When you say HEAT DAMAGE???

curly2shoez

Is heat damage strickly from pressing, flat ironning, blow drying, and/or using a hair dryer???

Unfortunately I don't know all there is to know about hair and heat damage other than staying as far away as I can. However, recently I have been going to the gym daily and sitting in the sauna for an hour. It's 180 degrees in there so I don't have to tell u how hot that is lol... My current ps is individual braids that stays in a high bun so there's very little manipulation unless my hair is down for me to oil my scalp. Since being in the sauna I've notice my scalp is a lot dryer, however my new growth still feels soft. I want to make sure my hair isn't in any kind of danger from the high heat, so any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

If anyone have any suggestions on how to prep my hair to help protect it please help a sista... Sorry so long and definitely thanks in advance....

IMHO heat damage is from use of direct heat (blow dryers, flat irons, hot combs and the like). Sitting in a sauna or under a hooded dryer doesn't count as direct heat, so you should be good to go :).

You can always baggy in the sauna and get a nice steam treatment for your hair and scalp. But I agree that you won't get any heat damage from sitting in the sauna. You can try oiling your scalp if it feels too dry after, exfoliating it or use a dry shampoo, do a cowash or hot oil treatment for it may also be the salt from the sweat that is making your scalp dry.

I think heat damage can come from any heat source that hair is exposed to. For example, our hair can get damaged from the sun. I am absolutely in love with my hood dryer, but I had to ease up on my use of it because I think it was causing excessive dryness in the crown/top area of my hair.

I don't like saunas because they make me get dehydrated, but I don't know how they affect hair...

When I go to hot yoga, I use oil on my hair. However, there is no heat damage because the heat is not in direct contact with my hair the way the sun, blow dryer or a flat iron would be.

I think heat damage can come from any heat source that hair is exposed to. For example, our hair can get damaged from the sun. I am absolutely in love with my hood dryer, but I had to ease up on my use of it because I think it was causing excessive dryness in the crown/top area of my hair.

I don't like saunas because they make me get dehydrated, but I don't know how they affect hair...

Because I define heat damage as excessive use of heat styling products with symptoms like straight, stringy, thining or breaking hair or ends, I don't believe heat from the sun manifests the same way. In the case of too much sun exposure, the type of damage one may consider shows up via a change in hair color...if you consider that damaging.

I never thought about whether that type of change to the hair structure is in fact damaging...
>>>>>>>Google!

If you're worried about your hair you can apply some conditioner in it after your workout and then keep your hair in twists. For a dry scalp, use your favourite oil and coat it to keep it lubricated. I would use a thick conditioner to avoid dripping but keep a little cloth handy to wipe off any excess. I would think it would be a good treatment for your hair in the sauna too. :yep: Hope that helps.

Direct heat is not the only way to damage your hair. As Solitude said, you can also damage your hair from exposure to the sun. I would be careful. Maybe wrap your hair up in a turban or a shower cap or something as some kind of protective barrier and maybe stay for like 15 minutes or something like that....just keep an eye on your hair...

I agree with Solitude - here's an article on UV damage from About.com. When the sun is really strong, I really pack the moisture on that day.

UV Protection
It's Not Just for Skin Anymore!
By Kendra Aarhus, About.com Guide

Photo by Kraig Scarbinsky/Getty Images
We're all aware of the risks we face by exposing our skin to the sun's rays. While skin cancer isn't a concern for your hair, the sun can damage your hair with prolonged exposure. UVA and UVB rays have the power to damage the hair from the cuticle to the inner structure of the hair.

Signs of sun damage to your hair can include:

Faded hair color.

Dry, brittle hair1.

Broken or split ends.

Frizzy hair.

Weakened and thinning hair.
If your plans include lots of fun in the sun, consider protecting your hair from the damage of UV rays with these tips.

Hat's Off!
Actually, keep the hat on! The best way to protect your hair from the sun's rays is to block the exposure to the sun. Whether you decide to put on a baseball cap or don a wide brimmed beauty, most hats provide 100% protection from the sun's rays. Of course, if portions of your hair hang out of the hat, you'll want to protect that in other ways!

UV Protection Shampoos & Conditioners
While I think the idea of shampoos and conditioners with SPF are pretty great, in reality they just aren't the best option. Anything that you rinse off your hair can not leave behind enough SPF to protect your hair from the sun.

Protect with Style
Many styling aids, leave in conditioners, and hair sprays have an SPF right in them! While I've heard varying options on how high the SPF should be for your hair, it seems that the general consensus is to use an SPF of 10-15 in hair products, with SPF 12 being a very popular choice by many hair product manufacturers.

Crafty? Make Your Own SPF!
Making UV protection for your hair is pretty easy too! Simply dilute 2 teaspoons of SPF 25 sun block down with one cup of water. Using a spray bottle, spray the product into your damp hair before styling. For additional protection, you can mist the solution on throughout the day.

Don't Forget These Final Tips
Half the battle of protecting your hair from the sun happens when you're not even in the sun!

Clarify! If you're using a UV protection in your hair, don't forget to use a clarifying shampoo2 once a week. SPF will build up on your hair shaft and a clarifying shampoo can remedy that. For lots of build up, try a super clarifying treatment3.

Protect Your Part! Use full strength SPF directly on your scalp where you part your hair. The scalp's direct exposure to the sun in that manner can burn and peel! Hit your ears with the sunscreen as well!

Maintain Moisture! Weekly deep conditioning treatments4 will help keep the damage by the sun at a minimum. Because the sun breaks down the hair's protein (keratin) its important to use a deep conditioning treatment with protein or keratin5.

Just Say NO!... to alcohol, peroxide, lemon juice, and "sun activated hair lightening" products. Check the labels and stay away from hair products that contain high levels of alcohol or peroxide. And please, do not try to lighten your hair using lemon juice or other sun activated hair lightening products. These products will cause your hair to dry out faster and will speed the process of damage caused by the sun.

You can always baggy in the sauna and get a nice steam treatment for your hair and scalp. But I agree that you won't get any heat damage from sitting in the sauna. You can try oiling your scalp if it feels too dry after, exfoliating it or use a dry shampoo, do a cowash or hot oil treatment for it may also be the salt from the sweat that is making your scalp dry.

If I am going to have a long session in the sauna, sometimes I will put water on my hair between breaks.

I heard Olive Oil is considered a natural SPF but heat from sauna and heat from UV rays are two different things.

I heard Olive Oil is considered a natural SPF but heat from sauna and heat from UV rays are two different things.

True. I wasn't trying to directly compare the two, just to say that heat damage can come from sources other than direct heat styling appliances.

Everyone made excellent points.

Thanks everyone for your imput... I would hate to completely give up my sauna time... Today I sprayed my scalp with a mixture of water, castor oil, and my africas best herbal oil, then covered my hair with two plastic hair caps... Next time I'll add a lil conditioner to my mixture... It's really hard to tell what's going on with my hair since I'm in braids... Time will tell though... Thanks for everyones help...

Omg me too, it's gorgeous. :yep: Colors & brands please? :look:

Thanks lady... *blush blush* I posted everything I used in detail in the fotd forum. But what I used was the nyx jumbo purple pencil, Sallys girl purple eyeshadow, my 120 eyeshadow palette, and HiP sassy 208 as a high light...

I'm not sure you can get the steaming effect from a sauna because saunas are designed in a way to keep humidity as low as possible. This may explain why the OP is experiencing dry scalp. On the contrary, steam rooms/steam baths are designed with high humidity, hence the OP can benefit from a steaming effect.

The sun is harmful because of UV rays, not because of heat ( though with the sun both things come together)

In general a good rule of thumb is if it would damage your skin it will damage your hair.

Curling Iron Skin= Bad idea
Curling Iron on Hair= Bad idea

UV rays on Skin= Bad in excess
UV rays on Hair= Bad in excess

Hot Steamy Room re: skin= OK (will not DAMAGE the skin organ)
Hot Steamy Room on Hair= OK

Back