WHERE / HOW to meet a man??? Hoe did you meet yours?

Natasha009

**Not for myself** BUT I'm trying to help my sister find a bf and she's open to ALL suggestions (online sites, places to go, things to join, etc). So please suggest something.

I also think this would be a good thread for people WITH a man to post specific where and/or how they met there man or even lots of men to help the other single people on here. Or even how there friends met a man lol. I searched this forum, found NOTHING, so....

I'll start. I met my fiancee at club 125, but now it's called Recess in Philadelphia after my friend introduced us. There is ALOT of single European men there which I didn't know at the time - but it's one of the few place that play techno and so that's where alot of them go.

My good friend also meet his fiancee doing speed dating. He's a beautiful, intelligent, nice, sexy, strong black man and his fiancee is also black. He lives in Atlanta.

I think its best to meet someone in a place where you are expressing/experiencing your interests, not a place designed specifically for finding a date. Places like a genealogy class or college course, church, the gym, etc. are good. I wouldn't recommend bars, clubs, etc. That way you meet like-minded men and the experience can be more organic and not so pressured. Even online meet-ups would be good, but one focused on something like fishing or political organizing not dating specifically.

I met my husband in high school. We were close friends before dating. I can't imagine meeting someone and instantly deciding whether to become romantically involved without discovering the basics about a possible friendship first. Just my personal opinion, although I know "dating" environments are more popular.

The Army worked for me though that was not my initial intent:lol: The men outnumber the women and guys from all races expressed an interest in me. The military puts the odds in a girl's favor because instead of guys having the pick of the litter, they have to compete for your attention. Again not saying join the Army to get a man but if she's looking for a career change...:look::lol:

Hell just being out and about. Get out and mingle with folks. Networking events, social events, outdoor concerts, meetup.com(great for meeting all sorts of folks geared to your own interests). There's a wealth of information here regarding this topic.

I think just being outside, anywhere really. I sometimes put pressure on myself to go out more, and I am trying, but realistically speaking, I can technically meet a dude anywhere. I can meet him in Target, when I'm shopping, probably basically anywhere. I do believe tho, that you def have to be out and about much more to up your chances of meeting someone, you can even take it a step further by starting to go out more, go to lounges, events, etc - basically anywhere where men are.

It's funny, a friend fr HS sent me a FB invite that she has having a singles mixer... I was all amped to go, thinking, maybe I'd at least see someone. I get to the place, it was a empty flop, I was sorely disappointed. Hardly anyone showed up, and the few that did, was just not my cup of tea. As I sat down, I looked infront of me, I noticed "heyyy, the dj looks like my type, he's a cutie"... I walked over to him and we started chatting. That just went to show me that you can meet someone maybe not under the circumstances you'd expect, but the more you are 'out', i.e. out your house or hangout, the more you up your chances of meeting someone.

As someone else stated...just being outside I've met my past boyfriend and current boyfriend. Never leave the house looking a mess...you never know who you might run into. And SMILE...don't walk around with a frown...who wants to approach Ms. Meanie. And don't dress too "revealing"...As I always say..."hoeish clothing attracts hoeish men". And wear some lip gloss...men like shiny things...lol.

lol @ shiny things

Natasha I'm in Philly...never heard of recess.

Well I would say you can meet men anywhere. You have to think of things you like in a man and go to places where that type of guy would go. A reader...a bookstore...a buff bod...the gym....into poetry...spoken word events, etc.

I myself haven't been out that much but it's only because most of the time is an epic fail. I've gone to networking events but the people there seem to into themselves and stay in cliques. I'm like where is the real networking? I even met a guy going to a job interview a few weeks ago, he has called me once but haven't heard back, he sayin he doin overtime at two jobs. I personally think goin to little known foodie places...you meet the most interesting mix of people there. Maybe I should practice what I preach eh? LMAO

Go to Home Depot/Lowes. You usually can't get through the door without a man approaching you. And not just handy man types. Alot of professional guys picking up LED lights and hardwood floors samples are there, too.

I can't imagine meeting someone and instantly deciding whether to become romantically involved without discovering the basics about a possible friendship first. Just my personal opinion, although I know "dating" environments are more popular.
Amen!! Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. School's a good place if she still a student. I'd say bookstores (if she likes to read), the mall, any place that represents something she's interested in.

You can meet men anywhere, but not all places are created equal. You have to know you're strengths when it comes to attracting men. I know for myself, my conversational skills set me apart from most women. I tend to stay away from environments where a woman's looks are the primary factor in being approached and frequent places that are conducive to good conversation. I would recommend that most women do themselves a favor and stay away from highly charged, competitive atmospheres where men are the hot commodities. The men in those environments tend to get an over inflated sense of their worth and the women seem to forget theirs altogether. It all depends on the type of setting in which YOU thrive. Figure it out and then work that circuit.

OP, tell your Sis to join the board and look at the LHCF love connection thread. There was one smooth, good-looking, dark man on there that made my eyes happy :)

If she has friends that are in relationships/married perhaps they can set her up on dates.

She needs to get out of the house: park, movies, library, beach, mall, happy hour, brunch at a fancy hotel, etc.

The weird thing is though, IMO, is when she's searching she may not find that someone but he'll appear when meeting a man is the last thing on her mind - That's what happens to me.

Last edited:
Out of all places online, Craigslist. I got a quantity of responses and most were very low quality. I managed to find a gem though. :)

Last edited:
I met my hubby online on a site called Hi5 ( I dunno how I even found/joined that site but I DEF wasnt looking for a relationship ) :heart2:

- Quit travelling in "coochie cliques" (thats a big group of girls - those are intimidating to men).
- Do things the type of men you're trying to attract tend to do. If you're tired of meeting bums, quit going to Freaknik.
- Consider every time you step out the house an opportunity to meet someone. No more walking out the house in scarves, curlers etc. You don't have to be primped, but you can still be cute in some gym clothes. :yep: Wine tastings. Live music events at small venues. Cooking classes. Street festivals and music fairs. The car wash LOL.
- Check out www.meetup.com. Join some groups that you find interesting.
- Go online. There are a LOT of eligible men online (there are also a lot of nutjobs). Be discerning and don't be shy. I figure online, you can be a little more "forward" than usual, and have nothing to lose.

To answer your questions
- I met the DID at a game night (drinks + dj + board games)
- We met again at a live music show (I wouldn't call it a concert because the venue was tiny). I was by myself and he was by himself.

I met my hubby at the laundromat. We dated for two years and just celebrated our 18th wedding anniversary in March.:dinner:

I've actually never had a relationship at work, but I always meet really cool guys in the workplace that I would consider if I weren't already in a relationship.

Actually, I met my husband when I was at work, but he only worked in the same building not at my place of employment.

I think you can tell a lot about a person that you meet at work because you are able to see and talk to them everyday without any pressure. Only thing is you'd have to be really sure about the guy. If it ends badly and you guys work together, it might not be an easy situation to be in.

I also have met guys through mutual friends which is an excellent way as well. A true friend knows you and would have a good idea as to your type.

Back