If you have been pondering getting a steamer...

i have the one from salonsrus. I have used it 3 times since I got it a month ago but I am in braids so i will keep on using it every other week and see how my hair is when i take out the braids.

I am thinking about buying one from here: hairgift.com. They have free shipping. Maybe it will help with the dryness I experience. Maybe I will treat myself for Mothers Day. Along with new flat iron and blowdryer I bought already. :grin:

I have the table top steamer that is seen on this website and I wish I had seen the one on Salons R Us first. I paid $100 for the table top one and would definitely purchase the stand one in the future. If you have room for the stand alone steamer, I would suggest that one as it is actually cheaper than the price listed on hairgift.com

Update: I used my Steamer for the first time this afternoon for an hour w/Alter Ego Garlic Treatment the one from SalonsRUS e-bay for $129 'free shipping'. I am sitting here now under my plastic cap. It felt really good, and my hair feels really moisturized. I'll know more once when I rinse, dry, and style.

But I did want to remind alot of the ladies when they purchased theirs, that I heard it's a good idea to use Distilled Water especially if you live in an area with Hard Water. I used distilled as a precaution.

Question for those who have a steamer, do you use a plastic cap under the steamer, that would seem to block the moisture. It also seems not wearing a cap would be messy. What's the verdict....cap or no cap?

Update: I used my Steamer for the first time this afternoon for an hour w/Alter Ego Garlic Treatment the one from SalonsRUS e-bay for $129 'free shipping'. I am sitting here now under my plastic cap. It felt really good, and my hair feels really moisturized. I'll know more once when I rinse, dry, and style.

But I did want to remind alot of the ladies when they purchased theirs, that I heard it's a good idea to use Distilled Water especially if you live in an area with Hard Water. I used distilled as a precaution.
I couldn't find that seller but I found SalonOutfitters.. are they the same folks?

Loca, I am tellin' ya'! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!! Your hair is exactly like mine (pm me and I will show you some pics). The steamer, Phyto II, henna and Joico changed my hair around.

hmmmmm....
I'm only missing the steamer...

and I must admit after having my session in the sauna this past weekend...there is some type of difference...

*brain movement occurring...*

hmmmmm....
I'm only missing the steamer...

and I must admit after having my session in the sauna this past weekend...there is some type of difference...

*brain movement occurring...*
I'm having the same movement..... I'm all that minus the Phyto II because I'm natural...but I know my fine hair loves JOICO and henna so the steam would be the next logical step...

You made my heart skip a beat. I thought you stated "just don't" like don't buy one (clutching my pearls...). But then I read on. This was the single best investment for my hair by far!

I am so happy that you love it!

Me too - I thought you were saying if you are thinking about buying a Steamer then don't bother lol!!:lachen:

Question for those who have a steamer, do you use a plastic cap under the steamer, that would seem to block the moisture. It also seems not wearing a cap would be messy. What's the verdict....cap or no cap?

I think this depends on how often you want to steam your hair. There are lots of women who use a steamer that don't wear a cap, but I personally do. When I steamed my hair without my cap I ended up over-conditioning my hair. However, I do steam twice a week so maybe this might have been the culprit. Once I switched back to using my cap my hair has been absolutely fine and still getting all the benefits of the steam.

So to clarify, I think it's fine to go without a cap if you're going to steam no more than once a week - any more than that, may be problematic. However, you need to keep any eye on your hair to make sure everything is as should be. :)

In order to stop the hot water and product dripping on your face, you can use cotton wool strips around the head to catch the water. This is what my stylist did when I went to the hairdresser for my treatments.

I have this steamer and love it. I steam without a cap. On my wash days I just hop in and out the shower and put on a robe so the small amt of drops that I do get from the steamer don't bother me. I also keep a towel handy for my face.

I steam often twice per week but I use a lot of protein so I don't get the "mushies." I'll do a 30 min with protein, rinse then do another 30 min with a moisturizer. The other wash day I'll co-wash then just use a moisturizer.

For some reason for me using distilled water emits less steam. Well it kind of makes sense when you think of it, distilled water is just post-steamed water isn't it? I'm no science geek though, and it could just be me, lol

I just cut off 3 inches of my hair due to fried ends. I'm thinking a steamer might be just the thing that I need. Quick question. Please break down your routine like you're talking to a 2 year old. :rolleyes:

1. Do you con wash, then put a deep con on, and go under the steamer?
2. How long? 30 min? 1 hr?
3. After the steamer do you put a product on to define curls? Or just another con and then rinse out and then your regular products?
4. Does the steamer already define curls so no curling defining product needed?
5. Does it take longer for your hair to dry after steaming? My hair takes hours, sometimes an entire 24 hours, to air dry when pulled back into a bun.

Thanks in advance!

I have this steamer and love it. I steam without a cap. On my wash days I just hop in and out the shower and put on a robe so the small amt of drops that I do get from the steamer don't bother me. I also keep a towel handy for my face.

I steam often twice per week but I use a lot of protein so I don't get the "mushies." I'll do a 30 min with protein, rinse then do another 30 min with a moisturizer. The other wash day I'll co-wash then just use a moisturizer.

For some reason for me using distilled water emits less steam. Well it kind of makes sense when you think of it, distilled water is just post-steamed water isn't it? I'm no science geek though, and it could just be me, lol
Perhaps some of the other steamer users can chime in but does the steamer require a pinch of salt to create more steam? I think I read that in one of these threads once....:scratchch

ShiShi....I am sold. I couldn't take it any longer after reading this thread. Last night I couldn't sleep and my fingers magically got on the computer and ordered the exact same steamer you have. I hope I love it as much as you all do. I'll worry about paying for it later. :)

I think this depends on how often you want to steam your hair. There are lots of women who use a steamer that don't wear a cap, but I personally do. When I steamed my hair without my cap I ended up over-conditioning my hair. However, I do steam twice a week so maybe this might have been the culprit. Once I switched back to using my cap my hair has been absolutely fine and still getting all the benefits of the steam.

So to clarify, I think it's fine to go without a cap if you're going to steam no more than once a week - any more than that, may be problematic. However, you need to keep any eye on your hair to make sure everything is as should be. :)

In order to stop the hot water and product dripping on your face, you can use cotton wool strips around the head to catch the water. This is what my stylist did when I went to the hairdresser for my treatments.
I don't think I have ever ever over conditioned my hair. I don't even know what that would look like :scratchch

Perhaps some of the other steamer users can chime in but does the steamer require a pinch of salt to create more steam? I think I read that in one of these threads once....:scratchch
I do not add salt to my water. In fact, I only use distilled water. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in ...

ShiShi....I am sold. I couldn't take it any longer after reading this thread. Last night I couldn't sleep and my fingers magically got on the computer and ordered the exact same steamer you have. I hope I love it as much as you all do. I'll worry about paying for it later. :)
The ONLYest reason why I haven't purchased that darn steamer today....is that I just purchased a notebook computer and a smart phone.

I need to wait a month or so...my pocket book can cool down. I don't want to over stimulate the economy...:lol:

The steamer is next on my list though..the very next thing!!! The phone and the computer were both over due.

I'll wrap a hot towel around my head in the mean time and dream about my steamer :sleep2: :lol:

The ONLYest reason why I haven't purchased that darn steamer today....is that I just purchased a notebook computer and a smart phone.

I need to wait a month or so...my pocket book can cool down. I don't want to over stimulate the economy...:lol:

The steamer is next on my list though..the very next thing!!! The phone and the computer were both over due.

I'll wrap a hot towel around my head in the mean time and dream about my steamer :sleep2: :lol:

I ordered one AJJ - If it's too bulky and takes up precious space in my home, I'll sell it to ya on a payment plan.

I think I will invest in one of these in the next few weeks. Once I get deep into my stretches, my hair is very dry. That will complete my in home hair salon.

No Salt here. Just the distilled water. I think they salt reacts to do something to the water that distilled water does. I remember people putting a pinch of salt in their clothes irons (back in the day) when they used it on "steam". I wish someone that knew more about science of distilled vs non-distilled water knew. But I do remember people doing that w/their irons.

No Salt. Just the distilled. Haven't had problems with distilled water having a lessening effect on the steam

How many times do you ladies steam a week? And do you steam while using a protein conditioner as well?

How many times do you ladies steam a week? And do you steam while using a protein conditioner as well?

I steam 2-3 times per week. Here is my exact regime:

Mon - Vatika w/moisturizing conditioner, steam, wash with Joico K-Pak shampoo, Joico cuticle sealer, Joico K-pak reconstructor, Joico split end mender, NTM, Hairveda oil

Wed - Vatika w/moisturizing conditioner, steam, wash with Joico Moisture Recovery shampoo, Joico Moisture Recovery conditioner, Joico cuticle sealer, Joico split end mender, NTM, Hairveda oil (I may skip this treatment, we'll see ...)

Fri - Vatika w/henndigo mix, steam, wash with Joico Moisture Recovery shampoo, Joico Moisture Recovery conditioner, Joico cuticle sealer, Joico split end mender, NTM, Hairveda oil (Can you tell that I LOVE Joico???)

I have been doing this for about a week now and it will be my regime/staple.

HTH

I steam twice a week; one day just using a moisture conditioner and the second time using protein followed up by a moisture condish. I use the steam throughout.

Back