Who has difficulty styling their natural hair?

Im style challenged too

Ive been wearing a 'puff' for the past few months but my hair is growing and the puff isnt looking how it once did so.. I'll be experimenting w/other curly like styles as I dont plan to use heat anytime soon

good luck!

OP, you should just pay to get your hair styled and wear it for a few weeks. it sounds like you just don't feel like doing your hair. i can understand that. you sound like you want a wake up and go style. you could always set aside a day for your hair, and rock that style the rest of the week too if you don't want to pay someone else.

I'm style challenged too. So, I got to the point that I am happy as long as my hair looks presentable. A simple WNG and alittle two strand flat twist is about all I can do. LOL But I rock it and K.I.M. I know eventually it will get longer and I will have more options. In the meantime I am practicing patience for once in my life.

For curls smashing during your sleep, have you tried the Pineapple method that is discussed on YT?

I'm only transitioning, but I am doing a lot of research to see how to cope and handle my natural hair in the future. So, I can only go on what the YT vids say.

YT vid here

There are quite a few more vids out there and some don't even use a band but may use a locsoc (something like that) or just sleep with the pony tail on top of their head.

Forgive me if this was already mentioned above cuz I didn't read all the posts thoroughly.

I get it. My suggestion is to practice the styles you do like to get your technique better. You will get frustrated only trying a style a couple of times the exact same way expecting different results. I made a playlist on Youtube with just styling videos in it. I play those videos when I do my style and follow th instructions exactly. It takes a little longer, but you'll get used to styling and finding the technique that works best. :yep:

Could I have a link to your playlist of style vids? I'm kind of style challenged and I always do the same thing with my hair...any ideas on new things to try are totally welcome.

I have always been style challenged. Its funny what a recession and cutting back on the budget forces you to learn. I haven't mastered a thing BUT, I have learned how to :

- Rollerset
- Twist
- Twist-outs
- Wet puff (on my way to learning how to bun)

But most importantly, I have learned to love my hair. Its never going to be perfect, picture or otherwise. But, a nice compliment and some confidence has allowed me to improve my techniques.

There are tons of ways to learn how to improve your technique, but none of those will help if you don't learn to love the way your hair grows.

i do :( i really really do... i hate braidouts n twist-outs cuz my hair is fine, i dont like the way they come out.... i have always been chanllenged at styling my own hair... this weekend i took down a sew in, my hair mad me so mad...... its getting a lil longer so whn i washed it, it damned near tangled up, i wanted to grab the scissors or grab a perm ugh, luckily i got the tangles out....i was feeling so discouraged.

I'm not good at doing hair. I can't braid and don't have the patience to learn. I do wash and go's. I shingle on a Saturday or Sunday (anyday where I have time for it to dry) and then just slightly run my head under the shower every day after that and shake. It's dry quick and I don't have to do anything or add anything for the entire week. Just rewet and shake. Then the next weekend I wash, dc and re-shingle. My hair is 4a/4b and about 7-8 inches long.

You could look for easy quick natural hairstyles and you already have 2 the bun and a simple braid. The Chinese braid bun is easy and works if your hair is lo g enough. Simple ponytail wash and gos don't have to take forever just finger comb the products though on damp hair like someone posted cuz drying time. Just give yourself time to find some easy styles. Check YouTube that's how I found my staple sytles. Hth

I have major issues w/ styling my hair. For some strange reason when I either do braid-outs or twist-outs they never come out right...the banana clip has become my friend b/c of that. My styling of choice is weaves or wigs b/c it doesn't take long to get ready, my hair is protected and it is so simple. I'm planning in the summer to have my friend braid hair in a mohawk style and rock that for like two weeks.

I seriously came in here to say just that. I love my banana clip. In this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA9eBoVeo3Q this lady wears her hair how I usually wear mines when it's in the clip.

How big is the comb u use to do this?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Long Hair Care Forum App
It's a large detangling comb.

rakeset__99427_zoom.png

Source

I only have 2 favorite hairstyles on me: I love my top knot/high buns (sometimes it's flat twisted or cornrowed) and I love my hair in micros. That's it! (I did do a lot of 2 strand twist styles last year tho.)

I'm not really into any of those styling methods you mentioned either and if you're like me and don't need a lotta variety and you just need your hair to look cute with not a lotta hassle then just pick your two least pain in the :censored: styles and stick with those LOL.

My fave do:

021-1-1.jpg

this is very cute. i might try this. it looks easy too:grin:

Try a flexi rod set...stretch your hair by blowdrying or wearing large twist overnight.
Depending on the length of your hair us small or large flexi rods. My hair is apl..i use grey flexi rods and I make a side part and twist my hair into about 8 or 9 large two-strand twists sometimes less. Then I set my twists on the flexi rods. Idk if i'm explaining it clearly but I love this style and it takes me about 10 mins to set at night and it lasts 2-3 days.

heres a video that shows you what i'm talking about...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra5vuHRZBdU

if i do a hardcore workout or the weather is humid or rainy I do have to re-do this at night because of frizz..but once u get the hang of it it only takes 10 mins to set. And this is the only style for me that turns out perfect everytime I do it..but on the days i'm super tired or lazy i'll put my hair up n a messy bun or side ponytail and i always dress those up with cute headbands..hth

i will look into this. i need to buy more flexi rods.

One thing you are failing to realize is that just because you are natural now does't mean you absolutely have to wear your hair in it's kinky or curly state. If you prefer the ease of straight hair, then press/flat iron it. There's no shame in that.

Sent from my Zio using Long Hair Care Forum App

i realize this quite well although it personally took me a while to understand the concept. the thing is i DO like wearing my hair natural.(regardless of how much i ramble about on how i dont like my hair.:lol:) i just haven't found styles i really like when i wear my hair in its natural state. all of the styles i like do not last. i dont mind doing any of the aforementioned styles if i know im going out or want to look particularly cute for a day or so but i haven't found and easy everyday style and the bun is getting tiered.

For curls smashing during your sleep, have you tried the Pineapple method that is discussed on YT?

I'm only transitioning, but I am doing a lot of research to see how to cope and handle my natural hair in the future. So, I can only go on what the YT vids say.

YT vid here

There are quite a few more vids out there and some don't even use a band but may use a locsoc (something like that) or just sleep with the pony tail on top of their head.

Forgive me if this was already mentioned above cuz I didn't read all the posts thoroughly.

i have tried the pineapple. i found it difficult because when my hair shrinks it shrinks alot to the point where i cant put it in a ponytai lthen it looks all discombobulated when i use more than one ponytail. its been a while(5 ish months) since ive worn my hair curly so when it gets warm again i would like to try using a pocket/braid bonnet

Last edited:
My girls and I have natural hair and I have some difficulty. With one daughter, her hair styles normally last longer when I add extension hair in. When it comes to my older daughter (8), The styles I can do on her well take a long time (individual twists, braid). I like how the minitwists I do on myself come out - but they take forever.
I think it is in the way you approach it. You sould frustrated and I was frustrated as well. I found a stylist to do our hair at a reasonable price. Right now, I am planning for every other month. This past week she did all of our heads in three different styles. It took a total of three hours and she washed all of our heads. She lightly blowdried one of my daughter's, but not the rest of us.
She is now my hair idol. She twisted my hair with cornrows in the front. She twisted my youngest daughter's hair with cornrows in the front. She cornrowed my oldest daughter's hair into a mohawk (ends were twisted). She did all of this in three hours while talking and watching tv. It would have taken me three hours to get one head together and I would have been like :nono:.
She has pretty much inspired me because of her attitude towards natural hair. She made me realize that my attitude had room from improvement. I'm just going to stop looking for perfection when I attempt a style and keep practicing. I am going to have to shoot for completing the style. If it takes forever, it just takes forever. I'm going to go for doing half of the style one day and then the other half the other day or I am going to try to do a little every day. Once I have mastered the technique, I will get faster with more and more practice. I have to put the :grin: back into doing hair. Somehow it became :crying3: and that is not good for me nor the girls.

P.S. get a nice collection of inexpensive hair accessories. They do make simpler styles a lot of fun.

I struggle with styling my natural hair because I never styled my relaxed hair. I used to get it wet wrapped and just go.

Now that I have texture it's challenging. If you're a DIY-er it will be a lot easier for you.

Wonderful thread chock full of great tips! I'm forwarding this to my friend who is transitioning and feeling the temptation to relax! :)

I like the twist and curl/braid and curl. Many times I don't even have to separate it and just fluff it in the morning then I'm good. It last a good week for me.

I just thought about another suggestion...

Fotki has a Fav feature now. Whenever I see a style or tutorial that I want to try, I fave it. It's stored for easy reference. HTH

Back