Which Product(s) Were RAVED About On LHCF, But Just Didn't Work For You?

BURTS BEES AVACADO PRE POO TREATMENT! I was so excited when I finally found it an Ulta store 20 min away :ohwell: I picked up two tubes and couldn't wait for my next wash. I pre-pooed over night and the next day when I washed it did nothing for me. I tried it again the following week and again I had no "smooth like butter" feeling like alot of others reported. And the worse part it's very hard to smooth into your hair. It has sort of a toothpaste consistency. $16 down the drain

Ok so i know i might get shot for this one but:

bee mines any thing (tried four different products and all it did was piss off my hair)
ecostyler clear gel (defines curls but it either leaves my hair feeling gummy or crispy)

I guess we'll both get shot because I forgot to mention this one. My hair didn't like these products, I really tried. I even clarified my hair and put the products on fresh just to make sure. :nono: I wanted to like them so bad, especially the Luscious moisturizer. :sad:

4a Natural
AO GPB - Did nothing for my hair. :perplexed

These products were not moisturizing enough for my hair. :perplexed:ohwell:
ORS Replenishing Pak
Kenra MC
Hairveda Sitrinilla
Elasta QP DPR-11
Hawaiian Silky 14 and 1

Last edited:
BURTS BEES AVACADO PRE POO TREATMENT! I was so excited when I finally found it an Ulta store 20 min away :ohwell: I picked up two tubes and couldn't wait for my next wash. I pre-pooed over night and the next day when I washed it did nothing for me. I tried it again the following week and again I had no "smooth like butter" feeling like alot of others reported. And the worse part it's very hard to smooth into your hair. It has sort of a toothpaste consistency. $16 down the drain

Yup driving wayyy across town for the stuff is the most disappointing part. I drove waaay across Houston maybe 30 minutes from my home to pick up Qhemet AOHC and paid $23 for it (ugghh the markup) and it didnt even work for me! I had a hard time letting it go too lol

Silicon Mix
Garnier Products (still have 2 huge bottles of condioner in my closet)
Suave :nono:
Victoria Secret so sexy was sexy at all for me

Type 4b

Skala
Lustrasilk cholesterol plus
Silk elements mega silk moisturiser
Kerastase masquintense
Phyto karite
Surge
Hair one jojoba oil
Coconut oil (especially on wet hair)
Keracare humecto

I wished I read this thread before picking up most of these products after reading rave reviews. Perhaps people should disclose their hair types and whether they are relaxed or natural in order for us to put their reviews in the right context.

I'm 4b and relaxed and I will never waste my money again on the following products:
Silicon Mix
Keracare Humecto (in the tube)

BTW, I went through a great deal of effort (and money) to buy Surge, now I'm so disappointed after reading this thread.

ORS and PC did work for me.

3c natural

Don't like

-Cantu Shea Butter - It looks/smells so rich and yumy..like its really gonna do something..after it dries....:nono:

-Scurl/Care Free Curl - Nothing

-Miss Jessie Line - The whole line..:nono:..beyond drying on my 3c and my daughters 3c/4a hair.

Do Like

-Suave Humectant knock off as a leave in.

-Aussie Moist.:drunk:

-Kids Organics Shea Butter Moisture Lotion - Very light, yet moisturizing.

3c/4a here

Miss Jessies - coats the hair and is too heavy

Garnier Fruitis - free is too much to spend on that stuff.

Hi Ladies,
I find that Cant Shea Butter works great as an overnight deep condition treatment/baggying. I wash it out in the mornings and my hair is soft, yet strong. I never leave it on my hair, hate it as a leave-in.

i added castor oil to my leave-in which had worked perfectly well prior to that.
in short - never again. turned my flexi-rod set into an oily stringy mess, and i really hate hair that's oily to touch, reminds me of my vaseline-on-my-head-every-day days. yuck.

afro-textured transitioner

I tried all of the below on my relaxed hair. I'm 4b, with fine fragile strands

Humecto- too much cones, made my hair feel like stretchy plastic and weighed down (I tried the bottle and the tub)

Miss Keys 10en1- Dried out my hair

NTM products- Not horrible, but definitely left my hair with a plastic coated feeling

Scurl- made my hair feel weak, coated, mushy, and just weird

AO honeysuckle rose- Zero slip. Just kinda sat on my hair and didn't do anything

Oh yea, and ORS replenishing pak, didn't do anything at all, I think it made my hair dry

I left out Nexxus and Joico Kpak products, both just gave me hard hair

Ok, i will stop now, I'm sure there's plenty more, my hair is very unique I suppose.

Last edited:
Oh yea i forgot all the garnier fructis conditioners, ORS replenishing ( SUCKED ) and EVERYTHING nexus! ( dry crispy breaking hair )
None of this worked when i was relaxed or natural.

Im so happy im not the only one who a lot of products dont work. I though something was wrong with me.

I wished I read this thread before picking up most of these products after reading rave reviews. Perhaps people should disclose their hair types and whether they are relaxed or natural in order for us to put their reviews in the right context.

I'm 4b and relaxed and I will never waste my money again on the following products:
Silicon Mix
Keracare Humecto (in the tube)

BTW, I went through a great deal of effort (and money) to buy Surge, now I'm so disappointed after reading this thread.

ORS and PC did work for me.

It is a good idea for us to mention what our hair textures are but I think that even when someone has the same hair texture as another, it still may not be a true indicator that a product will work.

For instance I have 4a/b hair and while the regular Silicon Mix didn't work on my hair, my hair just loves Kercare Humecto. :yep:

So you see we have the same texture hair but our hair still acts differently! So I'm thinking that in the end, it still comes down to trial and error and if anything we would do better to use hair texture as a very loose benchmark instead of thinking that works for one texture will work on another person with the same texture. If anything if it doesn't work, I usually just trade with someone else in hopes that it will work for them. That way I break even - which is good for someone like me who can't sem to walk passed a hair aisle without buying something!!! :nono:

Anywho....:grin: That's just my take on things!

Please list product(s) and hair type.

Giovanni Direct Leave-in
Elasta QP Mango Butter

Hair Type 3c/4a?

4a/b here!

What didn't work for me?

That dayum Mizani H2O intensive Night Treatment didn't work!! Plus it had me smelling like an old lady. I almost had men over 60 following me!!!!!:ohwell:

HATED IT!!!:grin:

Not to mention Herbal Essence Hello Hydration - and I'm talkin' both the shampoo and the conditioner! My hair took one inhale of that and acted like it didn't want to talk to me again!!!! :lachen:Interestingly enough HE's LTR Split End Protector worked wonders for me!

Weird huh? Go figure!!

castor oil. I didn't know I was allergic, I DIDN"T KNOW YOU COULD BE! I was never so sick it was awful. I used a steamer and it absorbed in my pores! O M G the memories even make ill. Always do a test patch even on mundane stuff you think could never hurt you. ALWAYS.

If I ever get to make my own PSA that's what it will say. Always do a test patch.

Back