Why do non-black hair products smell 100x better?

I hate stuff that is 'overly' pungent whether it is black or white.:look:

I know Claudie offers an 'unscented' versions of her products. And some of the other Handmade/Naturals might too (upon request).

I hate stuff that is 'overly' pungent whether it is black or white.:look:

I know Claudie offers an 'unscented' versions of her products. And some of the other Handmade/Naturals might too (upon request).
Me too. If anything I think that most products have too much perfume, especially the "white" ones. I just can't take it so I don't use them anymore. Most of those scents contain "phthalates" which aren't good for you anyway.

*Sniffs her Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Shea moisture Purification Masque, and Curl Junkie Rehab Conditioner (Gardenia Scent).

......Yeah I definitely can't agree. All this deliciousness smells DE, LIGHT AND FUL :lachen:.

I agree with OP to an extent. This was generally the case up until fairly recently IMO (10 years). Most grease smelled like Blue Magic (old school green or blue- YUCK), Sulfur 8, Pink Oil Lotion, etc.
These days there's a LOT more that's widely available.

I mean...just putting it out there...half of those stinky things are made by white companies and just packaged differently for the black folks.

Even with that being said...let's jam is geared towards us and smells hella good. I even have some cheap coconut hair grease that smells delicious.

And I've smelled some 'non-black' hair products that smell vile, this curly stuff in a blue bottle comes to mind.

So....

You called it.

EnExitStageLeft said:
*Sniffs her Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Shea moisture Purification Masque, and Curl Junkie Rehab Conditioner (Gardenia Scent).

......Yeah I definitely can't agree. All this deliciousness smells DE, LIGHT AND FUL :lachen:.

I'm sure OP was not talking about these brands, these are more natural-geared brands which is somewhat of a new movement. These days a lot of us are more informed and stepping outside the Motions box, but I know what products she's talking about - the ones full of mineral oil, the ones that grandma would use when she got her hair pressed, relaxed, or set.

I remember as a kid my best friend would use Herbal Essences after we went swimming and I envied her great smelling shampoo, but my mom would never let me use it. But she did use Suave Double Dutch Apple Detangling Spray on me which also smells yummy.

Ideally for me products would be UNSCENTED. I find, even if its a perfumey scent that's not unpleaseant the smell still annoys the heck out of me! And some products for Causaian hair smell bad too! lol! :yep: Now, I don't know if Ojon is marketed to blacks or whites? but I bought Ojon Mask, Hydrating shampoo and hydraing conditioner and I'm about to throw them away because I cant STAND how they smell. I tried to use them up because they were not cheap and I didn't want to waste the money but the smell just drive me craaaaazy all day! :nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts:

completely unscented stuff smells TERRIBLE!!!!!! oh gosh I had some conditioner that was unscented and lawd. But I know everyone can't take fragrance, and I definitely don't like anything too strong.

It depends on the product. I currently prefer black products that are less popular that i can get on ground. Things like herbal hessences,aussie and tresemme smell ok at first but then i get sick of the smell. I prefer the fresh/powdery/perfume scents.

You're probably talking about those heavy, greasy, petroleum, mineral oil products. I've never used that stuff = stiff, dirty hair...for me at least.

completely unscented stuff smells TERRIBLE!!!!!! oh gosh I had some conditioner that was unscented and lawd. But I know everyone can't take fragrance, and I definitely don't like anything too strong.

That is so true. "Unscented" doesn't mean no smell. I've rarely found a product that was truly neutral.

Back