Who Doesn't Moisturize?? just curious...

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i'm sitting here about to put up my spiral rollerset for bed (it came out sooo cute-wish i had a camera:ohwell:) and i realize that the only product i've used consistenly since wash day on sunday is castor oil massaged on my edges and scalp (i'm in a weave).
i don't moisturize and/or seal. really. :look:
once i started deep conditioning on dry hair with heat, i realized there was no need for it, and believe it or not, my ends are MUCH happier without it.
i only add a bit of moisture on wash day. in fact, this week, i only used some foam wrap, and my hair still feels soft and moisturized.

does anyone else do the same?
just curious...:drunk:

I also don’t regularly moisturize my hair, especially since adding water and oils to my Rusk leave-in conditioner (after DCing, I use porosity control and the leave-in, and finish off with a smidge of my oil mixture). Every blue moon I may use a moisturizer after my weekly wash-condition session, but ever since I conquered my dryness issue and cut back on the frequent co-washing, my need for a moisturizer has lessened.

I also don’t regularly moisturize my hair, especially since adding water and oils to my Rusk leave-in conditioner (after DCing, I use porosity control and the leave-in, and finish off with a smidge of my oil mixture). Every blue moon I may use a moisturizer after my weekly wash-condition session, but ever since I conquered my dryness issue and cut back on the frequent co-washing, my need for a moisturizer has lessened.
i can definitely relate to cutting back on cowashing. i thought that was really adding moisture to my hair, but it really wasn't.

I wish that could work for me. I've only seen that work on women who use conditioner only (no shampoos, leave ins, etc).

MMM....after I wash I add diluted Vo5 and evoo but I don't apply any products to my hair between washes. I wash 1-3 times a week depending on how I or my hair feels.

I don't moisturize. I dc with a plastic cap 1x a week and then co-wash. I add wrapping foam and EVCO, then rollerset.

It sounds like you're asking about water based or creamy type moisturizers. Well it depends on what I'm doing with my hair. Right now it's braided so I do use homemade spritz daily. I don't seal that coz I don't see the point in piling on oil or silicone daily. However if it's straightened (my hair is natural) then all I use is a little oil 2-3x week.

Regular deep conditioning is really the best moisturizer. It definitely gets you more moisture mileage than any daily cream can b/c the ingredients tend to be smaller and more concentrated in good conditioners-- and the heat really helps with maximum penetration into the hair fiber. If you've got a dedicated deep conditioning schedule, you'll find that you won't really need to work in daily moisture as much!

Its almost like a snack vs. the main course. Sure the appetizer will tide you over, but the filet mignon will have you full for longer! :lol:

i can definitely relate to cutting back on cowashing. i thought that was really adding moisture to my hair, but it really wasn't.

Very true. The constant co-washing felt absolutely heavenly during and immediately after the fact, but it fell flat over the long-term. All it seemed to do was further tangle my hair, which did not help matters since my hair exists in a perpetually tangled state, especially the lower 5-7 inches.

Depends on what your definition of moisturizing is. The only thing I do is style my hair with alot of conditioner and tiny bit of KCCC on wash day. When dry, I add a bit of shea butter. Nothing else touches my hair (except maybe a pinch more shea butter and a splash of water) until I wash again (usually 5 -7 days later). I have no problems retaining length and I get very little breakage. I've found that constantly adding more and more product to my hair between washes leads to build-up.

Depends on what your definition of moisturizing is. The only thing I do is style my hair with alot of conditioner and tiny bit of KCCC on wash day. When dry, I add a bit of shea butter. Nothing else touches my hair (except maybe a pinch more shea butter and a splash of water) until I wash again (usually 5 -7 days later). I have no problems retaining length and I get very little breakage. I've found that constantly adding more and more product to my hair between washes leads to build-up.

This is so true. I dont moisturize and seal every day, only on the days that I comb my hair to detangle which is every other day. Last week I started laying off the moisturizer/leave-in and started spritzing with a water/avj mixture and capping it off with a little oil. My hair behaves much better because of this.

Since 2001, when wearing twists or braids (which is usually at least over a year at a time), all I ever do is shampoo, rinse, condition or DC, rinse, ACV rinse, airdry. No leave-in oils, butters, creams, conditioners...nada! Just baggying nightly.

Back