Why I/You do not want to go to a hair stylist!

1. I don't like "stylists" because 95% of the time I come out not happy with the results.

2. " " " " " the way they treat my hair.

3. " " " " " they cost too much money.

4. " " " " " they take too long to finish.

Last edited:
I choose not to go because it's never how I said that I wanted it. and $$$$. I figured I have been doing my hair all this time for so many years might as well keep it up.

Every so often I will treat myself, but only to those I trust.

I don't go to stylists because:

1) I'm picky
2) I'm impatient
3) I like things done my way.
4) I know exactly what I want, and how I want it done.

:lol: Those things combined make me hell (and I'll admit it) on a lot of service people - but I'm very nice, very polite, very considerate, and I tip excellently to make up for being so - demanding. :lachen:

That's the main reason I don't go to stylists - it's easier, on my head, on my pocketbook, on my schedule, and on my nerves to do my hair, myself.

And at this point - I doubt that I will ever go to one, because I'm not willing to let my hair be the 'test subject' to determine if I like a certain stylist. Nuh-uh. The only way to find a stylist is to try a stylist and urm - :look: - no. Especially since the main thing I would most likely want to go to a stylist for would be heat straigtening my hair? Oh, hecky nawh. :nono:

I love the independence of doing my hair myself and not being at anyone's mercy. What's more, after years of doing my hair myself, I went to a stylist that a lot of people seem to adore and admire and believe in, in the hope of getting more styling ideas, and she not only cut off more than 5 inches of my hair (Something I most certainly didn't not want, since having long hair is a dream of mine) but she also created the ugliest style I had ever worn on my head. (Friends who know me even asked if she had combed my hair, or if it was supposed to be a joke--coz it looked like we'd both lost our damn minds.)

Nah, I do not want to go to a stylist because no one cares about my hair as much as I do to bother taking the time to understand it so s/he can treat it right the way I can and do. And the more I become acquainted with my hair, them more creative I seem to get so that I am at a loss on what exactly a stylist would do for me that I cannot do for myself. Even if it may take me a while to master some skills that stylists already have, I have no doubt in my mind that when I do become adroit at those skills I will do a better job on my hair, with more TLC, than anyone else ever could. :yep:

Completely agree with this. At this point there is really nothing a stylist can do for me that I can't do for myself. I have all of the products and tools right here at home. I can do my hair myself, for free, at my own pace, with my own products and I know that it will be treated properly.

The only downside to doing my own hair is that it's time consuming. But that's ok.

Last edited:
I wonder how stylists are holding up these days with so many women taking hair care into their own hands and the economy being bad right now?

I think of my former stylist often and wonder how her business has been.

I recently left my styliest of about 4 years.
She changed shops, changed prices, changed days off.
Her attituded changed ---- just toooo much for me.

I have been doing my hair since May -- and my 11 yr old.
I have found a girl to do the retouches, afraid to let her time me.....
I found LHCF about two weeks ago so I am at the start of my journey.

My past stylist trimmed me to often-- could not get it past shounder lenght
Now I am on my way to shoulder then APL

If I want to keep my hair healthy, I have to take accountability for it. Whatever money comes out of my pocket for my hair, good bad or ugly; I have to assume responsibility for. When I was going to salons, I was so lazy. It was growing out of my head and I was expecting someone else to take care of it...I can't do that anymore. That's like not meusing the gym, getting fat, and blaming the trainer I work out with.

I don't go to stylists anymore. I have found a few that were o.k. but not fabulous. Also, I have too many issues with thinning that I am working out to be bothered with the time and expense for my hair to only look so-so cuz there ain't that much of it to begin with. It is also difficult to find hair stylists of any race who are not completely ignorant of Black hair in its natural state and that's really the only way I wear mine. They just don't train them for it because everyone assumes that a Black woman will straighten her hair. When I add the stank attitudes, gossip, overly frequent trimming, rough handling, and complete inability to follow simple instructions (taper DOES NOT mean cut off all the hair on the back of my head!), it simply isn't a good investment. I realize that NOT every stylist suffers from these disorders, but I have had too many setbacks and disasters that I had to either live with until they grew out or cut off and start over to take that risk. I'm just getting too old to be going in circles and "experimenting."

THE ONLY TIME I HAVE GONE TO A BEAUTICIAN AND HAD GREAT SUCCESS WAS WHEN MY MOTHER WOULD TAKE ME TO AN OLDER LADY WHO PRESSED MY HAIR. WHEN WE STOPPED GOING TO HER WE WENT TO ANOTHER OLDER LADY TO PRESS MY HAIR ALSO. MY HAIR WOULD GROW AND I RETAINED MUCH LENGTH.

WHEN I BEGAN GOING TO GET PERMS AT OTHER SALONS MY HAIR WOULD BREAK OFF. MY SCALP WOULD BE SEVERELY BURNED AND THEY ALWAYS WANTED TO DO A FOOT LONG TRIM. BECAUSE OF THIS MY HAIR NEVER GREW. I HATE GOING TO THE SALON AND THE STYLIST WOULD ACT AS THOUGH I HAVE THE WORST HAIR JUST BECAUSE IT IS NOT 2C OR 3C. EVERYBODY THAT IS SITTING WAITING IS WATCHING HOW HARD IT IS TO COMB YOUR NAPPS AND THEY LAUGH AT YOU. (((( YOU GOT THAT ROUGH STUFF SO YOU GOTTA KEEP IT ON LONGER)))) AND THEY USE SUPER, MEANWHILE YOU HEAD IS ON FIRE. AFTER SITTING AND BURNING YOU GO HOME AND THEN INSTANTLY YOU HAIR BEGINS TO BREAK BADLY.

I JUST FIGURED I CAN TAKE MY OWN HAIR OUT FOR FREE. WHEN I DID MY OWN PERMS I WAS SUCCESSFUL.

I hated how I didnt have control over my own hair. Seriously I went in one time and told her I wanted t rollerset. SHe said that I would "Would look better" with a straight wrap and she didn't feel like wrapping my hair. Instead of speaking up since I was only in the 10th grade, I let her do a ugly flat wrap because she didn't feel like using rollers and I still paid the $40 for her to do it. Jealously also made me stop. She was always cutting my hair just because of jealously to me

And why don't stylist have a credit card machine. When I get my hair done, that is the only time I pull money out the ATM. I went to a shop last week, that had an credit card machine. But, u were charged two dollars just to use it. Wow

i just relaxed my hair today and just being in the comfort of my home and controlling how long I neutralize my hair can't compare to the hustle and bustle of the salon. where everything is rushed.. no way.

my stylist tried to win me back and invited me for a free wash and curl. oh boy! he gave me some granny curls and put some much product in my hair there was absolutley no movement. My neice was with me and she was like "Aunty G you can do your hair better than that!" lol..

Good question because I know of 3 stylist at my job who are no longer in the store. They still keep their license active. I asked on lady why she did not do it full time and she said that it is difficult because people don't come on a regular basis, and 2 merchants are now asking for mmore money for the booth. At times I can emphathize with that but there are a lot of people who have jobs with contracting conditions and they do fine. I am thinking that if a stylist is doing like 10 heads a week between 40 and 75 dollars; that is still between 450 and 750 per week. I know a stylist that I used to visit when my stylist was not available did as many 30 to 50 a week but you have to get your clientle and keep them happy. You can;t just be jackin up somebody's hair and think that they are going to keep coming back to you. Some stylists are just in it for the money and think that it is "easy" money and they don't have to do anything for it. Some of them do not treat it as ther JOB and thats exactly what it is.

a week for about 75f
I wonder how stylists are holding up these days with so many women taking hair care into their own hands and the economy being bad right now?

I think of my former stylist often and wonder how her business has been.

And why don't stylist have a credit card machine. When I get my hair done, that is the only time I pull money out the ATM. I went to a shop last week, that had an credit card machine. But, u were charged two dollars just to use it. Wow

Interesting...every stylist I have been to in the last 5 years has had a CC machine. You do have to pay the fee yourself sometimes, though. It's just to keep overhead down...makes sense, really. I just lower my tip.

Good question because I know of 3 stylist at my job who are no longer in the store. They still keep their license active. I asked on lady why she did not do it full time and she said that it is difficult because people don't come on a regular basis, and 2 merchants are now asking for mmore money for the booth. At times I can emphathize with that but there are a lot of people who have jobs with contracting conditions and they do fine. I am thinking that if a stylist is doing like 10 heads a week between 40 and 75 dollars; that is still between 450 and 750 per week. I know a stylist that I used to visit when my stylist was not available did as many 30 to 50 a week but you have to get your clientle and keep them happy. You can;t just be jackin up somebody's hair and think that they are going to keep coming back to you. Some stylists are just in it for the money and think that it is "easy" money and they don't have to do anything for it. Some of them do not treat it as ther JOB and thats exactly what it is.

a week for about 75f[/quote

All the Dom salons here in DC are still packed! lol

THE ONLY TIME I HAVE GONE TO A BEAUTICIAN AND HAD GREAT SUCCESS WAS WHEN MY MOTHER WOULD TAKE ME TO AN OLDER LADY WHO PRESSED MY HAIR. WHEN WE STOPPED GOING TO HER WE WENT TO ANOTHER OLDER LADY TO PRESS MY HAIR ALSO. MY HAIR WOULD GROW AND I RETAINED MUCH LENGTH.

WHEN I BEGAN GOING TO GET PERMS AT OTHER SALONS MY HAIR WOULD BREAK OFF. MY SCALP WOULD BE SEVERELY BURNED AND THEY ALWAYS WANTED TO DO A FOOT LONG TRIM. BECAUSE OF THIS MY HAIR NEVER GREW. I HATE GOING TO THE SALON AND THE STYLIST WOULD ACT AS THOUGH I HAVE THE WORST HAIR JUST BECAUSE IT IS NOT 2C OR 3C. EVERYBODY THAT IS SITTING WAITING IS WATCHING HOW HARD IT IS TO COMB YOUR NAPPS AND THEY LAUGH AT YOU. (((( YOU GOT THAT ROUGH STUFF SO YOU GOTTA KEEP IT ON LONGER)))) AND THEY USE SUPER, MEANWHILE YOU HEAD IS ON FIRE. AFTER SITTING AND BURNING YOU GO HOME AND THEN INSTANTLY YOU HAIR BEGINS TO BREAK BADLY.

I JUST FIGURED I CAN TAKE MY OWN HAIR OUT FOR FREE. WHEN I DID MY OWN PERMS I WAS SUCCESSFUL.

I hate to sound like some kind of stylist-advocate, but I really love getting my hair done at a shop. It's such a luxury and it makes me feel lady-like. I don't know what kind of salons you guys are going to!! :perplexed I had one "bad" experience last month when my "trim" became a "cut" (I tried a new place) but I am happy now because my ends are healthy.

Not to be funny, but if you keep having really bad experiences, you can try higher-end salons.....:rolleyes: In my experience, you often get what you pay for. However, my $30 blow-outs are serving me well on a law student budget!

I hate to sound like some kind of stylist-advocate, but I really love getting my hair done at a shop. It's such a luxury and it makes me feel lady-like. I don't know what kind of salons you guys are going to!! :perplexed I had one "bad" experience last month when my "trim" became a "cut" (I tried a new place) but I am happy now because my ends are healthy.

Not to be funny, but if you keep having really bad experiences, you can try higher-end salons.....:rolleyes: In my experience, you often get what you pay for. However, my $30 blow-outs are serving me well on a law student budget![/quote]

I think people are just generalizing previous overall experiences.

Being from California, my stylist there; by way of Ohio; was the best stylistI ever had. I went to her for years and if I coulda fit her in my suitcase I'd brought her back with me. I honestly have not found a stylist that I say does "hair care". Most stylist can was press, give a bang up style, but when that style is over, the condition that there hair is left in is what I think is the problem for some people.

Now if you want to talk about some body who can do some hair. When I was in the service and station in Japan. Them Japanese can do some AA hair. I went in the salon and the lady went off on me about conditioning my hair...she was like you need conditioner in yo har...she saying it when she was doing it...I was like :ohwell:; now I know what she was talking about.

OMG, where do I begin. I've had bad experiences almost my entire life with stylists. Trims always became cuts. What was supposed to be a relaxer ended being a texlaxer. One side of my head was burned off. Oh god, I could go on and on. There is SO much already stated that I co sign on.

There is another reason that REALLY keeps me away from a stylists and I hope I don't get in trouble for saying this but..... Besides, the money, the burns, WAY too many bags of hair used, yadda, yadda, yadda.....I feel that some stylists have jealousy issues. In order words, they know your hair is healthy. They know you DON'T need that cut but they chop and chop and chop. And that long hair that you've always wanted, well, you can forget about that. If she don't have long hair, neither will you. Bulls***. Thanks, but, no thanks. I'll do my own hair even if it takes a lifetime to learn how. At least my phuck up is my phuck and I didn't just pay you $75 (or whatever) to phuck it up more.

lol, I've gone to the the stylist about 1-2 times within my LIFETIME, so I guess I can't say much. I do now, however, that i've always prefered to do it myself, because i feel i sdo it best:)

Also, the guy that took my hair out the quickest was the most expensive. Just walking into a DC salon that cost 150 for a relaxer, you would think would protect you. And this was in the 80's. That hair came OFF, baby. All of it. I had to pay some other woman every two weeks to keep the little scraps of it on until my hair grew back in.

I hate being dependent on someone else. And $75 every two weeks is enough for anyone to get the hint. I was a jr. highschooler!!

After all the tears, panic and expense, you could not pay me to experiment again. Never again. I'll shave my head first.

My grandma always did my hair and I always was a wash and press girl.
1. I'm impatient. I don't have 4-6 hours to waste sitting a salon cause the stylist overbooked and underestimated the time spent per client.
2. I like my money for other things.
3. Relaxers are not for my hair.
4. I don't like be dependent on people like that.
5. There is no real incentive on the stylist part to maintain the health of my hair.

1. The entire length of my hair will not be at mercy to a fine tooth comb :wallbash:
2. My hair won't be washed like its being handled on a wash board and then handled roughly with a dry cotton towel.
3. To save money! :yep:

The bolded, Why do they always grab the small tooth combs, I never understood that, then want to say you need a relaxer. Well a couple of times, I stopped in the middle of the process and found them a wide tooth comb, then they will say oh this is alot easier to comb. No **it Sherlock. So when I found a Hairdresser that actually looked at my head, and stated oh, I need a bigger comb for your head, I just smiled. She was pretty good to. She specialize in healthy hair growth. She also cut my hair for me. Thats a big hair factor for me.

I agree with these 100%. They usually DO NOT use the whole relaxer system to save money....these products are expensive or the salon they work for does not keep the whole line. The new hairstylist I just found uses the products that comes with Affirm.

I hate when they apply the relaxer and walk away...my heart starts pounding in fear....

And I hate when they go out when you are under the dryer to get a chicken box and the dryer stops and you are sitting there like an idiot.

For the last 8 years I had a stylist I loved.
Jan. 2008 she changed Salons again.
And appears her priorites changed -- just no customer service always in a rush.
I have not seen her since May 2008.
I think our relationship stopped me from getting to APL and the $$$$$

Now I am afraid to relax and trim my own hair.
I have a relaxer planned for Thursday at a salon
Still have not made decision about a trim -- my last stylist trimmed tooooo often
Never reached APL --- and she did not want me at APL

I can care for my and my 11 yr old week to week -- just not sure if I should relax and trim and home yet.. Dont get me wrong my mother is a stylist, I can do it. My first job was in her salon, I know my way around --- just not sure yet.

My rule of thumb is; if I don't like the stylist's hair and/or attitude, I find someone else or do my hair at home for a while.

I agree with this sister. If you don't like your stylist, find another one. I was blessed to find one in Houston who is into healthy hair. She taught me the rules about no direct heat, DCing, the importance of combs, satin scarves, etc. long before I heard about LHCF.

The only thing we disagree on is trims. She cuts too much for my preference. My solution - I let her relax my hair, and I go for a wash/deep protein conditioner at least once between relaxers. When I need a trim - I haven't had one since May 30 - I go to a place that specializes in that like Supercuts or some other place. It's only $11, and for some reason, since all these ladies do is cut hair (not styles) for a living, they get it and understand that a trim is like a 1/8 inch of hair, not 1 to 3 inches.

I always wanted to find the right stylist for me. Everytime I would think I found him/her in time they showed their true colors. My hair has been so ruined by stylists that it forced me to learn to care for my hair myself. And I'm so glad I did, I love spending time on my hair, and saving the mony I would of shelled out so carelessly to them. Yay me!

Well, I go to two hairstylists. The first one is Mikiko and the second one is Laura. Mikiko is Japanese and Laura is Caucasian and they have been the best hairstylists that I have ever had in my life. I usually go to Mikiko for relaxers which only takes an hour and a half. She is very careful with my hair and she is never overbooked. If she has a client the same day as me, she makes sure to schedule us hours hours ahead or after one another so I have never met another client of hers. The only problem that I have is that the relaxers don't really take perse. And she tells me to come back three or four months after the relaxer, so there is no rush for me. Although my hair grows really fast, it doesn't start looking strange until a couple months in.

And I go to Laura when I just want a blow-dry. She charges $30 and she does an AMAZING job. Although she struggles with my hair from time to time, when she's done my hair looks naturally straight/wavyish (she leaves a bit waves in for a nautral look).

So, I go to both whenever. Even though I don't think I really have to. Ijust give in because I get so envious of those straight hair folk >:O

I haven't been to a stylist in DECADES...and don't miss it one bit. No one is going to take the time that I do with my hair, and I really don't expect them to do it. Now that I know how to care for it properly, I love doing my own hair.

UPDATE:

Since I have started doing 100% of my hair care. I noticed that my hair is cut at a slant:wallbash:

My left side \ and my right side |. WTH? Good thing I converted to wearing wigs...

Shirley

Wow everyone's story is similar to mine. To the lady who said go to a high-end salon - some people are on a budget and I don't know of any Dominican high end salons in the Greater Boston area. I can't justify paying $150 for somebody to do my hair. I would rather put that money towards a bill or to hair products (I'm a product junkie LOL)

Ok so I remember back in 1990 to 1993 I used to do my own relaxers at home, rollerset, DCing once a week and I used to trim my own hair. My hair was always thick and long. Then my aunt introduced me to a woman that would come to your house and do your hair for $10. Can't beat that!! 2 months later no lie I went from BSL to neck length. Only problem was I got so used to somebody else doing my hair and went from salon to salon to get the straight look. It never occured to me "do your own hair dummy. " So then after a bad relaxer job in 2006 after I stretched for 4 months I said to hell with this and went natural.

Ok so now my house is full of hair products and I again enjoy long, healthy hair that I do myself. I've gone to the salon 3x in 2008 and now they look at me like oh great. To the 4a-4b ladies, I have 3b-3c hair and the stylist sighs and acts like I stink LOL so don't think they prefer my hair type better cuz trust me they don't. its more work to do my hair... plus I go in there with my own brush and my own deep condish, and even tho I haven't trimmed in 12 months they see I have no split ends. I guess I'm not a big money maker in their eyes. Whatever! I just do my own hair.

Oh and by the way to the ladies that have gotten their hair trimmed unnecessarily...my hairdressers knew it was gonna be a fight. How annoying and awkward that would be for me. I had one lady yell out in Spanish "mira esta quiere tener el pelo largo" which means look at this girl, she wants to have long hair (but say it with sarcasm). She made me feel ashamed for wanting long hair. I'd rather avoid that mess all together. I love taking care of my hair, I receive way more compliments when I do it myself, and my hair is growing/retaining length like crazy. Waist length in 2009 or bust!

Last edited:
Back