White man cares for African adopted daughter's hair

Kneechay

Have any of you guys read this story? It's pretty cute and touching. After adopting a little Ethiopian girl, a white American professor wanted to be a good dad and learn about Black hair care. Check the story and be sure to look at the the rest of the pictures in the story even though I'll post some.

This quote by him resonated with me: "But her hair was such a strong link to her roots, a past they wanted her always to know and appreciate, they chose to neaten it the way they saw in many African-American families."

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/dekalb/stories/2008/06/14/braids_0615.html

slideshow_594716_braid4.jpg

slideshow_594721_braid8.jpg

slideshow_594720_braid6.jpg

slideshow_594719_braid10.jpg

He hooked those twists up!

It's a heartwarming story.

Last edited:
I think this has been posted twice before and the story itself isn't new, but I always love seeing the pictures.

She is a doll! I'm so happy he took the time to learn her culture, and how to care for her hair. That earned him about 100 billion cool points! He did the dang thang with those twists!

I showed this to my bf before and he was like... :ohwell:

He has said that he would learn 1 or 2 easy styles to fix up our future daughter's hair for emergencies though :)

i love that white man i had a white boyfriend once he would've definitely done this...
i used to coach a bunch of white kids and the mixed ones all had white moms and they used to set them up daily! i hate seein that... I'm like, if you want a black kid you better figure out how to take care of them all the way... including them naps...
i had a mixed friend with a white mom and we used to go on her all the time... i was always doin her thing... poor thing has like 3a hair and gets perms and cuts it into a bob now... all the time... she is never growin that perm out... too scarred... its funny though LOL

She is such a beautiful little girl! I am happy that she now has a father that loves her like his own biological children!:yep: Stories like these are so inspiring!:)

Somebody let Angie know it's possible. He should do a youtube video for whites who think they can't/don't know how/ or won't comb their black chid's hair. (No offense, I like little curly afros, but sometimes the hair looks just a tad too natural.):giggle:

yep read it in ot a last year. i think he is awesome. it made me sad though because there are so many black parents that could do the same, but don't.

Back