Whoever reccomended vertical braids for a sew in

BSweet

I LOVE YOU! :dinner: ...Thank You so much..when i took it out i had so much growth and my hair was not matted or thinned out..

I'm addicted..i'm gonna give my hair a two week break then its going BACK in..

Last edited:
Sorry I do not have a clue what is vertical braids and do you have a photo. I was not trying to hear about no kind of braids but if you have no breakage maybe I will try it.

I was going to try this, this week for my next sew in, glad to see you had good results with it.
Question time :D
How did your weave look? How do you usually weave your hair, was the effect the same or better? what did you do once you got to the front of your hair? How long did you have the weave in, ::breathe:: one last question how many cornrows did you do!?

TIA ;)

Trudy said:
Sorry I do not have a clue what is vertical braids and do you have a photo. I was not trying to hear about no kind of braids but if you have no breakage maybe I will try it.

Vertical braids/cornrows are when you cornrow the hair (for a sew in) going straight back, i.e. from the top of your head (forehead) to the back (neck), I think alot of people like me do sew ins horizontally i.e. from ear to ear. hth

BSweet said:
I LOVE YOU! :dinner: ...Thank You so much..when i took it out i had so much growth and my hair was not matted or thinned out..

Doesn't it work so much better? :)

KissKiss said:
I was going to try this, this week for my next sew in, glad to see you had good results with it.
Question time :D
How did your weave look?

I did a little more than half my head and it looked great..maybe i'll post pics of my weave..

How do you usually weave your hair, was the effect the same or better?

Horizontal braids
i usully do horizontal and my experience was horrible. It was in for two months.. I took it out i hardly had any growth my hair was very matted and a lot thinner..i guess from combing out the matting..all i know my hair looked better prior..a bit of a setback last fall ..i had to grow it back out and thats when i found LHCF

Vertical
I was vercy skeptical when someone suggested it on LHCF..i just didnt want to have another bad sew in experience..but i decided to give it a shot.. there were about 6-8 braids going up and down vertically..With that vertical braids I had a good amout of growth..maybe about 1.5-2 inches...i had it in for two months..when i took it out there was not matting

TIA

Last edited:
BSweet said:
maybe about 1.5-2 inches...i had it in for two months..............

I was sold from this point and havn't even tried it yet, thanks for the review ;)

Last edited:
OMG yes! I heard on this board about doing vertical braids for a sew in and was dumbfounded.:perplexed I was like, "how the heck do you sew horizontal hair on braids going straight down?" But this wkend, I tried it for my first ever self sew-in. And I LOVED IT. Here's what it looks like:

weave3.jpg

TowsonGirl said:
OMG yes! I heard on this board about doing vertical braids for a sew in and was dumbfounded.:perplexed I was like, "how the heck do you sew horizontal hair on braids going straight down?" But this wkend, I tried it for my first ever self sew-in. And I LOVED IT. Here's what it looks like:

weave3.jpg

Ok! I am going to need you to quickly tell me what kind of hair you used for that weave or I am going to come to Towson and find you!! :)

Honeydew, you are hilarious! Well, I'm a lil embarrased cuz some ppl on here use the EP hair or other high quality hair, and me, well I just used some cheap ole BSS hair. I used one pack and it cost a whopping $7.99.

On the pack it says [Say Me Tangle Free Premium Yaki 10"]

(Oh, and I'm also on Reniece's waiting list, but couldnt wait any longer and decided I'd just try and do it myself. And surprisingly, I didnt do half bad. From all the wonderful tips I have read on here, my first sew-in was a success. Thanks everyone!):D

TowsonGirl said:
Honeydew, you are hilarious! Well, I'm a lil embarrased cuz some ppl on here use the EP hair or other high quality hair, and me, well I just used some cheap ole BSS hair. I used one pack and it cost a whopping $7.99.

(Oh, and I'm also on Reniece's waiting list, but couldnt wait any longer and decided I'd just try and do it myself. And surprisingly, I didnt do half bad. From all the wonderful tips I have read on here, my first sew-in was a success. Thanks everyone!):D

Girl please, there is nothing wrong with the cheaper hair. Actually for me, some of the cheaper ones blend better with my texture, but they end ou tangling and shedding more. Trade off I guess. The more expensive ones tend to be too silky for me, but they shed and tanlge less. I guess that is why everyone loves the EP hair, you get the best of both worlds. It is too expensive, though. The only thing that has got me leaning towards getting it is that you can reuse it.

If I get that hair and cannot reuse it, I am going to be PISSED.

Your weave looks so natural! That is what I want!

I have an appointment Wednesday to get my hair done at that other place. She only works WED. THUR FRI :perplexed But, the clients that she had there made me feel good about seeing her. We had a good consulation when I was in. She really focuses on hair health and growth and I liked that. She knows about LHCF, too.

BSweet said:

Give your thanks to RabiaElaine..she was the one who came up with this new way and gives step by step instructions.

It was in early 2006 when I started doing vertical braids for weaves. My cousin did my hair and she said the vertical braids where a lot better because it will make the weave lay flatter...so I tried it and I loved it. Not only did it make the weave lay flatter but it also was easier to take out (no tangles and such) :-)

TowsonGirl said:

I went online and I could not find Say Me, but I could find Do Me Yaki. I am mad that they named the hair that. :)

OK, I am thinking about jumping on the Weave Bandwagon if I can do it wihtout damaging my own hair.

How to you to the front ?

sherylin123 said:
Give your thanks to RabiaElaine..she was the one who came up with this new way and gives step by step instructions.

RabiaElaine didn't come up with it. She just researched and asked questions here and on the Weave/Extensions forum over at BHM. She then took the info she gathered and did her own weave successfully. I've been doing it this way for years.

i know back in the day ppl use to do horizontal but i didnt think ppl still did weaves like that OMG..shocked..

i have never had horizontal braids on a sewn-in..always vertical.. but my stylist actually does a very intricate combination of both vertical and horizontal to get a certain affect..but intersting to know ppl were still doin horizontal...

its always interesting to know what ppl are still doin and what new things have been implemented.. like i remember when a poster asked what a doobie was.. and i am like..wow...i think i just assume that everyone knows what a doobie is...or finger waves or pincurls or strawset or rod set etc.

BAP28 said:
i have never had horizontal braids on a sewn-in..always vertical.. but my stylist actually does a very intricate combination of both vertical and horizontal to get a certain affect..but intersting to know ppl were still doin horizontal...

I think it just depends on the stylist and what style you're going for. I've had quite a few braid patterns but it depending on what type of hair I was getting weaved in, the length of my hair, how much of my hair was being left out, etc. The longer your hair is, the bulkier the horizontal braids will get. Also, I find that stylists sometimes do horizontal braids when they're trying to cut corners. Doing the zig zag/snake horizontal braid is easier. You can just make one big braid from the nape all the way to where the last track is. My hair always unravels in the middle of my head from washing with the horizontal braids. But when I didn't wash my weave often, it wasn't a problem. I've never had that problem with vertical ones. There's also less tangling. And it's easier for me to cornrow my hair straight back versus trying to go side to side anyway. It's easier on my arms too.

The first time I ever got my hair done in a weave, she did them vertically.

When she was braiding it, I was like, whoa, isn't it supposed to be vertically.

But my weave looked damn good, somehow the style works out better too!!

Then I got them down horizontally, and It just felt different.

I don't know about groth and such... but vertically is the way to go!!!

HoneyDew said:
like this?

track.jpg

No just straight back like if you were getting all of your hair cornrowed. You just leave whatever hair you want out for blending out. And start the cornrow behind it. When I got my hair done at the salon they added synthetic hair in. And they did it just like they were doing cornrows with extensions where you loop the hair on at the front. She just tucked the ends under at the nape and sewed them down. And my hair around the edges was left out in the front to cover the tracks.

ETA: You know what I just remembered esoterica has pics in her fotki of it. She used to do her weaves that way but now I believe she uses concentric circles (spiral). Her sn used to be jaded cynicism or something like that so her fotki might still be named that.

Last edited:
I WISH I KNEW HOW TO CORNROW PERIOD...i would be good to go...my mother doesnt know she didnt teach me and although my homegirl who is a stylist attempts to teach me every time--its not a good look-lol...i can do it but not close enough to the scalp to make it look decent lol..for the ladies who can cornrow..... applause

bmoreflyygirl said:
I think it just depends on the stylist and what style you're going for. I've had quite a few braid patterns but it depending on what type of hair I was getting weaved in, the length of my hair, how much of my hair was being left out, etc. The longer your hair is, the bulkier the horizontal braids will get. Also, I find that stylists sometimes do horizontal braids when they're trying to cut corners. Doing the zig zag/snake horizontal braid is easier. You can just make one big braid from the nape all the way to where the last track is. My hair always unravels in the middle of my head from washing with the horizontal braids. But when I didn't wash my weave often, it wasn't a problem. I've never had that problem with vertical ones. There's also less tangling. And it's easier for me to cornrow my hair straight back versus trying to go side to side anyway. It's easier on my arms too.

bmoreflyygirl said:
No just straight back like if you were getting all of your hair cornrowed. You just leave whatever hair you want out for blending out. And start the cornrow behind it. When I got my hair done at the salon they added synthetic hair in. And they did it just like they were doing cornrows with extensions where you loop the hair on at the front. She just tucked the ends under at the nape and sewed them down. And my hair around the edges was left out in the front to cover the tracks.

ETA: You know what I just remembered esoterica has pics in her fotki of it. She used to do her weaves that way but now I believe she uses concentric circles (spiral). Her sn used to be jaded cynicism or something like that so her fotki might still be named that.

duh! that is horizontal.

When I was getting my hair braided they were weaving her on a circular base. Her hair looked really good when they were done. Very natural looking.

HoneyDew said:
duh! that is horizontal.

When I was getting my hair braided they were weaving her on a circular base. Her hair looked really good when they were done. Very natural looking.

I've had a circle before too. You have to be careful with that though because sometimes it ends up looking like a beehive. That happened to my friend. She paid this woman $150 at PG Plaza bc she needed her hair done at the last minute for a funeral and it looked horrible. :perplexed She went back twice and tried to get the lady to fix it with no avail. She just took it out. I would have demanded my money back but she didn't. IDK why... She only went back to begin with because our other friend made her.

Back