Why Do You Rollerset Your Hair?

Why Do You Rollerset Your Hair? (you can select more than one)

• To dry my hair (by airdrying or using a hair dryer)

Votes: 236 36.6%
  • To straighten or smooth my hair

Votes: 329 51.1%
  • To create a hairstyle with curls

Votes: 273 42.4%
  • Other (please share)

Votes: 36 5.6%
  • I do not rollerset my hair

Votes: 90 14.0%

• Total voters
To create styles with curls, straighten my roots, and to limit direct heat styling (blowdryers and curling irons)

To dry my hair (by airdrying or using a hair dryer)
To straighten or smooth my hair
To create a hairstyle with curls

--- I will rollerset when its' getting closer to relaxer time to smooth it out a bit. I rollerset just to have curls. And then I do it when I want a bouncy wrap.

I started rollersetting my hair today because I want a smooth, straight look, and I don't use a blowdryer very often. I bought the bigger sized magnetic rollers yesterday to achieve the style, along with the medium sized rollers for those areas of my hair that are most difficult to straighten. I'm not that good of mastering the technique, but with practice, it'll get better.

The reason for this is for my hair to be healthier and to be ready for my next relaxer touchup, which at the end of this month. One more point to add: You don't have to buy setting lotion to set your hair. Water, some leave-in, smoothing serum or some oil on your damp hair is all you need. Plus, roll your hair with a little tension, not pulling the hair while rolling. I'm going to do this from now on, but if my roots aren't straight, then I'll touch 'em up with my ceramic curling iron on the lowest temperature.

BC

1Specialk said:
I love the volume and body that rollerset gives me.

I agree. The body and volume that I receive from rollersets are incomparable. I will not be using irons anymore! I attempted to get the same look with an iron once a week. It was flatter. There is absolutely no comparison! The style last longer and it is better for my ends.

*Singing*
I have decided to roller set,
I have decided to roller set.
No turning back, no turning back! :D

Jewell said:
I no longer roller set my hair, but when I used to, I did it to smooth my hair without using a flatiron or curling iron...I would rollerset, oil my hair and scalp, and wrap it. My wraps would fall sleeker every day, and the rollerset left just a bump at the ends.

Jewell, what do you do with your hair now?

albane said:
With a few interruption whenI was completing my studies, I have been rollersetting since the age of 6, ie for 19 years. Most of the time, I dry under the hard hat and I dont mind using heat.

I rollerset for texture and fullness. Most of the time I will rollerset using the biggest meshrollers, with a straight look. From time to time, I will use smaller roollesr to create curls. My husband loves the style and the feeling he gets touching the hair so bouncy.
I resumed rollersetting after my studies at his request: this is clearly the only way for me to get a nice hair and that was exactly what my mother repated me during my youth.
The only trouble is that, with my long or very long hair, the rollerset is very cumbersome Despite all the training I had, it remains a weekly,sometimes twice a week, painful ordeal.
\\

Why are you rollersets painful? :confused:

I no longer rollerset my hair either, except when I go to salon and they do it..
I would love to rollerset but hair is to thick and takes to damn long and I mess up to much. Even some stylists can't rollerset my hair right. I just blow dry with comb attached dryer.
I would prefer to rollerset because that is much healthier and less damaging.

I rollerset b/c it may be the first thing that I can do on my own to my hair!!! It looks decent when I do it, so I will continue to do it (when I am not rodded, of course).

sylver2 said:
I no longer rollerset my hair either, except when I go to salon and they do it..
I would love to rollerset but hair is to thick and takes to damn long and I mess up to much. Even some stylists can't rollerset my hair right. I just blow dry with comb attached dryer.
I would prefer to rollerset because that is much healthier and less damaging.
I thought I was the only one who was still blow drying. I've been trying to make the rollerset work, but my hair is way too thick now that I am texturizing. I can't pull it taught enough. I'm going to keep trying though.

I recently started rollersetting to dry and smooth my hair. I honestly forgot how beautiful my hair looks after a rollerset, so instead of just wash N' go, rollersetting is now my new drying method...love it!

I started rollersetting in 2002 or 2003. Prior to that I tried braids, protective styles and none really worked for me. Now, I have gotten my hair "trained" to the point where rollersetting is a breeze...I can rollerset in 20-30 minutes; the dry time is a different story. I rollerset to achieve fullness, bounce and dry hair...air drying makes my hair brittle and my ends look frayed. I use mesh wire rollers now, it makes the time go by faster...magnetics are really good but they take alot more time to dry. My hair is now midback(crazy) and I don't wear ponytails, or straighten my hair too often. It is thick and I look "weird" with straight hair so I rollerset it once/twice a week.

Last edited:
I prefer drying my hair by rollersetting mainly because I find that if I try to dry my hair with any other types of methods (eg.blowdrying damp hair) it will take forever to finish!!

Rollersetting takes me no more than 20min to complete and I usually dry over night. It's also healthier for my hair to rollerset it whenever I plan to wear it straight.

tryn2growmyhair said:
@Albane and Isis: Albane do you use those really thick mesh rollers that can only be found in France? Some of the fancy salons on the East Coast used to use them -- they used to cost like $40 for 12 here -- but can be bought for fairly cheaply in the Passage de L'Industrie area in Paris. The reason I ask is that I have had the most success with plastic (magnetic) rollers where I literally smooth the hair on to the roller, as Isis mentioned. That's the only way I can get a smooth, non-crinkly set. The Parisian mesh rollers were a close second. The cheap mesh rollers that I have bought at American BSS stores do not work for me. The Parisian rollers have very thick wire and have an almost fabric mesh coating as opposed to the thin mesh coating of the American ones. I am sorry to go on and on about these rollers, I just feel that that is an important part of getting the set right.

Also, I have to use endpapers with the mesh rollers and, as a former hairdresser pointed out to me, if endpapers are used incorrectly they can do more harm than good.

I have found that I am not a good enough rollersetter to use mesh rollers. For a very smooth set on my fine hair, I have to use magnetic rollers.
Magnetic rollers do give smooth results, but I can't keep my hair taut enough with the clips and also my hair takes longer to dry. I've been using mesh rollers for so long now and the "Parisian" mesh rollers since moving to France. Last time I was in the US I needed a few more but couldn't find mesh rollers of any kind in all the BSSs I went to.

Oh yeah, I roller set (with end papers) to smooth my hair.

I rollerset and dry under the hooded dryer to dry my hair and create a style with curls. It's a lot healthier for my hair too. I alternate between that and blowdrying b/c I haven't mastered rollersetting my own hair yet.

Seems like a lot of ladies get good results from rollersetting. I think I will try this next time I wash. I normally airdry then blowdry it straight with the attachment, but I think this may not be too good for my hair over the long haul.

I rollerset with large magnetic rollers to straighten and smooth my hair. I just learned the lesson this week that some of the ladies were talking about not having to use setting lotions and such to set your hair. All I used was some hair serum and oil on my ends and it was my best results that I've gotten.

I can't rollerset myself, but I do get it set every now and then at the hairdresser b/c it's a method of drying and you can get a style at the same time. When my hair was natural, it would help to straighten it out and help with shrinkage..If I could rollerset myself, I could save myself some money...

I still have not mastered the art of rollersetting. I think my hair is too thick for the magnetic rollers, as it takes TOO long to dry. Maybe I'll try mesh ones. Does anyone use those plastic ones with the snap-on covers? I have a bunch of those... I wonder if they would work?

baglady215 said:
I still have not mastered the art of rollersetting. I think my hair is too thick for the magnetic rollers, as it takes TOO long to dry. Maybe I'll try mesh ones. Does anyone use those plastic ones with the snap-on covers? I have a bunch of those... I wonder if they would work?
My hair is thick so I use the large, green magnetic rollers. I can use the gray rollers - I just have to use a lot more of them. It takes overnight to airdry - up to 12 hours or 3 hours under a dryer using a cool setting. Those plastic ones you are talking about are too small, IMO, and they are not smooth. It's the smoothness of the magnetic rollers that smoothes and straightens the hair. I understand the mesh ones dry faster.

I usually roller set my hair when I get closer and closer to a touch up, it helps give my hair body. Pin curling doesn't work during this period, and I have had days where my hair looked a hot mess. Rarely do I roller set for a style (I will flat iron first to get my hair straight).

tryn2growmyhair said:
@Albane and Isis: Albane do you use those really thick mesh rollers that can only be found in France? Some of the fancy salons on the East Coast used to use them -- they used to cost like $40 for 12 here -- but can be bought for fairly cheaply in the Passage de L'Industrie area in Paris. The reason I ask is that I have had the most success with plastic (magnetic) rollers where I literally smooth the hair on to the roller, as Isis mentioned. That's the only way I can get a smooth, non-crinkly set. The Parisian mesh rollers were a close second. The cheap mesh rollers that I have bought at American BSS stores do not work for me. The Parisian rollers have very thick wire and have an almost fabric mesh coating as opposed to the thin mesh coating of the American ones. I am sorry to go on and on about these rollers, I just feel that that is an important part of getting the set right.

Also, I have to use endpapers with the mesh rollers and, as a former hairdresser pointed out to me, if endpapers are used incorrectly they can do more harm than good.

I have found that I am not a good enough rollersetter to use mesh rollers. For a very smooth set on my fine hair, I have to use magnetic rollers.
Is there a market in the US for French mesh rollers? I could stock up and sell them on eBay, but would anyone out there buy them?

BklynHeart said:
I've been rollersetting my hair for about 15 years, and it seems to make my perms last longer.
ccd said:
And other: my hair is much more healthier as a result of rollersetting....I like airdrying for the wash and go look or wet buns but I think too much of that can also take a toll on your hair....I like to alternate but I mostly do rollers

These are both also my reasons. I love the straighter, bouncy, big curl look that rollersetting gives, whether under the dryer or airdrying. I only started doing it with my first dominican salon visit in '97 getting doobies. It seems to make my perms last longer & my hair grow faster, but after getting it done consistantly for 2 months, my hair needs a break from the heat. I learned in 1999 about cutting down on heat by not getting my hair blown straight afterwards. I've been doing it ever since & have had no problems with the heat I encounter via the blowdryer. When I am in the mood to do my wash n' go, I can't wear them for too long either, so I like to alternate.

Roller setting is working fine.. I'm actually underthe dryer now. My hair is smooth shiny and beautiful. I think it is the safest way to apply heat to hair...

Back