Why Does My Hair Shed Little to None When I Blow Dry?

It's like the difference between taking a pair of freshly washed jeans out of the washer and letting them tumble dry, versus hanging them up to dry.

Once the jeans are tumble dried, they are soft and you can fold them or put them right on. The heat makes the fibers very managable.

When you hang dry a pair of jeans, they dry like stiff boards that ultimately need heat and a little moisture fron an iron to get rid of the stiffness. Air dried fibers are stiff and less flexible.

Same thing with hair. I don't really know the science to it but that's how it is. Blow drying always works better for me.

This is true; however, fibers that are airdried are stronger and keep elasticity much longer over time. I know I've worn OUT some jeans in my time where they were just ripped to shreds after washing/drying/ironing repeatedly cuz I looked so cute in them! That is why many labels will say to hang dry certain clothes, especially spandix, nylon, and other stretchy fabrics, because while the dryer is quick and easy, its hell on most fibers over time. IMO, hair is more like fine silk to be handled with the gentlest care.

Just another way to think about it . . .

Right now I'm trying to learn to airdry, because I had the same problem - dry, shriveled, tangled hair. This time I used regular conditioner as a leave-in and it seemed to help with the moisture problem, but I still have some shrinkage.
I used to use my dryer - a ceramic Wigo w/ions and several speed and heat settings, but I'm trying to let it go and see if I can speed up my growth/length rentention. Once I get over the SL hump, I'll probably go back to my dryer.

Back