cry easily...but lye made me cry like a big ole baby...:perplexed

I guess I'm another one of those creatures who can't use lye. Lye will eat big gaping sores in my scalp which I do not need.

Some no lye's can be like that as well. Phyto may get a bad rap for some but its all I will ever use.

Anything that allows me to relax and not burn, not have flat hair, give me lots of shine and body, I plan on sticking with, and lye has never given me the type of results I get now.

-A

I agree. My hair responds really well to conditioning lye relaxers. When I had no-lye, my hair was dry and tangled easily, and always looked dull. I was concerned about my scalp, but since I have switched back to Affirm, my scalp is fine (no scabs, no burns, which is a first for me). Plus, I base pretty well prior to relaxing, so that helps tremendously.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff...I only use lye relaxers; my previous beautician went from lye to no-lye, and my hair was a dry, hot mess! But then, again, I didn't know how to treat it, and it was pre-LHCF.

However, my hair is thriving since I have been with my current stylist, and she only uses lye, and I haven't been burned yet.

I have a sensitive scalp too but in no way am i going back to no-lye relaxers. I got burned worse with no-lye relaxers than all the lye relaxers i've used. Thank goodness I know better now. I love Shamboosie's book. I refer to it often when i need help.

I've used both and lye works better for ME. No lye burned my scalp A LOT and my hair was much drier and prone to more breakage. It was a constant battle to combat the dryness. Lye leaves my hair with more moisture, body, and shine. And now they have the conditioning lye relaxers like the one I use, Motions Oil Moisturizer relaxer, and it's even better for me.

My hair was healthy until 3 years ago. Around June 2005, my hair started changing. First I noticed a lot of shedding, then breakage in nape area, and thinning of my hair overall!!!!:perplexed My stylist(for nearly ten years) told me it was due to postpartum breakage and stress of being a new mom. Hmmmmmmm!!!! She was using Affirm before and during my pregnancy. I became a PJ buying everthing from Affirm, started taking vitamins, and increased my water intake. My hair continued to suffer. :wallbash:

One day while waiting at the salon, I noticed she was not using Affirm relaxer; she switched to Hawaiian Silky.....what the heck!!! I asked her was there any difference in the relaxers and she assured me my problems was "stress" related....yeah right! Well I decided to take matters into my own hands and switched stylists in August 2006.

My new stylist used Affirm relaxers and decided because of my sensitive scalp to utilize the sensitive scalp(no-lye) formula on me. My hair looked better but the thinning all over continued.:wallbash: Fast forward to November 2007 when I found Macherieamour and LHCF....hooray!!!!:grin:

I immediately started doing research on relaxers and realized maybe my hair issue was related to lye vs. no lye relaxers. I realized my past stylist for ten years always used lye relaxers until she switched in 2005. I researched here and decided to try either ORS lye relaxer or Mizani for Fine/Color treated lye relaxer.

My stylist recommended the Mizani and what a difference!!!! My scalp did not burn, my hair was not limp, and the shine of my hair was insane. I have never seen these results with my hair since June 2005. I am convinced that lye relaxers are better for my hair. Thanks to Santia, Gymfreak, MedMunky, HT family, and so many others on helping me revamp my regimen and start my journey back to healthy, shiny, bouncy hair!!!:grin:

Sorry so long!!![/quote]

lol I took my time and read each word mamita. I'm happy for you!!

My hair has done a complete turn around since switching from no-lye to lye. I always relax on a Friday so on Mon, Tue, Wed, and Thur. night I base my scalp with a thin layer of coconut oil or greese. However, I think I'm going to base my scalp on relaxer day too. Does anyone else base on relaxer day? I could use my fingers instead of a comb so that I don't irratate my scalp.

I base my scalp on relaxer day too but I think I will try your method... greasing it the nights before.

Back