When did you meet your SO/DH parents?

LOL @ eating the pound cakes :grin:
That is funny and I'm sure nerve-wrecking for you at first when you met them. Moms usually love me to be honest. His mom seems really down to earth and likeable from how she talks on the phone. His dad isn't around, it's just him, his mom his older sister and niece. And they are VERY close, so I'm nervous to be quite honest.

aww, don't be nervous! just be yourself, and of course don't wear anything sluttacious when you see her in person. clearly SO likes you, and if she likes SO, she'll like you!

aww, don't be nervous! just be yourself, and of course don't wear anything sluttacious when you see her in person. clearly SO likes you, and if she likes SO, she'll like you!

AWWW thanks girl for the motivation :grin:

Note to self: do not wear black freakum dress when meeting his mom!! :grin:

About 2 months after we started dating, I met his mom. He took me to his sister's volleyball game, and she was there. I met his dad a few months later.

I met my DH's family the night before our wedding
They did not want him to marry my little chocolate butt, so they were not happy.

It's been 7 years they eventually got over it

For my current SO it was maybe a month after we started officially dating. We were friends for months before that and went to HS together, so his dad knew I existed. LOL MY SO before him..... I never met his parents (seven year long interracial relationship). Yeah, I was dumb. I'm much happier now and love my SO's family like they are my own. They even threw a little b-day party for me this past year (we've been dating a little over a year). :grin:

For my current SO it was maybe a month after we started officially dating. We were friends for months before that and went to HS together, so his dad knew I existed. LOL MY SO before him..... I never met his parents (seven year long interracial relationship). Yeah, I was dumb. I'm much happier now and love my SO's family like they are my own. They even threw a little b-day party for me this past year (we've been dating a little over a year). :grin:

AAWWW how nice. It's great when you get along so well with the family :yep:

I met them the same day I met him. We spent the whole day together when we met and after we went back to his house to watch television before he went to work.

AAWWW how nice. It's great when you get along so well with the family :yep:

Yeah, I definitely see the diff. that it makes w/in our relationship. My perception of what was normal was so skewed that I couldn't believe that his parents liked me. My parents had to remind me that I am a great person.... of course they would like me. :grin:

Yeah I realize I need to just chill. Just go with the flow, I think today was really me just thinking too hard :spinning:

I think that if you feel comfortable with how things have gone, then don't worry. If it bothers you though, you should mention it to him.

I met my SO's mother on Thanksgiving day about 3 months after we got together. He asked me around 1.5 months in if I wanted to go to NC to meet her on that day. She is very nice and calls me her DIL.

I met them 6 months into our relationship. I was in college so I couldn't travel 4 hours to see them. He did show them pictures and tell them about me about 2 months into the relationship.

It was strange because the day I met them, I was going to sleep over in their house. For me that was so out of the ordinary because my parents are very conservative and would still never agree with me sleeping in the same bed with any guy, especially in their house. Anyway, his mom is the sweetest woman alive... literally. She is so nice. Even though, I was nervous and probably very akward, she made me feel comfortable. I ended up meeting her accidentally because we went to the mall before we went to his house and it turned out that his mom wanted to do a little shopping too. So we ran into her and she was the most welcoming 5'0" slice of sweetness that I have ever met. His dad is a nice guy too.

I now visit his family more than my own. Because my family doesn't agree with me living with a guy and his fam is cool about it. Plus they are so sweet. Waiting 6 months to meet them was definitely worth it.

I met them 6 months into our relationship. I was in college so I couldn't travel 4 hours to see them. He did show them pictures and tell them about me about 2 months into the relationship.

It was strange because the day I met them, I was going to sleep over in their house. For me that was so out of the ordinary because my parents are very conservative and would still never agree with me sleeping in the same bed with any guy, especially in their house. Anyway, his mom is the sweetest woman alive... literally. She is so nice. Even though, I was nervous and probably very akward, she made me feel comfortable. I ended up meeting her accidentally because we went to the mall before we went to his house and it turned out that his mom wanted to do a little shopping too. So we ran into her and she was the most welcoming 5'0" slice of sweetness that I have ever met. His dad is a nice guy too.

I now visit his family more than my own. Because my family doesn't agree with me living with a guy and his fam is cool about it. Plus they are so sweet. Waiting 6 months to meet them was definitely worth it.

Awww, glad it worked out. I've only slept in the same bed w/ my SO once at his parents' house (this past New Year's b/c he was so drunk and they wanted him to go to bed lol). Normally I sleep upstairs and he sleeps on the couch. I like it that way b/c I know my parents wouldn't condone us sleeping in the same bed together at their house. It also made me feel like his mom respected our relationship and took me seriously for some reason. Long story....

My SO and I have been dating 4 years...and I have yet to meet his parents. And no they don't live in another state.....him and his family live 15 minutes away!! He's met mine, but he was introduced as a "friend"..but they knew the real deal...it's just that no one said anything.... We might just meet each others parents at graduation in May and this time acknowledge that yes, this is "the boyfriend" and this is "the girlfriend". LOL! We'll see.

My SO and I have been dating 4 years...and I have yet to meet his parents. And no they don't live in another state.....him and his family live 15 minutes away!! He's met mine, but he was introduced as a "friend"..but they knew the real deal...it's just that no one said anything.... We might just meet each others parents at graduation in May and this time acknowledge that yes, this is "the boyfriend" and this is "the girlfriend". LOL! We'll see.

Are you OK with not having met his family? 4 years seems a tad long if it's a serious relationship. When did he meet your parents?

That's what I was going to ask, how do you feel about that? You two attend the same school? I'm glad you two are going 4 yrs. strong though :yep:

I think that if you feel comfortable with how things have gone, then don't worry. If it bothers you though, you should mention it to him.

Yeah I'm not going to worry about it just yet. Since come haven't met their SO's parents in a year or so. I guess since we are very early into the relationship I won't trip just yet :drunk:

LOL @ Slice of sweetness, I like that. And you go girl, got him showing pics 2 months in. That must've felt good :grin:

I'm ok with it. Part of me is scared though at the thought of meeting them, especially since it's been so long...I feel like I need to REALLY bring in my A+ game since they might be expecting more out of me because of the amount of time we've been together.

Justicewife: Yes, we go to the same school. We spent all four years of college together (Met in Sept '03, started dating November '03 and been together since then.)

The wierd part is that me and his mom exchange Christmas gifts and such...but I've never met her face to face.

I think the reason we haven't officially met the other's parents yet is because:
A.) We're different races (He's Chinese American)
B.) My parents were CRAZY strict (Anybody Haitian or have Haitian females friends??...ask them, they'll tell you the DRAMA of Haitian parents and their daughters)
C.) We kept saying "We're too young" or "They relationship isn't that stromg enough yet to be meeting the other's parents"..or "We'll meet them on a special occassion".

Four years later, here we are.

Also, someone asked earlier when did he meet my parents: He met them 2 years ago. We are born 4 days apart and so we had a joint 21st B-day aprty. He met them then.

That's what I was going to ask, how do you feel about that? You two attend the same school? I'm glad you two are going 4 yrs. strong though :yep:

I'm ok with it. Part of me is scared though at the thought of meeting them, especially since it's been so long...I feel like I need to REALLY bring in my A+ game since they might be expecting more out of me because of the amount of time we've been together.

Justicewife: Yes, we go to the same school. We spent all four years of college together (Met in Sept '03, started dating November '03 and been together since then.)

The wierd part is that me and his mom exchange Christmas gifts and such...but I've never met her face to face.

I think the reason we haven't officially met the other's parents yet is because:
A.) We're different races (He's Chinese American)
B.) My parents were CRAZY strict (Anybody Haitian or have Haitian females friends??...ask them, they'll tell you the DRAMA of Haitian parents and their daughters)
C.) We kept saying "We're too young" or "They relationship isn't that stromg enough yet to be meeting the other's parents"..or "We'll meet them on a special occassion".

Four years later, here we are.

Also, someone asked earlier when did he meet my parents: He met them 2 years ago. We are born 4 days apart and so we had a joint 21st B-day aprty. He met them then.

Well I can understand and appreciate you and your SO's decision and logic behind waiting. I'm sure his parents will love you, they'll be happy to put a face with a name too since exchaging Christmas gifts. It's going to be like meeting your secret Santa :grin:

I worked with his SIL and his brother would come visit her all the time at work. One day he said "Hey you would be a good catch for my brother." I think they both had been plotting on me from the beginning, because when I went to meet his parents a week later his mother said "I've been hearing about you for the past month." I had only know him two weeks so his brother and SIL must have been talking to her about me.

personally, i'm not interested in meeting a guy's parents until we are just that serious...i.e...talking marriage and i mean serious talk..not what ifs.

i have had guys wanting me to meet their folks within 2 weeks of knowing them. :nono:

ITA!!! It has been exactly a year and he has not met my parents and will not meet them unless marraige is in the works.. in my culture meeting the parents esp. for a lady to bring home a man, is very serious.

Now that it is a year he is ready for me to meet his family. I already met his dad by accident.

But on a brighter note he has already met al my sisters who are just as important to me!

i haven't met my So's family yet. his family lives down South in the US and him & I live in Canada.

it's been a year and i actually don't want to meet them unless we plan on being together for a while/marriage.

i'm actually scared to meet them...he talks to his mom regularly and his brothers almost daily. they seem to be very tight. his dad died and it seems like he is the dude in charge of the family since he is the oldest. we are going into our 2nd year together so we will see how things progress.

he hasn't met my fam either and i'm not ready.

Me and my SO having a complicated relationship right now. But anywho, we've been together for a little over two years and I haven't met his mom yet.

He told his cousins about me and I met some of them, I grew up with his friends, I met his little brother, but I did not meet his mom. Him and his mom haven't been seeing eye to eye for a long time and I feel like the right time to meet her hasn't cºme yet.

ITA!!! It has been exactly a year and he has not met my parents and will not meet them unless marraige is in the works.. in my culture meeting the parents esp. for a lady to bring home a man, is very serious.

Now that it is a year he is ready for me to meet his family. I already met his dad by accident.

But on a brighter note he has already met al my sisters who are just as important to me!

Yes, my family is the same. My SO met my mom by an accident. But she didn't get a full description on who he actually is. When I'm ready to get married then I will introduce the older people in my family to my SO.

Yes, my family is the same. My SO met my mom by an accident. But she didn't get a full description on who he actually is. When I'm ready to get married then I will introduce the older people in my family to my SO.

He met mine on New Years day. Then as we were about to leave, my half sister and half brother showed up so he got a whole lot of meeting done in one day.

His parents are up in Buffalo so I haven't met them yet, but he's asked me when I want to go up there. :P

They know all about me and did before we even first met officially (he was in Vegas at the time and he's very close with both).

Last edited:
Back