Why do folks hate Asian BSS owners?

The unfair business practices of squeezing black folks out is just awful. :nono:

Luckily we have lots of small black owned companies starting up, like Hairveda for instance :love3: and we can regain a measure of control over those at least.

I buy lots of stuff from Shescentit. I love helping out grassroots companies. Not to mention, the products are amazing!:yep:

Good point MzAvalon. I dont' think I've even seen a black owned BSS ever. :look:

The BSS is usually an owner/operator setup. So the person you see behind the counter 7 days a week is gonna be the owner.

I stopped patronizing asian owned beauty supply stores. I don't like to be followed and I don't like how they are dominating beauty supply stores in black neighborhoods. And I have lots of Asian friends and associates (school and church stuff) so it's nothing against the people but there is something wrong with the whole idea of Asians dominating a whole sector relating to another culture.

It's like going to China town and 80% of black folks own the markets.

Yep we dropped the ball, but we have to take a stand at some point and take it back. This isn't about putting culture against culture, but just like my analogy above doesn't make any sense neither does this idea of Asians dominating the black hair care supply market.

I rather give my money to black owned businesses and if I can't find one of them than the dominant society (sallys, walgreens, and target).

Sometimes I get irritated when they're in our communities and won't even hire ONE black person.

That's a good point. The one that I frequent is Korean owned but the ladies who work there are North African/West African. Everyone there (including the Korean manager) has always been professional and courteous. I'm lucky I guess.
More than likely what is happening in your local Asian BSS is a reflection of whats happening in your community as a whole. I live just a smidge outside of D.C. --one big melting pot.

Money/prices can be an issue.

I'm not gonna around forever spending more money at one BSS just because its black owned.

If its cheaper at the Asian store and the black BSS does not pricematch and I AM looking for a deal then i'm buying at the Asian store provided i get good customer service and what not.

So I try my best to support but the bottom dollar price speaks volumes.

And I don't like this idea of giving them a pass for horrible customer service because some black folks are up in the stores acting a mess. If a statistic came out saying black folks stole more from Macy's than any other culture we wouldn't give them a pass if they started following us around, acting rude, and treating us like thieves because of our skin color.

We would be outraged! We would want to speak to someones manager or we wouldn't buy from Macy's anymore. We shouldn't have to develop a relationship with the people at Macy's in order to make sure they werent' following us around or to make sure they provided us with good customer service.

I've acted up in the beauty supply store. Picked up everything I was going to buy as the asian man followed me around. Got up to the counter and said this was everything I was going to buy. However, since you have decided to follow me around like a criminal I will find another place that will treat me with respect and has better customer service because I find your practices appauling. And I walked out. This was many moons ago since I don't mess with them anymore. But, I made it known.

I don't like going to Asian BSS stores because:

1. They are rude & nasty and have bad customer service
2. They always think you're going to steal something

OMG, I just saw in the Youtube documentary that someone tried to burn down the Korean BSS.... :nono: that's not the way to go about reclaiming this industry. :perplexed

One of the Korean BSS's I go to was vandalized... someone spray painted a racist cartoon on the building... a stereotypical depiction of an asian person. :nono: That's not right, no matter who owns a store they should not have to tolerate that kind of bullish...

Not to mention in Gary, IN some of the BSS stores have products that are older and/or almost expired. You can look at some of the same products and see that the color isn't quite right or it's in packaging that is outdated compared to the new company. Besides- I'm sick of all the other "hood" stuff they sell like fake Obama t-shirts, cell phone covers, and rhinestone watches and chains... :rolleyes:

I put my foot down about this last week when I was looking for some Toyokalon hair. Yes there are always some rude clients but I refuse to be treated like that again when I know that I am always careful about being polite and speaking to people myself.

Matter of fact- I've even stopped buying gas from foreign owned stations in the city too. I'm sick of how they look down on black people but will take your money in a hot minute.

OMG, WHY are the BOBSA member meeting at Denny's :whyme: :whyme: :whyme:

ETA: I'm finding this documentary so fascinating. I really didn't know all the backstory of how Koreans systematically squeezed out black owners... but I don't think they'd be too happy with white BSS owners either, yaknow. It's all about $$$$$$$$

Last edited:
Can anybody chime in with a list of black owned online BSS's? Even if there isn't one in your neighborhood, that doesn't mean you can't support black owned BSS owners!

This documentary is getting me radicalized! :lachen:I'm halfway ready to join the Black Panthers, watching this, lol!

Well I don't hate Asians, or any race, like one of the ladies said, everyone has to make a living, I mean maybe they like the whole fashion, hair, nails industry.....Maybe they enjoy the interaction with other races!? I don't know but it doesn't bother me.

Can't hate on Asian BSS owners :nono:! If it wasn't for them I don't know where I'd get my haircare supplies from... the BSS's local to me are ALL owned by Asians.

B/c the majority of them suck and engage in overt racial discrimination, but yet we have no other options but to go through them to get stuff. . .so they continue anyway. On top of that, they sell tons of fake products.

I was in the Asian BSS the other day and this chick asked the BSS worker how much this one brand of weave was. His response was, "Way too much. You can't afford it. (forced slight giggle) No, I am jk. $79.95." In what freaking world is it okay to talk to a customer like that? But you know dummy went and paid it no mind :rolleyes:

B/c they are ultra small businesses and have endless black customers, a loss of one or two is nothing to them. They don't feel it is necessary to abide by the same customer service standards as other businesses strive to.

I'm mad that one of the nice Asian BSS owners here are closing their store :(

Last edited:
So why do so many folks harbor anger and hatred toward Asian BSS owners?​

Fair disclosure:
Yes, I'm married to an Asian guy, and I do bring my little hapa angels to the BSS with me... But DH is Japanese, and these store owners are Korean. If anything, that would make them treat me WORSE, not better. :look: There's no love lost there.​

I welcome your thoughts on the matter.​

First, disclaimer: I and my family do not hate Asian people. With that said, I know that it is seriously difficult trying to break into a bss in Black areas if you are not Asian. This is due to bank redlining as well as cost of supplies. My father had one for a short term. His prices reflected what he paid from the manufacturers because he couldn't get into the warehouse clubs in his region to get the supplies cheaper. They verify if you are Asian or not. If not, you cannot get in. This is a fact. So, Koreans dominate on that market and order very large quantities of product and can sell then at a very cheap price in their stores.

I think that one reason might be obvious in many bss' owned by Asians, the lack of respect. Few hire Blacks or Latinos in the neighborhood. It's more common now but after the riots in LA, I believe they realized they needed to have more of "us" represented in their stores. It's good for business, it's good for the community.

A popular store in my former city had oodles of products. Problem was they never got rid of old items. They just discounted them. Believe me, some of them must have been 10 years old or something. The new bottles compared to the old...like seeing a can of Cambell's soup at your ggrandparents' house and wondering what the diff. is because it looks "funny." This was the case. Plus, when there was a product spill, including nail polish, they NEVER cleaned it up.

Once, I was desperate to get this product I needed and stopped in there and I was pressed for time and had to get my kids. Honestly, the floor was filthy with stainage. I asked them to clean it up and the guy said he didn't have the staff - that it was costly to mop the floor. I insisted and scolded him. I surely did. I then told the Black people in the store that they did not have to put up with it - that they could either demand them to treat you with respect or stop patronising that business. Of course, I had bought the product but that day (shouldn't have) but I was shocked by the stains of product down the aisles. It was ridiculous and black from folks walking on it for weeks on end.

I stopped going there. But for lack of choice in that neighborhood (it was far from my home and across statelines), people patronise it rather than pay more at the pharmacy or other stores. Business owners should be known for their respect towards the community of clients they "serve." This has been a sore point for many people, Latino and Black, whose most convenient bss stores are Asian owned. There is a diff. psyche involved and diff. idea of what is expected. Sorry I am so verbose but this thread truly stuck out for me.

Blacks do not hate them, they are tired of the crappy business practices.

Last edited:
I know of 1 or 2 black owned BSS here, but the few times I've gone they didn't have what I was looking for! The selection was terrible!

I've never been treated badly at an asian BSS...heck the owner of one of them hits on me (which was gross because he's old enough to be my daddy). And most of the workers in them are hispanic or black.

But nowadays I order most of my stuff online from our members or get things from Sally's or pharmacy stores.....or pet supply stores, lol.

I think if you are in a ghetto area vs. a more moderate income black area it makes a huge difference in the stores. The Korean-owned BSS around me are spotless, the service friendly, prices are competitive. That's why I never had a problem shopping there.

That's funny the guy tried to hit on you Winnettag.... :lachen: I get that too sometimes... the Korean greengrocer saw DH and figured that since I liked Asian guys he should try me.... :rolleyes: Nah, bruh. You look like 10 miles of bad road, PLUS I'm married! But even if I wasn't, if you look like the Crypt Keeper's Korean cuzzin it aint happening! :barf:

I stopped patronizing asian owned beauty supply stores. I don't like to be followed and I don't like how they are dominating beauty supply stores in black neighborhoods. And I have lots of Asian friends and associates (school and church stuff) so it's nothing against the people but there is something wrong with the whole idea of Asians dominating a whole sector relating to another culture.

It's like going to China town and 80% of black folks own the markets.

Yep we dropped the ball, but we have to take a stand at some point and take it back. This isn't about putting culture against culture, but just like my analogy above doesn't make any sense neither does this idea of Asians dominating the black hair care supply market.

I rather give my money to black owned businesses and if I can't find one of them than the dominant society (sallys, walgreens, and target).

Blacks didn't drop the ball. They were desegregated and more of their children got college educations in non-segregated institutions...went off looking for "mainstream" professional jobs. Blacks used to provide all their own services, except light and gas lol. With desegregation, that was all changed. Banks redline, allow others to get the loans to serve that community. Few Black business owners of mom and pop stores anymore. Thinking of, my dermatologist once told me about bank redlining in the Black neighborhood and he said they were moving their office to the suburbs because the insurance was wretched. Bottom line, money.

I think if you are in a ghetto area vs. a more moderate income black area it makes a huge difference in the stores. The Korean-owned BSS around me are spotless, the service friendly, prices are competitive. That's why I never had a problem shopping there.

That's funny the guy tried to hit on you Winnettag.... :lachen: I get that too sometimes... the Korean greengrocer saw DH and figured that since I liked Asian guys he should try me.... :rolleyes: Nah, bruh. You look like 10 miles of bad road, PLUS I'm married! But even if I wasn't, if you look like the Crypt Keeper's Korean cuzzin it aint happening! :barf:

The nerve of some people! And EEWWW! :lachen:

I've never had a bad customer service experience at an Asian BSS. Hell, most of the time they throw a eyebrow groomer or lip gloss or something in my bag for free. lol

I've never had a bad customer service experience at an Asian BSS. Hell, most of the time they throw a eyebrow groomer or lip gloss or something in my bag for free. lol

I know, right! I remember the first time I bought some human hair for micros at a BSS and the guy gave me a comb and a tub of brown gel (which I don't use, but still) in there for free. I was so touched! I thought he was such a nice guy! Later I told my SF how I always go to that specific BSS because of how the owner did that, and my SF said that dude made bank from his free comb and little gel! He made his money back in spades cuz of that.

Smart business practices have helped Koreans get ahead in the black hair game, too, not just unfair advantages.

I didn't even know there was an animosity toward them. I like the Manassas BSS. The dude that owns it or works there has been more helpful to me than the black girls I've seen at Sally's. I have never ever gotten any guidance when shopping at Sally's from the girls that work there. I remember one girl not even knowing common brand names like Luster's or LeKair...and then months after Curlformers were out, they told me they didn't have anything of the sort I was looking for...until I found the things myself. :nono: The Korean dude at the BSS in Manassas has not only pointed me to where products are when I give him their names but even helped me pick my soft bonnet dryer by giving me pros and cons of the others. Even he was behind my choosing my ceramic iron. I like good customer service and people who actually take the time to familiarize themselves with the places they work and goods they sell. So I have no problems whatsoever with Korean owned BSSs.

I think cuz some of them rob us blind! Either the products are diluted, expired, or not what the label says or they over charge. Some might say they treat us like thieves or less than when we enter their store by following us or giving us attitude. I can go on and on. Sad thing is it dosen't matter what the city what the state....they are usually the only game in town or the biggest variety. And its rare to find a black owned hair supply place.

I don't hate them. I've lived in Korea and speak some Korean, but I still feel like I'm being watched there. I mean, it's a bind because perhaps they do have a bunch of thefts and if your store were being constantly shoplifted you might be on the look-out, too. But even if that's true, I don't want to be watched. I did try to be nice, even greeted them in Korean and they were nice back. But I guess the memory is short or it didn't matter because when I went back I was being watched again. Besides, I'd rather spend my money supporting businesses that specifically cater to me like Oyin and Qhemet. Better quality products and I get to support my own ethnic group at least in this, which is what others do all the time.

Sometimes I get irritated when they're in our communities and won't even hire ONE black person. In terms of customer service, I've had both good and bad. Honestly most times it's a cultural difference and sometimes, I can't even blame them for being rude because I've seen some IGNORANT black people in the BSS doing unnecessary things . . . Idk, I guess it goes both ways.

I'm late on this one, but, in my neck of the woods, they hire the ghetto queen.:nono: I don't frequent those stores; only if I'm in a bind and need some plastic caps at most. And yes, I've experienced the same with the loud ignant black folks.

Blacks didn't drop the ball. They were desegregated and more of their children got college educations in non-segregated institutions...went off looking for "mainstream" professional jobs. Blacks used to provide all their own services, except light and gas lol. With desegregation, that was all changed. Banks redline, allow others to get the loans to serve that community. Few Black business owners of mom and pop stores anymore. Thinking of, my dermatologist once told me about bank redlining in the Black neighborhood and he said they were moving their office to the suburbs because the insurance was wretched. Bottom line, money.

I know one professional woman who said that desegregation was one of the worst things to happen to the black community. The way she talked about it made me go HUH...she might have an excellent point.

Thank you for this extra info.

I dont really blame the Asians/Koreans for owning BSS's in the black community.

We dropped the ball on that one. Plain and simple. We dropped it, they picked it up and ran with it.

They saw a need that wasnt being fulfilled, and they supplied the need.

The issue that I have with some of them is the blatant disrespect and contempt they show toward black people, who are the very ones lining their pockets.

That also stands true for any other merchant who takes your money and then spits in your face.
COSIGN!
1st:: i would LOVE to see ur kids!!! i bet they are the MOST adorable things EVER!!!!!!!!
2nd:: lets spit real talk right now, business is business. ur gonna market to the community that it makes sense to market to. how many businesses do we own?? mostly restaurants. however, in our culture long hair is admired so we (black folks) naturally wanna make every attempt to make our hair grow. nobody can hate on them for being good business people. if that be the case,be mad at the africans for braiding hair.
the people in the beauty supply store are insanely nice. one time i was gonna buy a cheap phony pony && the man was like thats bad hair quality. now do i know if it was or not?? no, but i know the two ponytails i have now are amazing! and theyre synthetic. hating on the koreans in the bss is pure & simple HATIN'.

this could easily turn into a discussion on race and politics. this could easily turn into a very particular debate.

all I have to say is, in atlanta, the bss I go to, there are black people working there, and there are ranges or products. from bad, blue magic, to good, aphogee, shoot I couldn't find the coconut oil I needed til I went to the bss on mlk. but that's just me.

i don't necessary sit and ponder and get mad at bss, because you can do anything you want to do if you just hustle hard for it, there is a black natural hair boutique in atlanta called urbanbella and they are upscale in my opinion so i mean its not like black people CAN't branch out in the area of supply, but why knock someone else's hustle, why get political, unless we're gonna get out there and do something to change it?

and a lot of people are ignorant to asian races, they see an asian person and say, ooh they chinese, when they might be japanese, might not even realize that indian people are asian, cambodians, and etc. i just feel like there's alot to this topic...than just what is being discussed.

Back