When is it ok to wear hair down?

Candycane044

I know a lot of people believe in order to retain length you need protective styles etc. But after you've passed the "danger zone" (which is shoulder length) is it ok to wear your hear down frequently or is it better not to?

As a habit, my hair is usually up. However, in warmer weather, I feel better about wearing my hair down because it rubs against my skin and not my cotton shirt. Sucks though, because sometimes thats the weather when your hair needs to be UP!

However, any other season, I wear my hair down whenever I feel like it. Since I don't do it daily, I figure a day here and there won't kill me.

HTH

daviine said:
As a habit, my hair is usually up. However, in warmer weather, I feel better about wearing my hair down because it rubs against my skin and not my cotton shirt. Sucks though, because sometimes thats the weather when your hair needs to be UP!

However, any other season, I wear my hair down whenever I feel like it. Since I don't do it daily, I figure a day here and there won't kill me.

HTH
OT: Daviine, your hair is absolutely gorgeous! Do you have all one length? If you don't have your regimen posted, would you mind putting it somewhere? I'm in awe!

I think it depends on the strength and texture of your hair. For me, I love wearing my hair down but throughout the day it still snags on my clothing and I find myself fighting split ends and breakage in the middle. I think it differs for other people. Some women on the board have long hair, have maintained it, and never wear it in a protective style.

Candycane044 said:
I know a lot of people believe in order to retain length you need protective styles etc. But after you've passed the "danger zone" (which is shoulder length) is it ok to wear your hear down frequently or is it better not to?

Now....if my hair ever gets longer, I dunno what I will do in the summer....maybe wear backless shirts? :lol:

Thank you for the compliment! :kiss:

I did a little "cutting" and "pasting" from PMs and here is what I consider to be my "regime":

I have two salons. One for perms and the other for wash and sets. The stylist that perms my hair uses Creme of Nature mild or Designer's Touch Texturizing Relaxer. To tell you the truth, I really don't know how she determines which one to use--I'm kinda scared to ask. The last time she permed my hair, she used Creme of Nature Regular--when I asked her why she said something about requiring a stronger relaxer in the summer......I dunno.....since my hair hasn't fallen out....I leave her alone although I really do wonder.

(I must add that I have some NG already (about 5 wks post-relaxer) so I'm hoping that my hair is just growing fast and not that its underprocessed! I dunno?)

I go to the Dominican salon every week. I don't wash my own hair anymore unless I am on vacation (pure torture for me). Unless they are not there, the same two girls wash and rollerset my hair every time. That way they can let me know which products are working on my hair and which aren't.

The shampoo and conditioner vary because I'm trying to use up the products (from my PJ days) in my house, so I just take them to the salon. I use Salerm 21 leave-in but I don't really moisturize my hair throughout the week. Occasionally, I apply serum or serum and a verrrrrrrry light dab of vaseline to my ends. I don't know that this does anything but it makes me feel as though I am putting forth some effort towards my hair. (Lately I've just been spraying oil sheen in my hand and applying that when I don't want my hair to lose body and/or bounce).

The serum I am currently using is Fantasia IC Hair Polisher. I don't apply heat to my hair except for rollersets. I do have my roots blown out when I'm nearing touchup time because I go 10 weeks but always shoot for 12.

During the week, I wear my hair in a claw clip, ponytail, or bun. The latter two I try to stay away from because they seem to cause my crown to thin and be sore. This also seems to minimize headaches for me as well.

As far as airdrying is concerned, it's been a while since I've done that. I don't really believe its that great for me. I've gotten much better results since I've been consistently getting my hair rollerset.

If I left anything out, please let me know.

HTH----daviine

daviine said:
Now....if my hair ever gets longer, I dunno what I will do in the summer....maybe wear backless shirts? :lol:

Thank you for the compliment! :kiss:

I did a little "cutting" and "pasting" from PMs and here is what I consider to be my "regime":

I have two salons. One for perms and the other for wash and sets. The stylist that perms my hair uses Creme of Nature mild or Designer's Touch Texturizing Relaxer. To tell you the truth, I really don't know how she determines which one to use--I'm kinda scared to ask. The last time she permed my hair, she used Creme of Nature Regular--when I asked her why she said something about requiring a stronger relaxer in the summer......I dunno.....since my hair hasn't fallen out....I leave her alone although I really do wonder.

(I must add that I have some NG already (about 5 wks post-relaxer) so I'm hoping that my hair is just growing fast and not that its underprocessed! I dunno?)

I go to the Dominican salon every week. I don't wash my own hair anymore unless I am on vacation (pure torture for me). Unless they are not there, the same two girls wash and rollerset my hair every time. That way they can let me know which products are working on my hair and which aren't.

The shampoo and conditioner vary because I'm trying to use up the products (from my PJ days) in my house, so I just take them to the salon. I use Salerm 21 leave-in but I don't really moisturize my hair throughout the week. Occasionally, I apply serum or serum and a verrrrrrrry light dab of vaseline to my ends. I don't know that this does anything but it makes me feel as though I am putting forth some effort towards my hair. (Lately I've just been spraying oil sheen in my hand and applying that when I don't want my hair to lose body and/or bounce).

The serum I am currently using is Fantasia IC Hair Polisher. I don't apply heat to my hair except for rollersets. I do have my roots blown out when I'm nearing touchup time because I go 10 weeks but always shoot for 12.

During the week, I wear my hair in a claw clip, ponytail, or bun. The latter two I try to stay away from because they seem to cause my crown to thin and be sore. This also seems to minimize headaches for me as well.

As far as airdrying is concerned, it's been a while since I've done that. I don't really believe its that great for me. I've gotten much better results since I've been consistently getting my hair rollerset.

If I left anything out, please let me know.

HTH----daviine
Thanks for the info! It seems as though you pretty much "leave it alone" and that's working wonderfully. Alright, I'll stop hijaking candycane's thread. :look:

I wear my hair down more, but if I was wearing protective styles consistently, I probably have more hair :(

You took the words outta my mouth....gorgeous hair Daviine!!!! And thanks for posting your regimine. I was wondering whether anyone out there went to a dominican salon weekly and what the results were. I really hate doing my own rollersets and with grad school plus working full-time I may consider doing this as well.

imani97 said:
OT: Daviine, your hair is absolutely gorgeous! Do you have all one length? If you don't have your regimen posted, would you mind putting it somewhere? I'm in awe!

I think anytime is cool to wear your hair down as long as you don't abuse it with heat and if you make sure to keep it moisturized it should be okay!

Candycane044 said:

When there ain't no damn wind blowing is the best time to wear your hair down.

However, I find that long as ALL my hair is well oiled, especially the ends... let it blow, let it blow, let it blow :)

When I wear a "protective style", I usually will roll my hair inward and secure it with a large clip.

There was a poster a few years back who did a "Susan B. Anthony" type protective style, and it sounded really easy to do. I don't remember how you do it, though. Maybe someone else does.

One thing I have noticed, however, the longer your hair gets, the more sexy "Susan B. Anthony" styles look :)

anky said:
I wear my hair down more, but if I was wearing protective styles consistently, I probably have more hair :(

Hey Anky...

Don't be despondent. I find my hair does better when I keep it drenched in jojoba oil!

I hear the ladies about the snagging on clothes, though. When I first began my "grow out", I was dogmatic in trying to be overly careful that it drove me crazy.

Then I went to a white hair board, where I'm also a member, and a woman told me (her hair is past her waist and FULL) that broken hairs grow faster than unbroken hairs.

The point is, the broken hairs are trying to keep up with the long and unbroken hairs. Now I don't trip too much if I turn my hair and I feel a tug. That used to drive me insane! I would be ready to start crying, because I knew what it meant! LOL! :)

Good luck to you!

Blossssom said:
. . . broken hairs grow faster than unbroken hairs.

The point is, the broken hairs are trying to keep up with the long and unbroken hairs.

:confused: But hair is dead protein, not living . . . so I don't think this is true.

Anyway, I think how often you wear your hair down is a personal decision determined by your personal hair goals and the current condition of your hair. If hair is strong enough to handle the mild abuse that it will encounter when worn down, then daily would probably be okay. My hair snags easily and I always cringe when I hear a piece snap off after a snag, so I don't wear it down that often.

I can't really answer "when is it ok to wear your hair down"
I wear my hair down every single day, thats ok for me.
Pure jojoba oil and ntm serum stay on my ends.

sylver2 said:
I can't really answer "when is it ok to wear your hair down"
I wear my hair down every single day, thats ok for me.
Pure jojoba oil and ntm serum stay on my ends.

I wanna be like you when I grow up!! I wear it down when I relax for a couple days but I can feel and hear it tugging and breaking so I usually put it back up.

I think it's always okay :lol:. But that's just me. Even if it's healthier to wear your hair up, I just can't do it. I absolutely hate ponytails.

Lorraine said:
I think it depends on the strength and texture of your hair. For me, I love wearing my hair down but throughout the day it still snags on my clothing and I find myself fighting split ends and breakage in the middle. I think it differs for other people. Some women on the board have long hair, have maintained it, and never wear it in a protective style.

ITA. I love to wear my hair down, but I battle this little area in the middle that is either growing super slow (which is probably not the case since I can barely feel my scalp at the back of my head) or it is breaking beacause of something, e.g. friction. My hair likes to grow in a W pattern, with the sides growing faster than the middle. I have trimmed my hair twice in the past 3 months due to this problem, to try to make it blunt cut again so the middle can catch up. I think I am going to wear it up for a while.

Back