When you and your SO / FH moved in together....

You guys need to get your own place better for all the "parties" involved .
speaking from experience.

Natasha, I recall your sister being physically disabled and requiring a wheelchair. I'm not sure how severe her impairment is but I commend you for stepping up and being her caretaker.

I know people who have lived in wheelchairs and do very well in life - not necessarily living alone -but married or living with parents. I just wanted to know if you and your fiance plan to be caretakers for your sister indefinitely. Again it is commendable but a huge responsibility that many people would not undertake in the beginning stages of a marriage.

To answer your original question: My SO/FH and I have not moved in yet but we will start fresh in a new place.

Last edited:
This isn't my disabled sister, it's my twin sister. We have a 3 bedroom bi-level apartment with 2 bathrooms (one bedroom is our office), so space isn't going to be a problem and I know my sister and fiancee would NEVER even THINK about each other like that.

He comes and stays with us already so they don't have to get used to each other being around, boundaries are set and in place. Me and him have discussed this arrangement (among others) and he has no problem with it. We discussed living apart even after marriage and that was a solid plan, until we realized that we didn't really WANT to be apart much longer. Our original was to move to Germany and start having a house built there, but I own a business and need to be here for about the next 2 years. He can take 2 years off from his business (it's a family business).

If we decide to stay here longer and buy a house, then my sister is welcome to come with me.

I'm not really concerned by other women so I don't think the sister would be a problem unless OP picked the wrong man. The problem is no space. My FH and I are moving to our own place after marriage. I think starting out you should be on your own without others intruding if possible.

This isn't my disabled sister, it's my twin sister. We have a 3 bedroom bi-level apartment with 2 bathrooms (one bedroom is our office), so space isn't going to be a problem and I know my sister and fiancee would NEVER even THINK about each other like that.

He comes and stays with us already so they don't have to get used to each other being around, boundaries are set and in place. Me and him have discussed this arrangement (among others) and he has no problem with it. We discussed living apart even after marriage and that was a solid plan, until we realized that we didn't really WANT to be apart much longer. Our original was to move to Germany and start having a house built there, but I own a business and need to be here for about the next 2 years. He can take 2 years off from his business (it's a family business).

If we decide to stay here longer and buy a house, then my sister is welcome to come with me.

what i get from your posts is that you're not really about following societal standards, and hey, if that works for you, then cool.... but exactly when do you plan to cut the ties?.... what if, heaven forbid, your sister never gets into a relationship of her own... would she stay with you and your husband (and presumably, future children) forever?....

what you're ultimately describing sounds more like a group of college roommates instead of an engaged (and then later, married) couple...

Back