WHO WASHES THEIR HAIR TWICE A MONTH WITH SUCCESS

Nanyanika

Hi ladies, i'm seriously considering washing my hair once every fortnight. I was washing my hair quite often since my new relaxer and i find my hair becoming tangly and dry and i have difficult combouts resulting in breakage, not to mention newgrowth at the roots. Has anyone washed their hair once every two weeks with healthy long hair, please let me know your regime and how you wear your hair including products. i personally want to leave my hair in a bun for up to two weeks and just oil my hair daily or use my homemade concoctions.

Den, normally I wash once a week but sometimes I will skip a week. I just keep it bunned up and it's fine. As long as you can deal with the itchies, you'll be fine.

The only thing that's kind of a nuisance if I wait that long is that my scalp is oily, while the ends are dry. Strange.:perplexed

MizAvalon said:
Den, normally I wash once a week but sometimes I will skip a week. I just keep it bunned up and it's fine. As long as you can deal with the itchies, you'll be fine.

The only thing that's kind of a nuisance if I wait that long is that my scalp is oily, while the ends are dry. Strange.:perplexed

I agree. I go every other week to avoid manipulation and my hair is progressing nicely. I keep my hair loosely bunned up.

MizAvalon said:

Thanks for replying. I was thinking of bagging my ends all the way to prevent dry splitting ends.

CandiceC said:
I agree. I go every other week to avoid manipulation and my hair is progressing nicely. I keep my hair loosely bunned up.
You see this is my concern MANIPULATION, I'll really trying to avoid this, my hair is relaxed straight soo its much weaker than texturized hair. the combing and denman brushing every week is breaking my hair in addition to dryness from frequent washings.

yup den1 Ita-As long as you keep it oiled it should be fine...I have to go back to washing every other week myself:( :mad: I am so upset about my setback :cry2: not to hijack u'r thread,but I sooooooooo enjoyed co washing everyother day but it's not working for my hair.Once it gets back on track i may go back to weekly...I used to be a bi weekly washer before and it worked like a charm:) Good Luck..HHG

Atrinibeauty

I do it sometimes. Some months I just skip washing my own hair and will only go to the salon every two weeks.

It works fine for me, but I make sure I get deep conditions with those two washes. :)

I think I would die if I washed my hair this infrequent. My hair gets kinda oily after about 4 days. I have to wash it frequently.

atrinibeauty said:
yup den1 Ita-As long as you keep it oiled it should be fine...I have to go back to washing every other week myself:( :mad: I am so upset about my setback :cry2: not to hijack u'r thread,but I sooooooooo enjoyed co washing everyother day but it's not working for my hair.Once it gets back on track i may go back to weekly...I used to be a bi weekly washer before and it worked like a charm:) Good Luck..HHG

Atrinibeauty
Me too, the co washes are making my hair tangly and i really enjoying doing them i was addicted to using my vo5 every few days, i love the feel of the conditionber on my hair and rinsing it out, i feel miserable but i really need this regimen change. good luck too

JenniferMD said:
I do it sometimes. Some months I just skip washing my own hair and will only go to the salon every two weeks.

It works fine for me, but I make sure I get deep conditions with those two washes. :)
That's what i was thinking of, leaving deep conditionings fortnightly instead!! i plan to hot oil treatment dabur amla oil, or AO conditioners, followed by affirm reconstuctor and elasta QP DRC. then just add my creamy moisturisers and airdy in a bun. then use my oil mic daily.

Honestly I Co Wash whenever I feel like it, I thought that I would have to do it daily since I have a Twa but I have noticed that if I just wash it once a week or 2x a week my hair is fine.

I am seriously contemplating doing this. Ever since I started misting, my hair is not losing any moisture. The only negative is that my scalp will suffer because of this so I'm still not sure yet :(

Perhaps adding nice smelling essential oils to your oil that you add to your deep conditioners would make a difference in being able to stretch your shampoo days. eg. madarin, cinnamon, clove, grapefruit, vanilla lime etc. Do not forget to oil your ends. bonjour

*Dee* said:
I am seriously contemplating doing this. Ever since I started misting, my hair is not losing any moisture. The only negative is that my scalp will suffer because of this so I'm still not sure yet :(
I sometimes soak my scalp in rosewater, so i don't really miss out on the conditioing effects, like you my scalp would probably feel crawly lol, i have to save my strands from breakage, and i find co washes aren't working my hair feels hard not soft. I'll try clarifying next time and see how it goes.

I used to wash once every 2 wks when my hair was at it's longest years ago, but now that i go to the gym everyday, I wash more frequently

I have been doing this a lot lately, I wash about twice a month now, lol, but my hair is growing really well. I am going to start cw now that it is getting warm.

I have done this for years with no ill effects, my hair suffers if I wash more frequently, particulary the wet detangling process, thats why i can only wash once every 2 weeks. I oil my hair once every 4 days and comb/finger comb at the same time if necessary. It works wonders for me, if I manipulated it anymore often, i would be asking for trouble.

I normally wash my hair once a week. However, there have been several times when I went two weeks or more without washing my hair. I must admit, I didn't have any problems at all. Sometimes it's so convenient for me to wash my hair every two weeks.

I was so short on time yesterday that I went to my sister-in-law (licensed hair stylist - but not my regular stylist) just to get a shampoo, condition and blow dry. There are so many times when my schedule just doesn't allow me the time to wash my own hair - which is why I go two weeks in between every now and then.

Last edited:
Before I began a serious workout regimen, I used to go to the salon and poo/DC bi-weekly. My hair did fine although I did/do notice that it does *better* when I deep condition it weekly.

I workout every other day so I don't think my hair would appreciate the build up of salt and sweat on my scalp. That would probably lead to shedding and other problems if I wasn't extremely diligent about oiling my scalp before every workout. I don't like putting product in my hair every single day so I opt to poo/DC or DCW weekly in order to avoid having to put a protective barrier on my scalp all the time.

I definitely think washing bi-weekly works for many...it probably has a lot to do with the quality of the products. Additionally, lifestyle would probably help or hinder this kind of regimen.

HTH

{DI}

I wash my hair once every three weeks, and my hair is doing just fine. I wear my hair up most of the time, and grease it once a week without any problem. My hair is pressed, so maybe if I had a relaxer or a perm I would wash it every two weeks. Washing my hair too frequently now would result in pressing my hair more often, and I do not want that.

princesmich said:
I used to wash once every 2 wks when my hair was at it's longest years ago, but now that i go to the gym everyday, I wash more frequently
For now I shouldn't have any issues, however soon i will be embarking on an excerise regimen, so i'll probably have to wash my hair regularly, or maybe i could just shampoo my scalp.

honey_jammz82 said:
I have been doing this a lot lately, I wash about twice a month now, lol, but my hair is growing really well. I am going to start cw now that it is getting warm.
Because you wash your hair less frequently, do you tend to use clarifying shampoos more?

lonei said:
I have done this for years with no ill effects, my hair suffers if I wash more frequently, particulary the wet detangling process, thats why i can only wash once every 2 weeks. I oil my hair once every 4 days and comb/finger comb at the same time if necessary. It works wonders for me, if I manipulated it anymore often, i would be asking for trouble.
Your hair has done very well on this regimen, i need to follow this more closely, what products do you use when you get round to wash day?

michelle3147 said:
I think I would die if I washed my hair this infrequent. My hair gets kinda oily after about 4 days. I have to wash it frequently.

same here. I cannot go past 3 or 4 days w/o washing.

Me!

I only wash weekly if I have a protective style..

Other than that, its every 2 weeks for me :)

den1 said:
Hi ladies, i'm seriously considering washing my hair once every fortnight. I was washing my hair quite often since my new relaxer and i find my hair becoming tangly and dry and i have difficult combouts resulting in breakage, not to mention newgrowth at the roots. Has anyone washed their hair once every two weeks with healthy long hair, please let me know your regime and how you wear your hair including products. i personally want to leave my hair in a bun for up to two weeks and just oil my hair daily or use my homemade concoctions.

Den, I have a question for you. Do you pre-comb your hair before shampooing to detangle? Do you shampoo your hair in braids? The reason why I'm asking is this is what Robin Wood's suggests and I know you are very loyal to her crown and glory methods. I tried her methods of shampooing because my hair is texturized and it is over 5 inches long. So saturday evening before i shampooed, I sectioned my hair and combed through each section to detangle it. The only time I comb my hair is on Saturday when I wash it. I then braid each section according to Robin and I jumped in the shower to shampoo using the dilute shampoo/water and washing my scalp but just squeezing the shampoo/water mixture through my hair. I lost very little hair shampooing my hair this way. It was time-consuming, but it was worth it. I was just wondering if you shampooed your hair the way that Robin suggests that can help cut down on your hair tangling so much. Perhaps you can do a pre-shampoo treatment with natural ingredients such as emu oil, avocado, honey etc. I know you already know to beware of shampoos that have SLS because they can dry your hair, as well as products that contain alcohol. I wish you the best in your hair growing journey!

Back