Why is my steamer suddenly burning me?

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
After using my steamer for well over a year it's suddenly burning my scalp. So i can't sit under it for more than 10 mins. Then i use my heat cap.

Now my scalp is extra dry & itchy. It's been itchy the last few weeks tho. I thought it was the sulfur making scalp sore and didnt use it the last two times and the steamer still burned me. Don't know if steamer is irritating scalp or if scalp is already irritated and that's why it's burning.

I miss my steamer. Anyone else have this problem? I got the one from salonsrus i think. Forgot name but it was the one for $89.

There's an ivory tab that you can turn on the black piece above the pillar. Turn it until there is less steam coming from the unit.

No problem. My SO played with it and I thought I was dying when the steam hit me. lol I hope turning that knob will help.

Hi Coffee. No, i started using that at first but stopped. You think that can cause a problem?

Tap water will cause a problem over time; it will leave mineral deposits, especially if you have hard water. I only use distilled water in my steamer.

I've been using filtered water in my steamer. Sorry for the dumb question but will that do the same thing as tap water? Should I start buying distilled water?

I've been using filtered water in my steamer. Sorry for the dumb question but will that do the same thing as tap water? Should I start buying distilled water?

Filtered and tap water are not equals. Distilled water is steam distilled which removes the minerals and impurities. Filtered water generally has minerals and other impurities which will eventually build up on the heating element and cause scaling.

Distilled water is your best choice. If you watch the sales, its just as cheap as filtered water. Walgreens regularly runs specials for around 0.79 cents. I have rarely paid more than $1 per gallon.

There's an ivory tab that you can turn on the black piece above the pillar. Turn it until there is less steam coming from the unit.

NappyNelle Thank you soooooo much for letting me know about the piece to turn. Mine is clear/gray and it's a knob on the helmet and it turns out the vents were completely closed. I recently moved it around and must have closed it somehow. So no wonder I was burning my scalp. I'm under it now and no more burns. Thank you!!!!!

:grin:

I have the same steamer as well and have had it for close to 2 yrs. I end up getting a huge scab from water flying out and hitting my back...ouch!! For some reason it suddenly stopped doing it recently. Thx for sharing the distiller water tip bc I definitely have noticed the hard marks.

Mine from Salons 'R Us started burning me, too. The steam became crazy hot and the hot water would drip on my skin as well. I used tap water and that was not a good idea.

I loved steaming, but I after I broke a piece on my steamer, I...gasp...threw it out. It was taking up too much space in my apartment, anyway. I don't call it a waste because I got tons of treatments out of it. The Dominican salon I sometimes go to has steamers, too.

Filtered and tap water are not equals. Distilled water is steam distilled which removes the minerals and impurities. Filtered water generally has minerals and other impurities which will eventually build up on the heating element and cause scaling.

Distilled water is your best choice. If you watch the sales, its just as cheap as filtered water. Walgreens regularly runs specials for around 0.79 cents. I have rarely paid more than $1 per gallon.

Thank you! I will definitely start buying the distilled water to use. Do you think my steamer would already have build-up or is it okay since it's only been used 3 times so far?

I noticed this as well, which is why I use a shower cap to trap in drippies and still get a good deep condition. It builds up steam in the cap and I am satisfied with it and no more burning.

I have the same salon r us steamer.

Sent from my LG-LW690 using LG-LW690

I have the same problem w/my salon r us steamer. I haven't used it while though. It was fine when I when I first bought it, but after a few months the steam started to burn and I had to use a plastic cap while under it. I didn't use tap water, even though the instructions stated the tap water was okay.

I've always used filtered water because that's what I have handy, and yes I do have to run vinegar and water through the steamer to get it back steaming properly. I use about a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water, let it sit for a few minutes and drain into a container from the side where the black knob slides off. Then I rinse with clean water. I also never steam without a towel around my neck and shoulders for safety.

I thought the OP was saying the steam is burning her scalp, as if it is overly sensitive to the heat?

LaBelleLL

The Huetiful steamer burns my scalp often. I wonder if I put my head too far inside. I also have a large head; in fact, I don't fit most hats/caps.

Every time I use the Huetiful steamer, a pool of hot steam will drip onto my scalp and burn it.

Back