SOs Parents ... and You.

Yeah my mother is the ignorant one
I keep them apart Its better that way for all of us.

Lauryn Doll- why are they calling you flighty?- thats a west indian term as far as I know
my mom hates hubby cause he is american.

They're American. My mom has WI roots though.

I guess it's because everytime they ASK about me I seem to be doing all types of things. But I'm in school full time... and I like changing jobs if the atmosphere is not what I think it should be - challenging, not negative on my educational goals. Also, SO supports me while this is happening, so I guess because I don't pay 50% exactly on all the bills... I don't seem stable.

They're American. My mom has WI roots though.

I guess it's because everytime they ASK about me I seem to be doing all types of things. But I'm in school full time... and I like changing jobs if the atmosphere is not what I think it should be - challenging, not negative on my educational goals. Also, SO supports me while this is happening, so I guess because I don't pay 50% exactly on all the bills... I don't seem stable.

Well Thats not being flighty
I dont see anything wrong with what you do
dont worry about dem
next time tell dem say "chat to ya back":lachen:

Wow this thread makes me feel better. I am in this situation but my parents are the ones being ridiculous. does it put a strain on the relationship? Or is it all good as long as you keep them apart?

Not really. SO's mother lives thousands of miles away but he goes to visit in the summers. We'll see what happens if I actually meet her.

I am polite and I keep it as short as I possibly can without being rude. I do the small talk, "the kids are doing this and that" and I share a joke here and there, then once I feel that the conversation has run its course, I exit just as politely as I started.

I do not try to create any false friendships with them. But I have never gotten into any words with them either. I find that you never really win when you get caught in heated moments with the parents....so why bother. The closest I ever got to some tension was when the mom was telling me what DH's sister had said behind my back. I simply replied,
"In-laws do not have to like me, just as long as they respect me." I could tell she did not care for that answer, but she shut the hell up. Since then, its been on neutral.....no real love....no hate....we're all just stuck 'cause we love DH....so we're all playing nice nice.

Previous boyfreinds' parents LOVED me. But his parents...were like whatever. So I mirror their indifference. We had the potential to build something solid, but I quickly realized it was not the case. I mirror their way....kiss kiss, hello hello, chat chat, chuckle chuckle, bye bye. Its all good. Their loss...'cause I am fabulous.

I am grateful that they laid down together to make DH...so for that I show them the respect they deserve.

I loved every bit of your answer. Fabulous.

Its not that I hate them in fact they have been family to me when my family wasn't.I'm just hurt right now by their son hence I don't have too many words for them.

I know you edited it, but I read beforehand.

That does seem kinda messed up.

Do you think they are trying to be sincere or are they truly poking at you? :ohwell:

DH's mom and one of his sisters doesn't. I do really bad things like take too many showers and read books.:look: Seriously, they dont have a reason but that's somethings I've heard. I dont like them either so oh well.:rolleyes:

I know you edited it, but I read beforehand.

That does seem kinda messed up.

Do you think they are trying to be sincere or are they truly poking at you? :ohwell:
They were sincere.They just don't think nothing is wrong with playing house and I don't like it at all.My grandmom said mother-in-law today referring to his mom and I just quickly gave her that look like don't even go there.She was being smart.:sad:

The odd thing is... My SOs parents don't like me because of my Mom, not because of me (they've never met me.) I started dating him when I was like thirteen years old, so obviously we had some problems there. (I'm eighteen now, he's two-three years older than I am.)

My plan is to do the whole family dinner thing and make a good impression on them. We've been LD for the past few years so I haven't been able to do that yet, but hopefully when I turn the charm on they'll like me again!

Back