whyme.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
No pics of C's?????
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the C's are kind of "made up" in-between types.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, ok. B/c none of those pics looks like my hair and I was hoping to peg it w/a pic of a C. I guess this just further confirms what I am not, but does little to confirm EXACTLY what I am.

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Check out The Hair Lady's hair type chart: CLICK HERE!

[/ QUOTE ]

Her hair typing system stinks and the people she has in the same categories don't even match each other in hair type.
nono.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
4b could be 4a after being picked out.
whyme.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
lachen70.gif

Maybe I'm just tired, but you got me cracking up today!

[ QUOTE ]
Ipanema said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:

[/ QUOTE ]

She gives good advice after you click on the links, but those initial photographs are confusing. I think her descriptions of hairtype are okay, though.

4a.jpg

4b.jpg

This 3b one looks like synthetic, though.
3ab.jpg

2a2b.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Still can't tell. My hair from middle of my head back to my nape is definitely 4/b It is a firmly pack afro in it's natural state. But from the middle to the front. I have a texture that I have never seen on any hair typing system. I called it 4a but now I am more confused than ever. It has no curl pattern and when I was natural it would stand up straight on my head with no curl/zig-zag or anything I don't know what to call it. It use to mess up my fro cuz I would have to hide it with a head band or braid it. I give up!

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Her hair typing system stinks and the people she has in the same categories don't even match each other in hair type.
nono.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree! So that proves there's no way to accurately tell what your hair type is.
smirk.gif

It is confusing, and as has been pointed out, there are MANY different hair types. On the other hand, I like to know what someone's hair type is, because it helps me figure out whether their a part of their regimen can work for me. My hair is about as thick and kinky as hair comes, so if I read 2a talking about a product being very moisturizing, I am liable to give it less credence than I would if a 4b says the same thing. I think, at the end of the day, it's helpful (albeit somewhat confusing and even irritating) because you are able to better discern whose advice might work for you
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ipanema said:
She gives good advice after you click on the links, but those initial photographs are confusing. I think her descriptions of hairtype are okay, though.

4a.jpg

4b.jpg

This 3b one looks like synthetic, though.
3ab.jpg

2a2b.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still lost. That site should have defined a 3a and a 3b (same with 2s) the way they show the 4s. Even then, just A or B is too narrow. Andre's system is more of a description of pattern but lacks texture definition, LOIS lacks a pattern description, the focus is on texture principals.

Looks like LHCF members are in a good postition to recreate hair typing.
smile.gif

I agree with Jainygirl that pictures are much more helpful. I usually look at other's pics and take note of their hair texture and density, rather than use their classification of 3b to determine if their hair is similar to mine. I know alot of other people here also rely on pictures to get a more accurate understanding of hair texture.
While it is helpful that the Hair Lady gives pictures, I am still very much confused (perhaps even moreso than with Andre) by some of the pics. Multi-cultural texture? What exactly is that? Should in-between by the same as multi-cultural? And twos and 3's are the same, so why are they grouped together. Also, does fragile mean very kinky?

P.S.
Ipanema, I was thinking the same thing about the 3b texture pic being synthetic. I think I've seen that actual hair on a model, color and all, in an SBH article about weaves.

The in-between texture grouping has Snoop,Halle, Toni, and Nia long together. Huh?
And I think the category with Karen Parsons and Holly should be multi-cultural.

I think the best way to type your hair is just to give a description of it's curliness or waviness,for example my hair on the crown has large flat wavesthat barely shrink up when wet,looser curls,straighter type hair towards the back.I would not know where to begin with to type that hair cos I have diff textures and I have seen pictures of people with type '4a 'waves and looks just the same as '2a or 2b waves. So, my hair is wavy/curly even if your hair is 10b your hair is curly so everybody has good hair as long as it's on your head it's all good hair to me!
smile.gif

Dang I must be the only one who hasnt had a problem. The way Andre described the 3 texture in the book is really close to how my natural hair is. Now of course that would be in the uncombed state.

When I comb out my hair however, it resembles the 4b texture that the hair lady provides a picture of.

I think the system is a good frame but it needs to be more detailed. I really think we here at LHCF should expand it and combine it with the Lois system and then we would have a good system. We could even add picts from our members.

I didn't have a problem either...Also, I think that the reason I look at some people's hair and would give them a different hairtype than they may describe for themselves is because I usually look at the diameter of the curl or wave rather than if there is a curl or wave there. For example, I think that huge waves would be a 2 but teeny tiny waves would be a 4...same with curls. Either way, I kind of like it because it cuts down on the time finding something that works for me.

[ QUOTE ]
melodee said:
I for one am tired of us trying to classify our hair according to Andre's system. I understand the need to do so, as it helps us to be able to share valuable info about products that work for our various heads of hair. But, I am so CONFUSED by the system and the way people have interpreted it. I mean no offense, but some have labled their hair as 2 or 3 and have tiny coils or kinks naturally. I see that as type 4. I mean, if Sarah Jessica Parker and Kim Basinger are type 2, then some of the people here saying they are 2's are not really 2's. And I'm sure the reverse is also done, people who classify themselves as a 3c look like type 2 to me. But I just don't see the worth in classifying my hair down to the letter(a,b,c). Most of the time the differences are minor and mean nothing when deciding which products to use. And hair type really is in the eye of the beholder.
Anyone feeling me?

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly feel you. I think it's a micro hidden type of way to say GOOD HAIR or NAPPY HAIR.

I used this system after I did the big chop last year. Even then, my texture continues to change, not to mention that I have several on my head
smile.gif
. I can agree with some of the others that it is useful for product usage. But even then, it may not be a real predictor of how hair will respond to somethin.

I also think
naughty.gif
that it plays into the whole "good" hair "bad" hair thing for some people. An archaeic idea that just needs to die

It can be used to gauge yourself, but PLEASE, don't let it run your life.

My hair is nappy, kinky, and curly (sometimes) and whatever else you want to call it, but it is mine all mine to enjoy!!!! :bouncy

I get so frustrated when people who are obviously ashamed of their type 4 hair talk sh@t! I recall reading a post several weeks ago where the person was like, I'm paraphrasing "help, I don't know what to do, my hair looks like a type 4 mess...no offense to type 4s" THat really ticked me off...And maybe I may seem aloof or standoffish but I really don't have the time to baby people with hair issues. How could you not love what God gave you?

[ QUOTE ]
ReaLuvsAOxymoron said:
I didn't have a problem either...Also, I think that the reason I look at some people's hair and would give them a different hairtype than they may describe for themselves is because I usually look at the diameter of the curl or wave rather than if there is a curl or wave there. For example, I think that huge waves would be a 2 but teeny tiny waves would be a 4...same with curls. Either way, I kind of like it because it cuts down on the time finding something that works for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point. I think I do the same.

[ QUOTE ]
Alli77 said:
I recall reading a post several weeks ago where the person was like, I'm paraphrasing "help, I don't know what to do, my hair looks like a type 4 mess...no offense to type 4s" THat really ticked me off...

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember reading that, and it was offensive.

Hair typing has been fine for me. I don't think it makes a good/bad hair distinction unless you come into it with that preconception and/or opinion. People do have different hair types and this is just one way to try to categorize.

I am firmly mostly 4b with some 4a and I definitely find that if I listen to the recommendations of others with the same hair type I'll be better off in the long run
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DahomeyAhosi said:
Hair typing has been fine for me. I don't think it makes a good/bad hair distinction unless you come into it with that preconception and/or opinion. People do have different hair types and this is just one way to try to categorize.

I am firmly mostly 4b with some 4a and I definitely find that if I listen to the recommendations of others with the same hair type I'll be better off in the long run
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. in the book Andre even stated that he didnt believe in the good hair/ bad hair generalization. I guess it depends on how each individual takes it. Even if his hair typing category doesnt make sense to some people, there are still different types of hair whether we give them a number system or not. There would only be one shampoo conditioner and leave in on the market
laugh.gif
The Beauty supply industry would be non existent.

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
[ QUOTE ]
DahomeyAhosi said:

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. in the book Andre even stated that he didnt believe in the good hair/ bad hair generalization. I guess it depends on how each individual takes it. Even if his hair typing category doesnt make sense to some people, there are still different types of hair whether we give them a number system or not. There would only be one shampoo conditioner and leave in on the market
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe Andre had any evil motives either... but even if we only had one hair type I'm sure the hair industry would try to come up with 1000's of ways to get our money and as long as we fall for it they'll continue. After all there are about 5 different brands of canned green beans. And that's what capitalism is all about
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DahomeyAhosi said:
[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
[ QUOTE ]
DahomeyAhosi said:

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe Andre had any evil motives either... but even if we only had one hair type I'm sure the hair industry would try to come up with 1000's of ways to get our money and as long as we fall for it they'll continue. After all there are about 5 different brands of canned green beans. And that's what capitalism is all about
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i guess so. You see what a maketing genious I am right?
laugh.gif
Oh and I like french cut green beans the best
grin.gif

I think that Andre probably didn't envision people taking the hair typing system to such a degree as we do on hair boards. I agree that typing one's hair can be very subjective, and not only that but pictures do not always convey the true nature/texture or hair. I take most of my pics when my hair is styled with products, and to me it looks coilier/frizzier in person than in my pics...<shrug> I use the hair typing system as a general guideline only, not an exact thing.For example if someone says they have type 4 hair I'm going to expect it to be afro-type hair with a high degree of fuzz/frizz (if natural). Type 3 hair is similiar to type 4a but less wiry etc...But it's still a range, not an exact number.

I think the typing helps but it's not precise. Like for example, technically I am 4a but I always say 4a/b. I don't have any "Zs" in my hair and when not combed out for a few days, it looks like the Hair Lady's 4a picture, *but* more of the people I see who refer to themselves as 4a have slightly larger coils (e.g. pencil width vs. coffee stirrer width).

I also the picture of 4a vs. 4b is misleading - when I was natural and my hair was shorter, if I picked out my hair it would look like the 4b example.

[ QUOTE ]
Jade said:
I think the typing helps but it's not precise. Like for example, technically I am 4a but I always say 4a/b. I don't have any "Zs" in my hair and when not combed out for a few days, it looks like the Hair Lady's 4a picture, *but* more of the people I see who refer to themselves as 4a have slightly larger coils (e.g. pencil width vs. coffee stirrer width).

I also the picture of 4a vs. 4b is misleading - when I was natural and my hair was shorter, if I picked out my hair it would look like the 4b example.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah if i pick my hair out it looks like a 4 texture
smile.gif

Back