• Yes

Votes: 36 22.4%
  • No

Votes: 83 51.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 42 26.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I grew up with my mom putting in the Dax grease that smells like tar. So for a long while I stopped using it and stuck to shea butter. I recently tried it again because my hair gets so dry in the winter. I applied it to the ends (not my scalp) and my hair was awesomely moisturized.

It seems like we have as many people who use grease (even if its on occasion) as we do who don't use it. This surprises me.

I use it when I'm at my parents & Very Cold Winter days..(only on ends) over moisturizer..

Happy Hair Growing!

NO grease for me. Made my scalp itchy and flaky, and my hair greasy, somewhat sticky, weighed down and shiny, but not moisturized.

ETA: I don't like the smell either, I always wondered what made them think it was a good idea to make it smell... musty like that (Indian Hemp, Blue Magic, Dax grease). It may not be the word I'm looking for but its not fresh and light... (think Cantu Shea Butter,Elasta QP Mango Butter, Jamaican Mango & Lime leave in, or African Pride Braid Spray). The only exception was Coconut Blue Magic which smelled better but gave similar results...

Last edited:
I have a jar of B&B light (red and white jar) :lick:, come to think of it I think I have the orange and white jar too and a jar of Blue Magic Coconut grease. I only really use the B&B light every now and again mainly to help lay my edges down when bunning on dry hair or just a dap on my ends to seal. Most of the time I take a dab, rub my hands together, and swipe my hair when I take my rollers out in morning from a rollerset usually about the 4th or 5th day and my set looks fresh all over again.

NO grease for me. Made my scalp itchy and flaky, and my hair greasy, somewhat sticky, weighed down and shiny, but not moisturized.

ETA: I don't like the smell either, I always wondered what made them think it was a good idea to make it smell... musty like that (Indian Hemp, Blue Magic, Dax grease). It may not be the word I'm looking for but its not fresh and light... (think Cantu Shea Butter,Elasta QP Mango Butter, Jamaican Mango & Lime leave in, or African Pride Braid Spray). The only exception was Coconut Blue Magic which smelled better but gave similar results...

The mango smells good. I think grease made my scalp itchy and flaky but it's been so long. I can only put oils on there now. My hair feels weird after i use it but the second day it feels nice. Like a lot of people I don't use it for moisture but trapping in oils .

I might have to try it on my nape and I love the coconut grease too. I used it this winter, very nice :yep:

I use Murray's grease - but only to slick down my edges when I wear my hair out.
murrays.gif

I sometimes use Kids Organics Soft Hold Styling Pomade and Hair Dress on my scalp. It doesn't contain mineral oil or petroleum which is a huge plus for me.

Last edited:
I do! Either Oyin's burnt sugar or design essentials. But my scalp is not happy without some

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Is Hairveda almond glaze considered grease? If so, then yes.

I consider it grease :yep:. It's my favorite one along with Qhemet's Amla Pomade. I am trying Claudie's Shea Pomade next. So I only use natural versions of grease without petrolatum or mineral oil. In the past I would grease my scalp but now I only use it on the length of my hair.

Nature's blessing is not petroleum free. The petroleum in this product is listed as mineral jelly.

I heard this, but the mineral jelly is so far down the list, that it doesn't really bother me.

I tend to use this from time to time on my scalp,too.

treasuredlocks_2144_28863552

Infusion of Rosemary, Sage, Nettle, Oatstraw, Burdock Root, Horsetail, Peppermint, Lemongrass & Lavender Flowers in Coconut Oil, Pure Shea Butter, Grade A Refined Olive Oil and Tea Tree Oil

Not me! :look:

Cannot stand the stuff - Blue Magic, Dixie Peach yuk. Even the term grease makes my skin itch. It's reminiscent of engine oil. That stuff just attracts dirt...

My mum's hair thrives on Blue Magic. Her hair is relaxed and thick. In the past I've used Kuza Indian Hemp and it was great for my hair. It's only since I've joind LHCF that I've started using pure coconut oil and JBCO. I know that some hair grease contains mainly petroleum and mineral oil which many people consider bad, but they have never had a negative effect on my hair or scalp so I have no problem going back to using them.

31buMz8Ul2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I heard this, but the mineral jelly is so far down the list, that it doesn't really bother me.

I tend to use this from time to time on my scalp,too.

treasuredlocks_2144_28863552

Infusion of Rosemary, Sage, Nettle, Oatstraw, Burdock Root, Horsetail, Peppermint, Lemongrass & Lavender Flowers in Coconut Oil, Pure Shea Butter, Grade A Refined Olive Oil and Tea Tree Oil

Bubblingbrownshuga
I use this too/I add my JBCO mix to it & ginger..I like this because it doesn't have mineral or petro..My scalp feels so nice...

Happy Hair Growing!

The mango smells good. I think grease made my scalp itchy and flaky but it's been so long. I can only put oils on there now. My hair feels weird after i use it but the second day it feels nice. Like a lot of people I don't use it for moisture but trapping in oils .

I might have to try it on my nape and I love the coconut grease too. I used it this winter, very nice :yep:

I'd still prefer not to use it, even if its just on the hair of itself, my hair is fine, and I don't like it when there's too much coconut oil on it, as light as that is, much less grease.

Last edited:
Not often but I recently started using Keracare dry and itchy scalp glossifier. I like thin grease if that makes sense something not real thick so I won't weigh my hair down

Sent from my HERO200 using Long Hair Care Forum App

My edges like the grease. It works like a charm to slick them down. And sometime I use straight vaseline.

Yep I use a dab of grease in the morning before I comb out my rollerset. I airdry overnight and the grease seems to protect against humidity. Only SoftTouch though (not Softee, not BlueMagic; same family I think)

Nope. I used to grease my scalp all of the time, but I also had bad dandruff back then. I used B&B for YEARS...

I tried not too long ago and my scalp started itching.

I don't put ANYTHING on it now and it is quite happy.

I do not use grease because i hate it, but i dont hate it because ppl say its bad for our hair. I hate it because it never liked me:lol: It always made my scalp & hair OVERLY greasy. It just laid on my hair, it never moisturized my hair!
I once used either crisco or lard on my hair, and it made my hair very moisturized but a few minutes later i was smelling like a dead pig:blush:

Petrolatum for the skin is not comedogenic so I don't know how people think it would clog the hair follicles. It's a medical product (by-product, at that). Shrugs. Anyhoo, tried all these butters and what not and most of them went rancid or just felt waxy like shea butter. I'm Spanish Sur Gro baby!!! And to my surprise, chock full of castor oil! I am now oiling the scalp once weekly after the wash. I love that product and the new one they make, Don't Be Bald...it's even lighter (the red one). But Roots is the best and they have a moisturizing leave-in. Henna+grease+egg/deep conditioner = good hair :yep:

Last edited:
Back