Why is APL so hard to achieve??? *rant*

br0wney3z

I feel like I've been SL FOREVER and a day and going nowhere fast! Just when I thought I was about 2 inches shy of at least touching APL, I go in for a wash and flat iron last week and freaking A, she trims me back to a full SL, this is just 5 weeks AFTER she trimmed my hair when I got my relaxer:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: Now granted, my hair may have needed a trim, and it does look better...but I never wear my hair down so darnit it shouldn't matter. She was just so quick with the scissors. I mean one minute we are sitting there chatting about boys and stuff and then bam like an inch of my hair is falling and internally I'm screaming in slow motion NOOOOOOOO!

And another thing, why can't I do any cute styles? It's so frustrating to know that I am constantly in banana clips with my ends tucked under and my hair and ends are going nowhere it feels like. I've tried rollersets and when I can actually get the hair to do what it's suppose to, it NEVER lasts an entire day. The curls fall either from the weather, or after coming back from the gym. Braidouts always end up looking like a frizzy mess that just sits on my head like a mop....arghhhh. So I end up not wanting to spend thousands of hours styling just to see it all fall before the day is even over.

I'm just really through with my hair right now. It's so fickle. Breaks at the slightest hint of being styled. It's breaking all over the place right now no matter how much I've tried to pamper it and give it protein and moisture. It just laughs at me:lachen: and keeps on doing what it does. I just needed to rant and rave and now I will return to oblivion.

Last edited:
No trimming!!!!!!!! u will never see the progress u want:nono:....u will get thier with patience and endurance...and protective styling:look:...u can do it:yep:

Aw man, I'm sorry to hear about your stylist setting you back. That sucks. Their supposed to ask before they do that. Next time make sure you tell her from jump she is NOT cutting your hair. :yep:

But to answer your question about reaching APL. Dont feel bad it seem everyone has a hard time reaching it. Just keep consistent with a healthy regimen of protective styles, low/no heat, and balancing moisture and protein. You should get there soon...just tell the scissor nazi to stay away!!!! :lachen:

No trimming!!!!!!!! u will never see the progress u want:nono:....u will get thier with patience and endurance...and protective styling:look:...u can do it:yep:

I know you are right. I had said I would only be trimming at most twice a year which is what I had done, and this time I was just tired and frustrated that my hair was breaking that when she started trimming although I was mad I thought it would help, but that doesn't seem to have helped. Neither has the 'protein' treatment she did.

I know you are right. I had said I would only be trimming at most twice a year which is what I had done, and this time I was just tired and frustrated that my hair was breaking that when she started trimming although I was mad I thought it would help, but that doesn't seem to have helped. Neither has the 'protein' treatment she did.

You may need a good moisturizing conditioner...u could be using 2 much protein on your hair:yep:

She cut off your APL. Tell your hairdresser to not trim til July. IF you find damaged ends. Don't trim til you reach your goal length. You may want to stretch your touchups to 8 weeks or more. Do some research on this forum about stretching to help. Good luck you will get their by next summer.

Last edited:
NO TRIMMING!

I only trim when i get a relaxer...like every 3-4 months! Otherwise i'm not touching it and neither is anyone else.

And there is no small talk at the salon until u make urself clear about your style. Sit in the chair, tell her what u want/need and talk to her again when she picks up the scissors.

I can't believe i was getting my hair trimmed every 6-8 weeks with a relaxer..cutting off whatever progress i had.

If u dont say something, you'll never make ur goal.

She cut off your APL. Tell your hairdresser to not trim til July. IF you find damaged ends. Don't trim til you reach your goal length. You may want to stretch your touchups to 8 weeks or more. Do some research on this forum about stretching to help. Good luck you will get their by next summer.

Well that's what's even more frustrating. I stretch my relaxers for at least 12 weeks, but lately it's been between 14-16 weeks. And it's not that I'm seeing breakage during that time, but it's not growing as much as you would think. I was doing great up till my Sept touch-up when things started going wrong and I hadn't done much to change my regimen:perplexed

What is your regimen at home, in between your salon visits? how often do you wash? what poo and conditioners do you use? do you DC? what about protein? how often do you moisturize and what do you use? How often do you use heat?

Also how does your stylist care for your hair? do you get a LYE or NO-LYE relaxer.

You really need to communicate to your stylist to STOP chopping off your progress.

Personally I would have a problem with any stylist who takes the scissors to my hair without consulting me first.

Last edited:
What is your regimen at home like, in between your salon visits? how often do you wash? what poo and conditioners do you use? do you DC? what about protein? how often do you moisturize and what do you use? How often do you use heat?

Also how does your stylist care for your hair? do you get a LYE or NO-LYE relaxer.

Last but no least communicate to your stylist to STOP chopping off your progress.

Personally I would have a problem with any stylist who takes the scissors to my hair without consulting me first.

oh no no...i wasn't there for a relaxer, I had a relaxer done 5 weeks ago. I was going out of town so I went this time to have her wash it and flat iron it, something I don't usually do at all. I was once a week and sometimes throw a co-wash in there. I moisturize twice a week with my love sunsilk 24/7 creme. On wash day I generally pre-poo with aphogee 2 minute with a hot towel and shower cap for at least 30 mins up to a few hours. Wash with Keracare moisturizing, deep condish with either keracare humecto or aveda dry remedy. I air dry or sometimes dry with a dryer on cool setting till it's damp. I've been using heat at least once a month now b/c i've been going out of town.

She uses Mizani Butterblend on my hair, and sometimes she is really really good, detangling, oiling before relaxing, washing it out well and using heat protectants before flat ironing. And usually she asks before trimming and I didn't think she would need to trim again since she did it so recently. My mistake...it won't happen again:ohwell:

I was here for 18 months and i still didn't see apl.

I was PS'ing, stretching, not trimming and i just didn't see it APL before i bc'd. i washed weekly, used minimum heat ( indirect mostly). I just didn't see the growth others did.

It sucked because there were ladies who started at NL and went to BSL while i still struggled at SL...

i don't have any advice

I was PS'ing, stretching, not trimming and i just didn't see it APL before i bc'd. i washed weekly, used minimum heat ( indirect mostly). I just didn't see the growth others did.

It sucked because there were ladies who started at NL and went to BSL while i still struggled at SL...

i don't have any advice

that's funny. I guess some ppl just have those growing hands or something and the rest of us have to work EXTRA hard. Thanks for being so honest

i don't have any advice

Wow! Do you believe in terminal length? Do you think you reached it or do you think if you hadn't BC'd and tried another reggie, things would be different?

Cause I saw MONIGIRL's 1 yr growth pics from a BC to shoulder length and cursed her under my breath. She had some good growth for that year and it took me a year just to get to SL with NO BC.

NO TRIMMING!

I only trim when i get a relaxer...like every 3-4 months! Otherwise i'm not touching it and neither is anyone else.

And there is no small talk at the salon until u make urself clear about your style. Sit in the chair, tell her what u want/need and talk to her again when she picks up the scissors.

I can't believe i was getting my hair trimmed every 6-8 weeks with a relaxer..cutting off whatever progress i had.

If u dont say something, you'll never make ur goal.
chile you aint said nothing but a word lol. i use to get dusted every 2 weeks.:lachen:.

Wow! Do you believe in terminal length? Do you think you reached it or do you think if you hadn't BC'd and tried another reggie, things would be different?

Cause I saw MONIGIRL's 1 yr growth pics from a BC to shoulder length and cursed her under my breath. She had some good growth for that year and it took me a year just to get to SL with NO BC.

See that's the ish that makes me so jealous. But um MizzBrown your year growth isn't anything to look see as 'slow' progress. If i had had that type of growth from last April to now, I would surely be at APL already:yep: You and I are basically the same length right now and you started AFTER me and with short hair. Just NOT fair I tell you. But I am happy for all you long hair growing ladies....sort of....

Last edited:

I don't' know.. What happens is i usually get anxious around that length. I have chopped it all off several times when i get to that length. I get really frustrated because i just don't get it. I think going natural will help me, because i really wont be looking for downward length. I just want a big fro...

oh no no...i wasn't there for a relaxer, I had a relaxer done 5 weeks ago. I was going out of town so I went this time to have her wash it and flat iron it, something I don't usually do at all. I was once a week and sometimes throw a co-wash in there. I moisturize twice a week with my love sunsilk 24/7 creme. On wash day I generally pre-poo with aphogee 2 minute with a hot towel and shower cap for at least 30 mins up to a few hours. Wash with Keracare moisturizing, deep condish with either keracare humecto or aveda dry remedy. I air dry or sometimes dry with a dryer on cool setting till it's damp. I've been using heat at least once a month now b/c i've been going out of town.

She uses Mizani Butterblend on my hair, and sometimes she is really really good, detangling, oiling before relaxing, washing it out well and using heat protectants before flat ironing. And usually she asks before trimming and I didn't think she would need to trim again since she did it so recently. My mistake...it won't happen again:ohwell:
i know every ones hair is not the same but this right here could be your problem. i say this because when i started moisturizing day and night my hair retained way more legnth and now im 1 inch from bsl. when i came here i was past sl but not apl. i've only been on this site for like 9 months so thats good in my book. i just started not dusting but every 2-3 months just recently so the moisturizing is really all i did to get growth. oh and 90% of the time im NOT in protective styles.

Could you be overdoing it with the protein? Are you really using aphogee 2 min reconstructor as a prepoo EVERY wash day? Maybe you should alternate with a moisturizing conditioner as a prepoo. And make sure you tell that stylist BEFORE you show up for your appointment that you don't want any trimming! Don't worry, you'll get to APL as soon as you figure out what changes you need to make in your regimen. Good luck!

Last edited:
Great thread, cause exact same thing happened to me as OP. I am about to get on my moisture BIG TIME.

i don't have any advice

omg... your scaring me!!!

Well judging from your pictures it seem like you've done it in less than a year.

Girl I wont claim APL until its fully there with more body too Im just not happy, Im thankful and grateful for getting this far but not happy with this hair of mine

so....i'm confused. did she have your permission or not? and why would trimming = no more breakage?

keep bunning/clipping, and get you some sabino mb + giovanni direct so your rollersets don't fall.

i don't have any advice

It's possible you were in the resting phase when the hair stops growing for a little while.

I quit my stylist in April and started doing my own hair 100%.
My stylist was doing the same thing.

I self relaxed for the 1st time in July and my growth was really good. I did not trim and did not need to. I attempted a search and destroy and guess what. No split ends! Just to think that my stylist was triming my hair every 8 - 10 weeks. Now I am going 15 to 20 weeks before trimming. I can SEE my hair growing. Literally.
I just wish I would have done this a year ago. However, our journey is a long journey and that is why we are here. Helping each other.

Good luck on your hair and I know you can do it!

i don't have any advice

prettypuff I thought you made it to APL, you posted some pics and you were pretty close if you werent there already.

OP, I dont think youre that far away from your goal.

Do you think youre checking for growth too much? I got the best growth when I stopped worrying about how my hair would grow. A watched pot doesnt boil.

Hows your diet? Do you drink enough water? Get enough sleep?

Try moisturizing at least once a day. That has really helped me. :yep:

Back