WHEN I SAY HENNA FOR LIFE!!!!!

Let me get my sunglasses, you are blinding me with your shine:eek: You've done a great job and your hair is gorgeous! I did my 2nd henna last Sat. with Dulhan (1.49 for 3.5oz local) and I can't stop looking at the shine.

There's nothing to be afraid of with henna. I've used Bigen and henna is a lot neater!!!

Synthia said:
Great color and hair.

I've learned things from this post that I've never heard before:
1. Postting henna in the oven. :eek:
2. Putting Aphogee (protein) in henna (is this the hard-core treatment or 2 min reconstructor?)

Fabulous tips.

I got the oven tip from a lady's recipe on hennaforhair.com (can't remember who). There is protein in the Aphogee conditioner but its not the hardcore treatment. I would never do henna and the Aphogee treatment at the same time. Scurry!! lol

Thanks!!:)

DulceKisses said:
Your hair looks amazing, like your posing for the cover of a relaxer box, lol :)
I would so love to do a henna/indigo treatment (I long for blue/black healthy strong hair) but Im too confused, taken back and overwhelmed with all the different recipes and information I just admire from a far.

dulcekisses,

this is my sentiments exactly. it is so confusing!

cayenne,

your hair looks sooooooooooooooooo lush! have you been touching it and swinging it? LOL

thesweetone said:
Girl,

Your hair looks AMAZING!!!!!! My second henna treatment is this Sunday. I hope that one day my shedding will stop and my hair can be full like that!

Henna is what's up!!!!

off topic-

heavens, THAT style is from pin-curling?! you must have the bomb flick in your wrist...i cannot pin curl my hair to save my life, LOL! my curls go every which way!

Your hair looks beautiful!

I love henna, too. I'll be doing my seventh treatment next week and it only gets better. The color has changed and deepened over time for me. I absolutely love it and I love the strength of my hair now too.

I don't put my henna in the oven. But I do use hot water, turn my oven on and place the henna mix on top of the oven for warmth. The heat makes for fast dye release, I think.

Wow! YOur hair is lookin' great! I noticed that you didn't bother with acv and/or lemon juice. They bring out more colour, right? Your hair seemed to get a lot of colour -- or was it not black to begin with.

I just mixed my first batch of henna this afternoon for application later tonight. I mixed about 1/4 cup of acv into the mix. Maybe I overdid it... I don't want red hair! :perplexed

Thanks everybody!! You are so nice and compliments are uplifting and encouraging and to think I've been in tears from shedding tons of hair and now I get to feel good about my hair for a change.

I did not use ACV this time and I'm glad I didn't. Last time my hair felt dryer when I used it but it still turned out great. It just took some serious moisturizing to make sure it got back to being soft. I don't understand why ACV can make your hair somewhat drier when using with henna but if you use it as a rinse it makes your hair soft! :confused: Anywho, good luck to everyone who are continuing with henna and especially to those who will be inspired to give it a shot!

Lady Libra - I can't keep my hands out of it. lololol

CarmelDiva - Thanks for noticing my baby steps in progress. I've been dusting regularly and had to do a couple of trims because of the shedding and some breakage but overall I think I've done okay considering the avatar pic is from mid-July and we are now in November. I have lots of layers to grow out so I'm trying to keep it above shoulder length until the rest catches up.

Cayenne0622 said:
I did not use ACV this time and I'm glad I didn't. Last time my hair felt dryer when I used it but it still turned out great. It just took some serious moisturizing to make sure it got back to being soft. I don't understand why ACV can make your hair somewhat drier when using with henna but if you use it as a rinse it makes your hair soft! :confused:

OK, I've just gone and mixed up a new batch with warmed distilled water and no ACV. I'll still save my first batch with the ACV -- maybe I'll stick it in the freezer. I decided I'm just going to try it with just water and EVOO for the first time, that way if I make changes the next few times I'll be able to compare them to my "baseline" experience.

I am loving your hair, it's soo thick and the color is nice. Love the results thanks for sharing.
I think I'm gonna go henna shopping tomorrow even though I can't use it yet, I just can't wait to do another treatment.

Cayenne0622 said:
:D Man, I did my second henna treatment last night and I am in love!!! This time I did not use indigo. I used henna, amla powder, pectin, evoo, jojoba oil and bottled water. I heated it in the oven for 20 mins...almost cooked it (gotta be more careful) lololol. I also added about a tablespoon of Aphoghee reconstructor conditioner. Here are a couple of pics! I'm so happy!

View attachment 2980

View attachment 2981

Ooooh Girl you PURTY!!!!! WOW!! Man o Man okay no more indigo for me! Great job girl !!! How long did you leave it on for?

Keen said:
Yes, your hair does look nice. What does heating it in the oven do to it?
Dats some Henna VooDoo~~ Grew her hair 4 inches in one washing...hehehe

I'm putting mine in the oven too, shoot!

Cayenne0622 said:
Thanks everybody!! You are so nice and compliments are uplifting and encouraging and to think I've been in tears from shedding tons of hair and now I get to feel good about my hair for a change.

I did not use ACV this time and I'm glad I didn't. Last time my hair felt dryer when I used it but it still turned out great. It just took some serious moisturizing to make sure it got back to being soft. I don't understand why ACV can make your hair somewhat drier when using with henna but if you use it as a rinse it makes your hair soft! :confused: Anywho, good luck to everyone who are continuing with henna and especially to those who will be inspired to give it a shot!

I dried my hair out with my last henna because of the ACV acid thing. How did you get your hair moist again, I am going home to try and correct that now. I will not be using ACV, Lemmons or any of that again, it's not necessary!

BLING-BLING!!!!!

Girl that hair is on point! Nice shine and subtle color you have there and its really full and thick. Congratulations on getting your shedding issues under control...!

Gosh! I don't know who to start with. lolol Atlanta JJ is a clown! I'm over here cracking up! Henna voodoo! lol Ya'll, my hair is NOT thick. I always wished it was. It has been known to deceive for some reason. I am a thin haired gal with some medium strands through the crown area.

L Mo - I know you'll love it without the ACV. I know I do. Remember my henna is Jamila brand. The first time I henna'd I did it for an hour (that was 2 weeks ago). This time I did it for 2 hours under a dryer/bonet. I slept for the last hour. lol

Thanks again everybody so very much for the words of encouragement and the compliments. I was terrified to use henna for months and got comfortable from discussing with ladies like Sareca and VWvixxen. Henna is not difficult and should have a positive result on your hair if you get quality henna. Your first time may seem drying -- like mine but its not a bad dry - you can feel the strength in your hair, you just have to make sure your moisturize really well. This time I didn't experience any drying effects AT ALL.

Both times I followed up my treatment with Elasta QP DPR 11 w/honey and evoo. Due to the dryness from the first time I deep conditioned with it for an hour. I also airdried my hair with my leave in's - Neutrogena Triple Moisture and Elasta QP H2. I continued to moisturize my hair (and kept it bunned) until my next wash about 4 days later. The dryness was gone but the strength and volume was still there
This time, I left it on probably for 5 minutes while I showered after rinsing the henna out. I didn't need to do much to my hair this time around. My hair was HAPPY!! I slapped on a quarter size amount of Sebastian Potion#9 (I think that's the name) and a little bit of NTM and was done.

Long note but I hope it helped.

I feel you on the love for the henna! It is the truth! I've got it on my hair now as I type :grin:
OT: I like your new siggy AtlantaJJ! :grin:

your looks beautiful! its very full and it looks like you made progress. i want to use a clear henna because i do not want to change the color of my hair i just want it to be stronger and healthier. does anyone know where i the clear one get it?

locabouthair said:
your looks beautiful! its very full and it looks like you made progress. i want to use a clear henna because i do not want to change the color of my hair i just want it to be stronger and healthier. does anyone know where i the clear one get it?
Thanks! I was looking for cassia(clear henna) when I made my purchase from hennaforhair.com but she was out at the time or something like that. You may want to check because that was a few months ago.

Thanks Sheena M - :lol: seriously girl. I've cried many nights over my hair growing up because all the women in my family have very thick curly hair. My sis has thin hair and so do I but she ended up with 3b/c type hair like my dad. I got 4a but the thinness came from dad. If you only knew my hair sadness! I laugh about it now because I know how to care for it as an adult but as a child, no one in my family knew what to do with it. It was so different from everyone else's an never grew past neck length until I was an adult and taking care of it myself. It got to APL then.

amr501 said:
I feel you on the love for the henna! It is the truth! I've got it on my hair now as I type :grin:
OT: I like your new siggy AtlantaJJ! :grin:

Thank you darling, trying to share beauty across the land....I have a thing for chocolate :look:

Maybe this has been said but, what kind of henna do you use if you don't want to color your hair but just want the conditioning, thickening benefits. I use semi-permanent black hair dye. so, I know I would have to use body art henna. But, should I use the henna that will color my hair??? Help!

Thanks

Iamnotmyhair said:
Maybe this has been said but, what kind of henna do you use if you don't want to color your hair but just want the conditioning, thickening benefits. I use semi-permanent black hair dye. so, I know I would have to use body art henna. But, should I use the henna that will color my hair??? Help!

Thanks

That would be Cassia. Also, I "think" you have to let regular henna sit for a long time and/or add terps "acv or lemon juice" to release the dye so I think if you just apply the henna right away with cool water and whatever oil or conditioner you want then you should not see any color change. Just do a strand test first. Mix some henna with water and let your shedding or broken hair sit in it for an hour. Rinse the hair and if you see a color change then you know you don't want to use it, if you don't notice any change then you are good to go. Hope that helps.

Back