Why the lye relaxer is a better buy...

Which do you use?

• Lye relaxer

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • No-lye relaxer

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have a sensitive scalp too but in no way am i going back to no-lye relaxers. I got burned worse with no-lye relaxers than all the lye relaxers i've used. Thank goodness I know better now. I love Shamboosie's book. I refer to it often when i need help.

I love this book too Caribbeandiva. In fact, when I read an article Sistaslick wrote on Lye vs. No-Lye relaxers and the different effects of each, Shamboosie's book re-enforced my reasons for switching from no-lye to lye.

I am prepared to base my scalp well before applying a lye relaxer, but I'm not prepared to have my hair thinned out, loaded with calcium build-up, get straw-like because it cannot retain any moisture in it, or my hair strands badly stripped away by no-lye relaxers. The cons of a no-lye relaxer were more than the cons of a lye relaxer and that is how I made my choice.

My hair is a lot thicker and silkier now with lye relaxers than when I was relaxing with no-lye. I and my hair are sooooo happy now.

Last edited:
^^^ Basing the days before a relaxer works great for me. I relaxed last night with Elasta QP lye in Super and left it on for 20min. I didn't burn at all and my hair is nice. I like the Super cause if I use Mild it only tex-laxes me, but with the Super I go straight but not bone straight.

I really do believe that the key to effectively using a lye relaxer without your scalp catching fire is in properly basing it. I aslo base my hair using my fingers to part my hair with vaseline petroleum jelly about 3 days before leading up to the relaxer day and now I never get burns anymore. I drink water only from 2 days before and that's great for me in any case.

I really do believe that the key to effectively using a lye relaxer without your scalp catching fire is in properly basing it. I aslo base my hair using my fingers to part my hair with vaseline petroleum jelly about 3 days before leading up to the relaxer day and now I never get burns anymore. I drink water only from 2 days before and that's great for me in any case.[/quote]
wow... Does that really help? I've been trying to drink more water and I tell you.. It hasn't been working too well. lol I only drink water when I'm thirsty and when I'm eating... Other than that, fat chance.

I switched to lye relaxers also. I like the fact that it dosen't dry out my hair like a no-lye relaxer used to. My hair is also no longer paper thin and fragile.

Maybe i'm crazy...but I also like the fact that if you leave it on too long or apply it incorrectly, a lye relaxer will burn. This way, there's no chance of overprocessing for me. This also makes me base my scalp days before relaxing so I rarely get scalp burns and my scalp stays healthy.

Lye relaxers are also cheaper in the long run. One container for me usually equals two applications. I only purchase 2 containers a year which is about 8 bucks (I always catch Silk Elements on sale @ Sally's).

Last edited:
I switched to lye relaxers also. I like the fact that it dosen't dry out my hair like a no-lye relaxer used to. My hair is also no longer paper thin and fragile.

Maybe i'm crazy...but I also like the fact that if you leave it on too long or apply it incorrectly, a lye relaxer will burn. This way, there's no chance of overprocessing for me. This also makes me base my scalp days before relaxing so I rarely get scalp burns and my scalp stays healthy.

Lye relaxers are also cheaper in the long run. One container for me usually equals two applications. I only purchase 2 containers a year which is about 8 bucks (I always catch Silk Elements on sale @ Sally's).

Exactly what I do girly. I buy a tub of silk elements and it lasts me months.

Hi All-

I've been lurking here for years. I just wanted to say that I've used both no-lye and lye relaxers. Affirm is pretty good, however, the Mizani lye relaxer has worked well for me. I burn easily with either, but I just received a touch-up a few days ago and decided to try basing my scalp with aloe vera gel that morning since I had been scratching so much. For some reason I always do no matter how hard I try not too and I pay for it, but this time I didn't start burning until I was taken to the shampoo bowl; so I will definitely continue to do this prior to touch-up time. I do find that my hair is more moisturized, is straighter, and in better condition with the lye, but everyone's hair is different. I had to stop using the no-lye relaxers a long time ago.

I purchase my mizani relaxers by the 4lb tub as well and yes I agree that it last a whole lot longer.

I really do believe that the key to effectively using a lye relaxer without your scalp catching fire is in properly basing it. I aslo base my hair using my fingers to part my hair with vaseline petroleum jelly about 3 days before leading up to the relaxer day and now I never get burns anymore. I drink water only from 2 days before and that's great for me in any case.[/quote]
wow... Does that really help? I've been trying to drink more water and I tell you.. It hasn't been working too well. lol I only drink water when I'm thirsty and when I'm eating... Other than that, fat chance.

Use this to your advantage. Do you take vitamins? Take your vitamins separately from a meal and drink a 16.9 oz bottle of water with your vitamins. Then drink a 16.9 oz bottle of water with all three of your meals. If you do this, you'll have your recommended 8 glasses of water a day done.

Use this to your advantage. Do you take vitamins? Take your vitamins separately from a meal and drink a 16.9 oz bottle of water with your vitamins. Then drink a 16.9 oz bottle of water with all three of your meals. If you do this, you'll have your recommended 8 glasses of water a day done.

Yes... I take "double X" vitamins. I've been slackin off though:grin:. I will definitly take your advice. thnks mamita.

Back