Why is it....

GIJane

That you can put all types of chemicals and heat to a "human hair" weaves/wigs? But you can't do it to your own hair w/o sustaining some type of damage. If the hair is suppose to be "human hair" wouldn't it break as well. Are they putting some type of protectant on the hair? If so, how come they can't make a product and sell it. Or is the hair not really human? Hmmm...

The hair being sold is Asian hair, specifically Indian and some east Asians. They as a group have some of the strongest, most resilient hair known to man (along with some Hispanics and Native American). Hence the reason why they can grow long hair so easily and the reason companies use their hair. Our hair is nothing like theirs. It tends to be fragile and fine, leading to easy, easy breakage, hence the reason we tend to wear theirs to acquire long hair.

Also you don't really keep a wig that long. I've yet to hear of anyone on this board wearing the same wig day in, day out, dye it, heat style it, sleep in it... for several years.

Most human hair extensions are not all from the same head of hair. They take different people's hair and put it together. The cuticles aren't all laying the same way. Then they treat it with a protective coating to get it to look plastic shiny :grin:

Also, we have different expectations of our own hair. Extensions are supposed to stay the same length. But if our hair is at the same length for a while, we'd see it as damaged. And we don't generally keep our extensions that long, unless it's super good quality strong extensions. Most people throw them away after 3-4 uses. If we could regrow our same length every 6 months the damage to our own hair wouldn't matter either.

My human hair ones at first when I first started with HH use to get a little frugged up if I keep putting heat on it. Which is why I did stop doing it so much. It gets frayed looking and a little tatty and no matter how much extra heat I put on it it still looks a mess I Have to use hair spray.

Harina hit the nail on the head. It can sustain so much abuse because they use Asian hair to create the wigs. Asian hair has the most cuticle layers and thus is the strongest most resilient hair on the planet with few exceptions. Which is why they exclusively harvest this hair for wigs (no matter what exotic name they give the hair, it came from east or south asia).

They can dye their hair blonde, go back to black, dye it again, back comb, sleep on cotton pillows, use hot curling irons or flat irons every day, use harsh sulfate shampoos and drying gels and hairsprays, never DC and still retain all their length with no effort. We've all seen it lol.

Conversely, our hair has less cuticle layers and tends to be much more fragile and extremely prone to breakage, we really have to take special care of our hair to retain length.

That being said our hair is extremely versatile in other ways, such as styling, it really holds the shape of textured styles much more readily then any other hair type and our coil pattern is very distinct and striking.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Most human hair extensions are not all from the same head of hair. They take different people's hair and put it together. The cuticles aren't all laying the same way.

The exception to this being Remy hair, which is usually from an Indian female, 1 female, with the cuticle in 1 direction.

I see the word Remy being thrown around on all sorts of hair but I believe the true meaning speaks to the quality of the hair being from 1 source and cuticle in 1 direction.

Back