Starting Over with My Natural Hair :-/

Ohhh I like!!!!! I am oohing and ahhing right now! I like the shape, it is less of the inverted triangle now which is what I have, lol! You can really see the coils in your hair. I know you state that your hair is another shape, but I definitely see plenty of coils as well. A great cut is a great cut regardless if your curls are tight or loose. You are tempting me. I don't want to lose any length right now but I think I might go for it by the summer. Thanks for providing the website for locations. There are actuall two salons specializing in the Deva Curl method in my neighborhood. Looks like you are definitely on the right track :)

@nurseN98 - No, I haven't tried curlformers. I've seen people use them and how they have to latch their hair onto a hook and pull the section through the curlformer... I'm afraid to use them on my hair texture. My texture is not in the type 2A-3C range. My hair texture are very tightly coiled like the metal spring inside of a pen. If I want curls, I will stick with either rollers, flexirods, or permrods.

I just wanted to put any fears you may have about using curlformers to rest....my hair is also tightly coiled 4b, mostly fine strands. I was very skeptical that they could get my hair as straight as some of the pics of other heads I'd seen, but I was totally wrong- they worked like magic! My hair somehow got nearly as straight as with flat ironing, with no heat at all! They're one of those products you really do have to try and see to believe.

Your new hair cut looks adorable, and your hair looks so healthy! Good luck on your new journey, and keep us all posted on your progress :)

I just wanted to put any fears you may have about using curlformers to rest....my hair is also tightly coiled 4b, mostly fine strands. I was very skeptical that they could get my hair as straight as some of the pics of other heads I'd seen, but I was totally wrong- they worked like magic! My hair somehow got nearly as straight as with flat ironing, with no heat at all! They're one of those products you really do have to try and see to believe.

Your new hair cut looks adorable, and your hair looks so healthy! Good luck on your new journey, and keep us all posted on your progress :)

Thanks bride91501

I just may have to try them one day whenever I get a chance to go to Sally's to get some. What product(s) do you use before putting your hair in curlformers? And is your hair wet, damp, or dry beforehand?

Poohbear,

I'm not sure if you posted this already, but how often do you trim/dust your hair and use protein? Do you let your hair shrink a lot vs keeping it stretched?

Poohbear,

I'm not sure if you posted this already, but how often do you trim/dust your hair and use protein? Do you let your hair shrink a lot vs keeping it stretched?

lushcoils

The last time I had an actual trim at a salon was March 2011. Since then, I would do random "search and destroy" sessions if I see split strands I would cut them off.

Before last year, I never used protein. Last year, I decided to give Aphogee 2-min Keratin Reconstructor a try. I only used this once a month after washing my hair in the shower. It helped stopped breakage. It's all gone so I no longer use it anymore.

I keep my hair stretched most of the time. I usually wear twistouts and occasionally wore my hair in twists, in a bun, or straightened. The only time my hair would shrink up is after washing it.

I'm going to start washing my hair in twists consistently and not let my hair shrink up anymore when wet. I'm also going to start conditioning my hair more. I hardly ever deep conditioned my hair. I always thought using a conditioner as a leave-in was sufficient enough for my hair. But the conditioner I was using had cones which would dry out my hair overtime.

You look great!! I love the cut and you still have a decent amount of hair to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I like it Poo! Do you feel good about it?

In other news: YOUR CHEEEKBOOONNEEESSS!!!! *drooling smiley* damn girl!!!

Poohbear i know that you dont usually wear your hair out coily like that (i dont either) but that cut and your hair look gorgeous! I've used that deva gel before too and it looked good but made it dryer than usual. Anywho pay attention to your ends while using that curlygirl method. When i tried it i had more ssks & knots but i didnt seal with anything heavy.... Maybe that would have made a difference? Good luck to you!:)

@lushcoils

The last time I had an actual trim at a salon was March 2011. Since then, I would do random "search and destroy" sessions if I see split strands I would cut them off.

Before last year, I never used protein. Last year, I decided to give Aphogee 2-min Keratin Reconstructor a try. I only used this once a month after washing my hair in the shower. It helped stopped breakage. It's all gone so I no longer use it anymore.

I keep my hair stretched most of the time. I usually wear twistouts and occasionally wore my hair in twists, in a bun, or straightened. The only time my hair would shrink up is after washing it.

I'm going to start washing my hair in twists consistently and not let my hair shrink up anymore when wet. I'm also going to start conditioning my hair more. I hardly ever deep conditioned my hair. I always thought using a conditioner as a leave-in was sufficient enough for my hair. But the conditioner I was using had cones which would dry out my hair overtime.

@Poohbear

Have you read through the fine hair type 4 natural hair thread yet? I think it has valuable tips. A lot of us type 4 fine hair nappies have to protective style at least 80% of the time, dust/trim every 2-4 months, use a mild protein weekly (or even daily), deep condition weekly, keep our hair stretched while washing/sleeping, limit heat/combing, and moisture and seal often to retain length.

(Basically ignore the advice of coarse haired and/or type 3 hair members who state that hair can grow without trimming, deep conditioning, protective styling...). Um, for most of us fine type 4 naturals, we can't do that if we are trying to grow and retain some hair. :look:

I definitely think incorporating more regular dusting, deep conditioning, moisture/seal, protective styling, keeping it stretched, and less heat (and maybe more protein) will get you past APL.

Good luck and keep us informed. I've never been past CL (this is the longest my hair has been, and I think I got this way mostly from using the "fine hair/type 4 hair" method as I like to call it. So I will be interested in seeing how your hair does with this new method. And if I can reach APL and beyond of course.lol

Hey thanks for the tag! I loooooove it! You are just too cute! And of course it's something to ooh and aah over! You get two thumbs up from me! :up::up:

Thanks @bride91501

I just may have to try them one day whenever I get a chance to go to Sally's to get some. What product(s) do you use before putting your hair in curlformers? And is your hair wet, damp, or dry beforehand?

Poohbear & Victoria44

I've done them on my hair once, my dd's hair (mostly 4b) twice, and my sister's hair (mostly 4a, some 4b) once. We all have very tight, kinky textures.

After washing, DC'ing and detangling really well (this is key), I applied my regular SheaMoisture Restorative Conditioner moisturizer, and any serum I have laying around mostly to the ends. Your hair's supposed to be dripping wet when you put the curlformers in (I forget why lol), so I also have a spray bottle near me to re-wet the sections that got dry before I got to them.

I'm not sure how many I used, but I did use most of the medium sized ones on my head, but not so many on my sister's head b/c her hair is lower density than mine. On my dd, who has enough hair for 3 people lol, I used the entire multi-pack and I had to make some of the sections in the back a bit larger because I was running out of curlformers. So, it definitely depends on how dense your hair is.

***ETA: I forgot to add that I use a foam/wrap type of lotion to set the hair after I apply my leave-in. It's called something Moroccan Argan Oil - I can't remeber the full name :) I use that one b/c the ingredients didn't look too bad as far as setting loans go, and it doesn't leave the hair crunchy and stiff.**

Here are 2 pics of my sister's hair- this was my first time! :grin: HTH

IMG_20110825_221115.jpg

IMG_20110825_221127.jpg

Last edited:
your hair looks gorgeous Poohbear! I wish you luck on your journey. I think our hair is very similar-fine and coily. i will be watching your progress.

It's good you identified the problems. Keep monitoring and take progress pics. You should see a turn around soon!

^^ this is the real magical thing about culformers...you'll get those results with OR without a hooded dryer :yep:

I don't remember if I used one on my sister...probably, b/c it was my first time. Her hair low-medium density and is very fine (and maybe her porosity's off too?), so her hair NEVER takes long to dry. If she did sit under the dryer, it couldn't have been more than 45 minutes-1 hour at most.

I used a dryer when I did my dd's hair the first time, and she was under there for 2-3 hours PLUS she went to sleep in them. Her hair can take DAYS to dry without help. The second time, she just air dried for 1.5 days and we got the same smooth results.

Culformers really are the PERFECT solution IMO for someone who prefers straight hair without the risk of heat damage. The only drawback is the learning curve, but once you get the hang of putting them in, it doesn't even feel like work anymore.

HTH

I also have decided to eliminate silicones from my Reggie. I believe that the silicones were coating my hair and not allowing me to properly moisturizer my hair. I've decided to not repurchase any silicone products and only use silicones when I'm straightening my hair, as an extra form of heat protectant.

Thanks for posting these poohbear!! its great to see a devacut on a coily girl and i appreciate your honestly :yep:

Hey Poohbear! It's funny how we share quite a few similarities.
I bc around late 2004, recently chopped of my hair in early march mainly to get a better shape and better ends and have been following a strict regime of finger detangling solely for over a year. If there is one practice I can advocate greatly for our hair type then it is finger detangling and frequent moisture. Your coils will pop like crazy and your hair will thrive.

Lovely coils Poohbear! Good thing you've figured out what works and doesn't work for your hair. You are equipped with much more knowledge and that will be extremely beneficial as you go forward. Please keep us posted on how the CG method works for you. I've been a modified CG for a while now, although a few random bouts with PJism :blush: have kept me from fully committing.

Back