Why I am finished with Domincan salons

msniq

First off I am not anti domincan salons but I will say that when it comes to chemicals they will not be doing my hair. I have not been satisfied with the care and quality of the products specifically the relaxers. I would rather pay the extra $$$ to see them open the product in front of me then have the mamis go behind the magic curtain to return stirring the container. In any case I will go to them when I just need a wash and set, can't beat that $14.00 duby. The domincan salons were the ones who got me into the protien conditioners (emergency, apphogee) which I did not need and they damaged my hair. Now I am happy witht he stylist that I have who speaks english well and there are not misunderstandings.

Is anyone else thinking like this or am I alone.

One more thing.....I AM TOO CUTE TO SIT IN THOSE SALONS! I FEEL OUT OF PLACE. MORESO WHEN THE BROTHER COMES IN SELLING BOOTLEG CDS AND DVDS AND KNOCKOFF BAGS.

Well everyone needs to do what is best for them personally. I always bring my own products when I go especially with if I would want a relaxer done. I am a lover of protein treatments so I can't agree with you there. I guess it depends on your hair and what it needs. I would say though that with the level of blowdrying they do it makes sense that they push protein conditioners. I think the brother with the bootlegs is a function of how ghetto the neighborhood is and not the salon. I've been in dominican salons where that has never happened and in black salons where it does.

[ QUOTE ]
msniq said:
First off I am not anti domincan salons but I will say that when it comes to chemicals they will not be doing my hair. I have not been satisfied with the care and quality of the products specifically the relaxers. I would rather pay the extra $$$ to see them open the product in front of me then have the mamis go behind the magic curtain to return stirring the container. In any case I will go to them when I just need a wash and set, can't beat that $14.00 duby. The domincan salons were the ones who got me into the protien conditioners (emergency, apphogee) which I did not need and they damaged my hair. Now I am happy witht he stylist that I have who speaks english well and there are not misunderstandings.

Is anyone else thinking like this or am I alone.

One more thing.....I AM TOO CUTE TO SIT IN THOSE SALONS! I FEEL OUT OF PLACE. MORESO WHEN THE BROTHER COMES IN SELLING BOOTLEG CDS AND DVDS AND KNOCKOFF BAGS.

[/ QUOTE ]

same reason I stopped going to them, when I was relaxed

I was fooled into believing that all Dom salons were created equal and had one in PA make me wish I were a prize fighter...I wanted to kick the stylist's butt for messing up my hair. She used a relaxer that was way too strong for my hair and her concept of blow drying was more like torching.

However, I think that this is proof that like anything else, a good stylist cannot be selected based upon nationalist. I go home to NYC for my touch ups at the Dom salon that I've gone to for about 15 years. The same stylist that did my hair burned my mother's hair and she has not been able to regrow it in certain spots.

I feel you that's why I don't go to ANY Salon. What you said about Domincan Salons can be said word for word in Black ones.

Come on now you know, the houseshoe wearing, gossip talking/cussing, one too many clients at a time, go in at 10:00am get out at 3:00pm, gettho blasting music, roach running across the floor, that you find in store front shops.
lachen70.gif

Don't get me wrong there are good ones in both cases but until I find one I'm comfortable with the kitchen is where I will be. Let's be honest the most we have ever learned about hair has been from each other on the Boards. :-)

[ QUOTE ]
Donda said:

go in at 10:00am get out at 3:00pm

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm jealous...i used to get there by 8 and pray to god to be out by 4:30- 5
look.gif
so i had time to get dressed and stuff to meet my friends and go out later---- you are so right...they are ALL scandalous
lachen70.gif
-- jainygirl

There arent very many in my area, but the one that I go to did a good job on my relaxer. I wouldnt trust them to cut my hair tho. They always seem to style people's hair in some early nineties way.

I might sound a bit naive here but what makes dominican salons different from any others? I'm not from the States so that is probably why i don't know.
huh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
missyT said:
I might sound a bit naive here but what makes dominican salons different from any others? I'm not from the States so that is probably why i don't know.
huh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dominican salons were the only ones that I knew of that did not fry our hair. Instead of using hot curlers, straightening combs, they would roller set the entire head of hair and sit the patron under a hard-hat dryer. Once the hair was dry they blow dry the hair or wrap it in a doobie.

This seemed to make a big difference for a lot of women with relaxers. They also used some really good deep conditioners.

[ QUOTE ]
blaxalrose said:
Webby? What did you do to your hair? I just cut mine short and I love it. Essence (the issue with the fine brothers) had some great tips for short hair. I cut mine short b/c I thought the transition would be easier. I should have a pic of it up on my job's website soon, I'll let you all know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went from super long hair and made the leap by cutting off 12 inches one evening, which left my hair about 3 inches past my shoulders. Then I slowly cut off the rest, as one bad relaxer ensured that I'd be spending way too much time trying to preserve what was left.

So, I got the Halle Berry cut (the cut she had in Swordfish) and kept getting it trimmed to get the layers out. I'm finally ok with my hair, but definitely want my length back. I'm not able to do my own roller set, but I make the trek to the city for a touchup and my cellophane.

webby - your hair is gorgeous from the pictures you have. I don't think I've seen anyone with that thickness. I hope you get the length back that you're looking for. I know what it feels like to lose length b/c of a bad relaxer.
ohwell.gif

Back