Where R My Florida Naturals At?

Naturae

I am moving to the Orlando area at the end of next month which I am extremely exited about!:grin: But I have no clue what I am up against when it comes to BSS, LHCF meet-ups, and year round weather as it associates to our natural hair. Can any of my Floridian sisters help?

I can't say much about the Orlando area because I live in Tampa Bay, but as far as weather goes, heat and humidity are murder!

^^ditto. my only advise is don't attempt to flat iron, it's a waste of time and effort. As far as BSS go there are plenty. There are a lot of Indian stores and salons and plenty of health food stores as well.

I'm pretty active. I hike, swim in the springs, lakes, rivers, and oceans so low maintenance styles work best for me...this usually means braids.

^^ditto. my only advise is don't attempt to flat iron, it's a waste of time and effort. As far as BSS go there are plenty. There are a lot of Indian stores and salons and plenty of health food stores as well.

I'm pretty active. I hike, swim in the springs, lakes, rivers, and oceans so low maintenance styles work best for me...this usually means braids.

This helps me a LOT. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to worry about finding a BSS. I was also concerned about flat ironing. Once my heat challenge is over, I planned on investing in a Maxiglide XP. I thought it would kind of work along side the humidity (lol) - bad idea??

:perplexed

If you are trying to wear your hair out and down, then wait until maybe January-March to straighten your hair.

I straightened it last week, but I did it mostly for a length check and I just wore my hair in brench braid or buns, until it finally reverted on me. Damn that rain. Oh and that was with a maxiglide, which I think contributed to it not reverted on day one. I got 4 days out of it. Not bad in my book. But of course straigten at your own risk.

This helps me a LOT. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to worry about finding a BSS. I was also concerned about flat ironing. Once my heat challenge is over, I planned on investing in a Maxiglide XP. I thought it would kind of work along side the humidity (lol) - bad idea??

:lachen: that cracked me up for some reason. I don't know about the rest of Florida, but when I went visiting Miami beach recently, i felt like an exotic bird. People kept starring at my hair (it was in a regular old bunny tail). I finally looked around and realized that I was probably the only person there with hair that had muscle power :lachen: i saw only one other girl that had my type of hair and when we saw each other, we both grinned so broadly you would have thought we knew each other

ETA: this doesn't answer your question but i figured i'll share my experience anyway :)

I'm in Miami and I agree on the no flat-iron rule during summer, I had to learn the hard way. My texture is soft and spongy and won't hold a curl overnight no matter what I put in (gel etc.) so I mostly do the curl and smooth method every morning to get the curl definition I want. http://www.tightlycurly.com/technique/curlyprimer/

I've also attached photos of styles I've been using this summer.

Attachments

• ronanat1.jpg
    ronanat1.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 20
  • ronanat2.jpg
    ronanat2.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 24
  • ronanat3.jpg
    ronanat3.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 20
  • ronanat4.jpg
    ronanat4.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 21
Humidity is the devil in Florida...And ive heard that Orlando has some good BSS. I would only press hair when it is cool out.

OH MY! I learned the hardway as well! I went to Miami on vacation two months ago coming from the Windy city with freshly flat ironed hair!
Yeah right! My hair met that humity and frizzed up like a bush! Wore the wash and go for the rest of the vacation! LOVES IT!

Jacksonville here!:woot: I'm newly natural and my advice is to not even worry about flatironing until the end of the year.:look:

I'm in Tallahassee but I used to live in Orlando for a few years. They have this HUGE BSS. It used to be an old Publix. They have a 5lb container of EcoStyler for $8.99!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w6SzFvRNjI

And the humidity is definitely a killer to straight hair styles. Sabino was the only thing that was very effective against reversion. Still, I would wait until it cools down a little bit to straighten. I hope that helped!

I'm newly natural and I live in North Florida, I just wanted to check in. I wear half wigs so I don't have to deal with the humidity

Northwest Florida checking in.....My office is on Panama City Beach and I get a blast of humidity everyday going and coming. Humidity is NEVER under 90% DAILY.

I'm natural and wouldn't dare think about flat-ironing my hair. What's the point?? LOL....So, seemingly, all over the state of Florida we live with humidity 'cept for maybe 3 or 4 months of the year. And if we can catch those days (maybe 50% - 60% humidity), straight hair is a sight to behold!

I'm in Miami and I agree on the no flat-iron rule during summer, I had to learn the hard way. My texture is soft and spongy and won't hold a curl overnight no matter what I put in (gel etc.) so I mostly do the curl and smooth method every morning to get the curl definition I want. http://www.tightlycurly.com/technique/curlyprimer/

I've also attached photos of styles I've been using this summer.
That link was helpful thank you ronalisa. I haven't tried using regular conditioner... i need to buy another denman brush, my sister used it on her glue in weave. :perplexed

I have a maxiglide. I used it a lot when I first got it but I don't even bother now. Dominican blowouts are the only thing that get my hair straight and keeps it straight but I can't do that often. My lil sis does them monthly and her last blowout reverted after a day and a half. That fool was walking around in a satin bonnet and errythang. :lachen::lachen::lachen:

It's just not worth the hassle. Flat iron in cooler months. I can't tell you when bc weather is literally a toss up. It might be 45 degrees one day and 85 the next...then comes the downpours. You really have to play by ear.

I've been here all my life with the exception of 10 or so years here and there. I'm just starting to appreciate what Orlando has to offer. Enjoy it! (I figure this is my last year b4 I move up north for good).

:lachen: that cracked me up for some reason. I don't know about the rest of Florida, but when I went visiting Miami beach recently, i felt like an exotic bird. People kept starring at my hair (it was in a regular old bunny tail). I finally looked around and realized that I was probably the only person there with hair that had muscle power :lachen: i saw only one other girl that had my type of hair and when we saw each other, we both grinned so broadly you would have thought we knew each other

ETA: this doesn't answer your question but i figured i'll share my experience anyway :)

:lachen: Thanks for sharing that made my day!

When you get down here to Orlando you MUST go to the big BSS located on Silver Star Rd and Hiawassee Rd.

Its called Beauty Depot....i'm not natural but my sister is and both of us love that store til death do us part!!:laugh::yep:

When you get down here to Orlando you MUST go to the big BSS located on Silver Star Rd and Hiawassee Rd.

Its called Beauty Depot....i'm not natural but my sister is and both of us love that store til death do us part!!:laugh::yep:

*Googling the address now so I can put it in my GPS * :yep:
I'm going to remember to make that one of my first stops when we finally unpack. I'm more exited about seeing ths BSS that you guys keep raving about more than I am about the actual move! :lachen:

I'm in Florida and the humidity is no joke, but my hair likes it. It seems to be much softer, but you can't hold a style. :wallbash:

Back