Votes: 3 2.6%
  • 3c

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • 3a-c combo

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • combo of type 3 and 4

Votes: 20 17.5%

• Total voters
Any hair type that uses excessive heat offset by not enough DC. I've seen all types of hair looking rough because of those two things.

:angel: I no longer believe in Andre's hair typing method. :cloud: :angel: Won't you all join me? Enlighten yourselves.... :angel:

i've been told that split ends don't travel all the way up the hair shaft of curly/coily/kinky hair like it does with straight or wavy hair. so even though the "more fragile" hairtypes may be more prone to split ends, the splits usually stop at the first major bend in the hair.

i believe this is true... I can go 6 months without trimming and when i do trim, it's never more than an inch. i have more problems with knots than splits though...

really? that's so interesting. i don't have a problem with split ends at all, but i've just been assuming that it's because hair doesn't stay on my head for long cuz i'm always breaking it off. probably true. but if i do get them, at least there's hope that i won't have to cut my hair off totally or something.

bumping :)
Only 13 people suffer from split ends on the forum :D

Funny; let me chime in right quick! :lachen: I get em all the time; I try to keep the heat to a minimum, and do cornrows and/or twistouts. I also use castor oil on my ends whenever I am wearing it down, and I still get them.

My hair is 4a.

Last edited:
I get them all the time! Last year I used NO heat whatsoever the entire year. I DC'd every other week, moisturized 2x a day my hair was constantly in cornrows and when I did straighten my hair my split ends had split ends! I think its just a fact that I'll have to get used to and just deal with.

I agree with previous posters... has nothing to do with Hair Type
People that use a lot of heat, people that don't do treatments on
their ends, people that don't wear protective styles are the most
prone to split ends... people with braids may experience thin
ends and maybe it could be confused with split ends
I have 3 something hair... haven't had a trim
in 1 Year... my ends are a bit un-even but no split ends...

It has to do with cuticle layers which will vary from hair type to hair type. Also, AA Hair has a flat tip which makes us more prone to split ends compared to other types that have a more round hair tip. Asians have a very round tip and CC hair is inbetween the two extreme.s

All hair types are prone to split ends. I do not think one type is more prone than the other. Getting split ends has nothing to do with hair type...it has everything to do with how you care for your hair. Splits are caused by heat, excessive combing/brushing, overmanipulation, rough handling, hair accessories, dryness, among many other external factors. I know I get splits on my natural hair from overmanipulation. If I left my hair alone like I did before I ever found the hair boards, I wouldn't have any splits.

I didn't vote because ^^^^^^^^ that is totally on point. Hairtype means nothing to split ends - it's ALL about how you treat your hair and what you use in/on it.....I know I get splits because I still haven't switched to all seamfree combs.....

I have really bad split ends. I will trim my hair one day and the next day I have them again. I do not use any heat in my hair. I do deep conditioners and apply moisturizer to my ends. Nothing seems to help. I am starting to wonder if there is something that I am missing in my diet that is making my ends weak. My hair grows but I have to keep cutting it b/c of the split ends. I am very frustrated about it.

It has to do with cuticle layers which will vary from hair type to hair type. Also, AA Hair has a flat tip which makes us more prone to split ends compared to other types that have a more round hair tip. Asians have a very round tip and CC hair is inbetween the two extreme.s

I agree with this.

I am a 4a/b mix. And I don't get splits so I didn't vote.

I take care of my hair and avoid heat usage.

I kinda don't think (in the long run) it has anything to do with hair type. I know white girls with type 1 hair that got splits all the way up to heaven and vice versa. If you take care of your hair it will take care of you.

But it is a fact that the curlier the texture the weaker it is. So knowing that, you have to tak extra care of your hair. But that's my stance.

ITA and I didn't vote.

I get split ends, middles, etc. all the time. And I don't handle my hair roughly or style it all the time and I rarely use heat. I sleep on/with satin on my head, DC regularly and anything else you could think of. Maybe trimming more would help. I don't know. Or maybe it's just something my hair is prone too. B/C my cousin hair is the same type (coarse) as mine and she really does have split ends to me. And I do her hair. Go figure!

Back