why the DOMINICANS ALWAYS say..

BSweet

when i get my blowout (because IM TRYING TO STRETCH :mad:) that i need a RELXAER or else my hair is going to FALL OUT :angry2:. I think they just don't want to deal with the naps:whip:. I just want to stretch.... plus there is a small area in my nape that i'm trying to grow out. :swearing:

This happen to any one else? or what ya think about this?

I thought it was just me. They are constantly pressuring me to get a touch up, but if I'm not ready then I'm not ready. :mad: It's sooooo frustrating that I have to take a break from them for a while. I think I'm gonna wear my hair curly until I get a touch up

Me too... but I just say "I know, I know" and just keep on stretchin'! I'm growing out my nape area too and it's doing well, so I'll stick with MY plan, not theirs.

Oh I don't pay them any attention. They always trying to get me to trim or relax. I just say 'next time' 'next time'..EVERYTIME..lol they shut up after that

Last edited:
....before i even openeed the thread, i knew what it was going to say. I stop going there because of this. They don't like to do my hair, and they do a blow out anyway, and I don't like for them to ***** at me. I prefer the press, my hair has been 10x healthier with the wash and press.

Unless you have really soft, wavy hair, they are going to complain. They might even complain if your hair is naturally wavy. They like hair as straight as possible.

When I used to go to the Dominican salon, there was a sign posted that said that touchups should be done every four to five weeks. :eek: I had about 8 weeks of new growth. The woman behind the counter asked me why did I wait so long. I stopped going because 4 to 5 weeks for my hair is crazy.

BSweet said:
when i get my blowout (because IM TRYING TO STRETCH :mad:) that i need a RELXAER or else my hair is going to FALL OUT :angry2:. I think they just don't want to deal with the naps:whip:. I just want to stretch.... plus there is a small area in my nape that i'm trying to grow out. :swearing:

Because they want your money more often. Why else? :ohwell:

I usually only go to my regular salon for chemical treatments, but I ventured into a local Dominican Salon for a wash and set a mere two weeks after I had been touched up, only to have the stylist insist that I needed a touch-up! I couldn't believe my ears - and she was dead serious too. Plus the blow-out was way too brutal (as far as heat application) for my liking. I guess my hair wasn't bone straight enough. Needless to say, that was my first and last visit.

wow that really interesting cause they rarely tell me that!

except when i do need one ...and my hair is very tangled.They suggest it cause if i do heavy stretching my tangled hair will start to break off.I usually stretch no more then 12-13 weeks.

...and that is the reason why I don't go to get my wash & set once my new growth gets serious :lachen:...since my new growth is sprouting, I CW and lightly blow dry/flat iron my own hair for now. In two weeks, I'll get my hair braided until it's time for my touch up. The Dominicans will see me in May...

sylver2 said:
Oh I don't pay them any attention. They always trying to get me to trim or relax. I just go next time..EVERYTIME..lol they shut up after that

im back..the wireless stopped working...but im LMAO :lachen: ..im a just go back too...cause im home for spring break and i want it to look nice b 4 i go back to school..

caligirl said:
Unless you have really soft, wavy hair, they are going to complain. They might even complain if your hair is naturally wavy. They like hair as straight as possible.

but some of their hairs are like super curly? and they take as long as it takes to blow dry that ish..so why they mad at us..its only rough at the roots

My hair is thick and natural and get my hair blown out every two weeks and I've never been told I needed a touch up.....But, that's jus me:ohwell:

caligirl said:

This is sooo true... they like hair to be bone straight, I hate that ! They are very quick to tell you, you need a relaxer. If your hair is slightly wavy or soft I realize that they aren't so adamant about pushing a relaxer .

I thought it was just me!

One day, there was this sista with beautiful, long natural hair who came into the salon I was in and wanted a blowout. She was told she needed a relaxer. But she was like, "I don't want a relaxer, I want a blowout." The stylists told her they couldn't work with her hair.

My daughter has beautiful, natural hair and I took her with me one time to get my hair done (I know, I know. I didn't have a sitter). My stylist was like, "Poor baby, She needs a perm."

I was like, um, no you didn't! I just told her I'd get her one when I'm ready.

caligirl said:

I know!! I never got this! And I have been going to Dominican salons for like 7 years and they always want to relax you...

brownbarbie said:
I thought it was just me!

One day, there was this sista with beautiful, long natural hair who came into the salon I was in and wanted a blowout. She was told she needed a relaxer. But she was like, "I don't want a relaxer, I want a blowout." The stylists told her they couldn't work with her hair.

My daughter has beautiful, natural hair and I took her with me one time to get my hair done (I know, I know. I didn't have a sitter). My stylist was like, "Poor baby, She needs a perm."

:perplexed The nerve!!! They sure do LOVE their chemicals to an unhealthy degree.

I don't want this to be totally one sided, in my experiences more Dom. Salons have been willing to work with my NG and black salons have pushed the perm on me at 4 wks. I think it really depends on the Dom. Salon you go to, I am a 4a/b and the most they've asked me is "You natural mami?" (of course naturals get charged a bit more). And when I do go in for a TU sometimes they are like why you wait so long, but never meanly. Also my MIL and SIL go and their stylists told them to STOP getting relaxers, that they didn't "need" it (they are about a 3c, very soft hair). So, I would say if any stylist is pushing something on you and you don't like it, find a new stylist. :)

brownbarbie said:

on NO they didn't they got some nerve !!!:eek:

blac_quarian said:
I usually only go to my regular salon for chemical treatments, but I ventured into a local Dominican Salon for a wash and set a mere two weeks after I had been touched up, only to have the stylist insist that I needed a touch-up! I couldn't believe my ears - and she was dead serious too. Plus the blow-out was way too brutal (as far as heat application) for my liking. I guess my hair wasn't bone straight enough. Needless to say, that was my first and last visit.

I generally try to avoid getting my hair blown out, if the roller set is done well there really isn't much of a need. Once when I did decided to have it blown out she burn me so bad that I had scabs. :(While she did it I told her it ws too hot and flinched consistently and she had the nerve to look at me like I was crazy. :mad: I jumped ship immediately

I went once and vowed to never go again. She complained the entire time about how I should have had a relaxer months ago, blah blah blah.

SHUT UP and do hair! :mad:

qtgirl said:
I don't want this to be totally one sided, in my experiences more Dom. Salons have been willing to work with my NG and black salons have pushed the perm on me at 4 wks. I think it really depends on the Dom. Salon you go to, I am a 4a/b and the most they've asked me is "You natural mami?" (of course naturals get charged a bit more). And when I do go in for a TU sometimes they are like why you wait so long, but never meanly. Also my MIL and SIL go and their stylists told them to STOP getting relaxers, that they didn't "need" it (they are about a 3c, very soft hair). So, I would say if any stylist is pushing something on you and you don't like it, find a new stylist. :)

I couldn't agree with you more--I have that same problem at black salons as well. The way I see it, MANY stylists just don't want to deal with relaxed hair that is not bone straight because they just don't have the patience. Fact of the matter is, my hair is fine, so bone straight = damaged, thin hair. So it's too bad if it's not the easiest type of hair. I've had Dominican and Black stylists that want to relax my textured hair, but these are generally ppl I don't know well. The two stylists I frequent most (one Dominican, one Black) encourage stretching and really don't give me a problem. I must admit, these stylists are hard to find on either side!

BSweet said:

This happens to me all the time...and either I'll just ignore them (pretend I didn't hear them) or i'll say..."I know...next time":lol:...that's the only way i'll get them to shut up.

Lady_Lioness said:
This happens to me all the time...and either I'll just ignore them (pretend I didn't hear them) or i'll say..."I know...next time":lol:...that's the only way i'll get them to shut up.

Thank U..lol..EXACTLY. no big deal..just say okay next time and thats that..lol. Then the next time u go say "okay next time" again and thats that..lol. I've been doing this for 15 years

I'm wondering if it depends upon the stylist and the "confidence" of the person. Or maybe it's the appearance of straight hair. Saturday, a lady came in and said that she wanted a blowout. She was told that she needed a relaxer even after she said that she wanted to stretch. Why didn't she need the relaxer then, "her hair would break." I wanted to tell the lady that that wasn't true and just kept my mouth shut. Meanwhile, I'm sitting up under the dryer with my thirteen weeks post, very coarse hair. Now granted, when it came time for my roots to be blown out, it did take a bit of time, but no one told me that I needed a relaxer. I think that it's because I came in with my hair straight. :ohwell: I don't know.

Divine Inspiration said:
I went once and vowed to never go again. She complained the entire time about how I should have had a relaxer months ago, blah blah blah.

SHUT UP and do hair! :mad:

:lol: :lol: Okay!!!

sylver2 said:
Thank U..lol..EXACTLY. no big deal..just say okay next time and thats that..lol. Then the next time u go say "okay next time" again and thats that..lol. I've been doing this for 15 years
Lol...That is exactly the same thing I say to them everytime I go "No, not this time...next time" over and over and over...they eventually get my drift.:lol:

sylver2 said:

LMAO...your killin me..i will def say that next time :lachen: :rofl:

Back