Why is mineral Oil the BIG N-O?

PaulaDiddy

I am having a huge trouble in searching about mineral oil. Could someone explain to me why it so bad? and why there products that are made with mineral oil that is no benefits to the hair?

TIA.

2. MINERAL OIL & PETROLATUM: The best baby oil is made from almonds. But the oil which being sold as baby oil is 100% mineral oil. Mineral oil is a derivative of crude oil (petroleum) that is used industrially as a cutting fluid and lubricating oil. This commonly used petroleum ingredient coats the skin and hair just like plastic wrap. The skin's natural barrier is disrupted as this plastic coating inhibits its ability to breathe and absorb the Natural Moisture Factor (moisture and nutrition). The skin's ability to release toxins and wastes is impossible through this "plastic wrap," which can promote acne and other disorders. It further hinders normal skin respiration/transpiration by keeping oxygen out. This process slows down skin function and normal cell development causing the skin to prematurely age. Holding in large a mounts of moisture in the skin can "flood" the biology and may result in immature, unhealthy, sensitive skin that dries out easily. Petrolatum - A petroleum-based grease that is used industrially as a grease component. Petrolatum exhibits many of the same potentially harmful properties as mineral oil.
Honestly, this stuff belongs in your engine, not on your hair. Regardless of "Well, my Grandma used vaseline on her hair and it grew ", the bottom line is this stuff is bad. It was bad for Grandma and it is bad for you. Period.

Source: Nappturality, 10 INGREDIENTS TO AVOID PUTTING ON YOUR HAIR!. http://www.nappturality.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=22

If it's at the top of the ingredients list on a product...dump that stuff.

Last edited:
Mineral oil is fine for me.

I have never had a problem using products with mineral oil.

I am not a heavy user of it, but I do own some really great products that contain mineral oil.

I think when people try to use it to moisturize they get in trouble. But, I am confident that mineral oil is fine.

I know others will disagree, but based on other threads like this one, I am not alone in the "mineral oil is not all that bad" club.

Mineral oil is fine for me.

I have never had a problem using products with mineral oil.

I am not a heavy user of it, but I do own some really great products that contain mineral oil.

I think when people try to use it to moisturize they get in trouble. But, I am confident that mineral oil is fine.

I know others will disagree, but based on other threads like this one, I am not alone in the "mineral oil is not all that bad" club.

ITA. Alot of my really good products have mineral oil in them, some even have it listed as the 3rd or 4th ingredient. Some of Keracare products have them, and they still work very well in my hair.

ITA with Honey Dew! Nexxus Humectin Conditioner contains mineral oil & it's a great conditioner, right up there with Kenra MC. IMO

Please don't stop using a product thats working for you just because it contains mineral oil :nono:

I dont have a problem with products that have mineral in them either.
I think that we have learned alot about what not to do to our hair and not to use only mineral products and the product that include mineral may not have enough in it to cause the pore blocking effects. I remember seeing people grease their scalps with vaseline thinking that it was a problem, on the other hand some people never put "anything" in their hair and that wasnt good either. I think as long as I am not plastering my hair with vaseline or other petroleum products that I will be okay. I cowas 2x a week and do a full wash 1x per week.

I actually went to the dermatologist because of severe dry scalp and they told me to use mineral oil as a moistuizer for my scalp three times a week.:ohwell:

Thanks OrangeMoon for the effects of mineral oil. That was quite interesting! Plus that was a great link in general. I do understand the other points that a little mineral oil is okay.

Now that I am curious of which of my products have mineral oil, I am on a hunt. Isty, I agree...If the product work don't stop.

How much mineral oil do you think is acceptable?

I say use it if it works. For my hair, I've got to be careful that items I use have very little if any mineral oil because its too detremental to my hair.

-A

My hair loves mineral oil... I never knew it was a Big-NO. I think last year on the board everyone was on the "natural product" bandwagon and blackballed mineral oil, but it works great for me and always has. I have been following Jennifer MD since 2004 and she grew her hair out and it is fabulous and she uses only dominican products. A lot of dominican conditioners have mineral oil as the base ingredient. So it's can't be that bad for the hair.. I think you just have to know how to use it properly!

It's all about what works for YOUR hair. I think Honeydew mentioned, you cannot moisturize the hair with this oil, but it does lubricate.

I lightly apply Blue magic hair grease to the length (not scalp) of my hair and it is always soft. JMHO.

I personally choose to stay away from it. Before LHCF I stayed using products w/ mineral oil & petroletum everyday. it didn't do a thing for my hair. now that i don't use it, my hair has never been healthier. (although that's due to taking proper care of my hair, not just staying away from those ingredients).

I don't mind if a conditioner has those ingredients cuz i'm washing it out. I know my CPR and Nexxus contains them. And i'll still use them cuz they're pretty good. But in NO WAY will i use a product with them as a daily moisturizer. even if it's the last ingred. on the list. I'm very strict when it comes to what i leave on my hair daily.

Plus, those ingredients have caused my skin a great deal of acne.(my skin is extremely sensitive 2 begin with) whenever i had my hair out, by the end of the week I've broken out all over the side of my face. Now that I've taken those ingreds. outta my regime, i haven't had a breakout like that since.

Back