When did you meet your SO/DH parents?

Well I was dating SO for 2 months before we decided to make it official in March. I met his parents/ family approx. 2 weeks afterwards. We get along really well. :)

Edited to add** I should say that it was March of 2002, we've been together almost 6 years.

I met his mother almost a year after we dated. We met in college and never went home for the weekends or he got rides home from other people when we went home (our houses were 2hrs away). I met his dad about 2 years after we dated, his father lives out of state.

Well I was dating SO for 2 months before we decided to make it official in March. I met his parents/ family approx. 2 weeks afterwards. We get along really well. :)

Edited to add** I should say that it was March of 2002, we've been together almost 6 years.

HMMM... yeah see, we haven't officially made it official if you know what I mean. But I'm coming up on 5 months. He's met my mom by default. She lives in NY but she was at my house visiting. His mom is right here in Atl :perplexed

I met his mother almost a year after we dated. We met in college and never went home for the weekends or he got rides home from other people when we went home (our houses were 2hrs away). I met his dad about 2 years after we dated, his father lives out of state.

Oh ok, you two were in college... how long before you two became official?

3 weeks after meeting him. :yep:

Was it like a "big step" type of meeting them or just like very casual and non-chalant? For some reason I have a feeling with him, it's like a big step type of thing. Which I'm okay with but I'm like ummmm ok. The closest I've got was him calling her from my house phone :lachen::lachen:

I first met his parents within the first couple months we were together. He still hasn't met my mom (I'm from Florida, and he is from Virginia. I'm in VA for school). Who knows when he'll meet my dad (heck, I barely see him anyway). But, he has met my aunt and uncle here in VA (on my dad's side).

You ladies got the gift!! :yep: Most men are protective and cautious when it comes to this which has me wondering :rolleyes:

Yeah, it was a year for me. His family lives out of state (NY) and so does mine (MD), but he met mine a couple of months after we started dating. That is mostly because my family is nosey.

I thought this was too long...but when I did it was more special especially because he is so private.

personally, i'm not interested in meeting a guy's parents until we are just that serious...i.e...talking marriage and i mean serious talk..not what ifs.

i have had guys wanting me to meet their folks within 2 weeks of knowing them. :nono:

personally, i'm not interested in meeting a guy's parents until we are just that serious...i.e...talking marriage and i mean serious talk..not what ifs.

i have had guys wanting me to meet their folks within 2 weeks of knowing them. :nono:

Yeah I realize I need to just chill. Just go with the flow, I think today was really me just thinking too hard :spinning:

Yeah, it was a year for me. His family lives out of state (NY) and so does mine (MD), but he met mine a couple of months after we started dating. That is mostly because my family is nosey.

I thought this was too long...but when I did it was more special especially because he is so private.

I asked my sister and it was a year for her to meet her DH's parents too, which I never realized. They've been together 8 years strong. I do believe it will be a special moment too :look:

Was it like a "big step" type of meeting them or just like very casual and non-chalant? For some reason I have a feeling with him, it's like a big step type of thing. Which I'm okay with but I'm like ummmm ok. The closest I've got was him calling her from my house phone :lachen::lachen:

LOL. Yes, it was serious...Thanksgiving Day with his ENTIRE family (mom, dad, brother, sister, nieces, nephew, uncles, aunts. I was terrified but they were sooooo nice. We got engaged 3 months later and married 5 months after the engagement...a very quick courtship, but we just knew it was right.

I wouldn't worry about your situation. I think meeting fam should be a big step and not taken too lightly. I had to make sure that my DH hadnt made a habit out of bringing girls over so early:nono:. I was relieved when his sister saw me and yelled, "THANK GOD!!!! ITS ABOUT TIME." :lachen:

I met DH's parents about 9 months after we started dating. His parents lived about 2.5 hrs away. We got engaged 9 months later.

Yeah, its definitely not a big deal unless I see it going somewhere. This thread reminded me of the movie Waiting to Exhale hen Robin was dating a guy for like a couple days and he wanted her to meet his mother. :lol: Initially, she thought that was flattering at first but then she thought about it!!:lol::lachen: Ol boy was off the chain!!:lachen: Ol boy wearing the leather in the summer time. :lachen:

I met SO's mom after a month or so. She was basically rude to me. LOL. But SO was like, "Once she sees that you're going to be around for awhile, she'll open up." When we were getting close to a year, sure enough, she came around. His biological father was killed when SO was 2. But his step-father is nice, whenever he's around.

Yeah, its definitely not a big deal unless I see it going somewhere. This thread reminded me of the movie Waiting to Exhale hen Robin was dating a guy for like a couple days and he wanted her to meet his mother. :lol: Initially, she thought that was flattering at first but then she thought about it!!:lol::lachen: Ol boy was off the chain!!:lachen: Ol boy wearing the leather in the summer time. :lachen:

I started feeling like Robin too :lachen::lachen::lachen: Nah, not really but I'm just gonna relax and go with the flow :spinning:

i met SO's parents by complete and utter accidence. we'd been seeing each other for about a month when i met his stepfather (went to SO's house, walked up the driveway, and out rolls this man from up under this pickup truck he was working on), and it was 4 months into the relationship when i met his mother (i was helping SO move into his new place, and right as i walked in, she was walking out :nono:

they're both ex military, by the way, so i was extremely intimidated :nono::nono::nono:

lol, actually it wasn't that bad. they're 2 of the nicest people i've ever met, especially the mom. but i think she only likes me because i used to bake pound cakes for SO, and she'd eat them instead :)

I met SO's mom after a month or so. She was basically rude to me. LOL. But SO was like, "Once she sees that you're going to be around for awhile, she'll open up." When we were getting close to a year, sure enough, she came around. His biological father was killed when SO was 2. But his step-father is nice, whenever he's around.

Well I'm glad she came around, you know how some momma's are when it comes to their sons :rolleyes:

i met SO's parents by complete and utter accidence. we'd been seeing each other for about a month when i met his stepfather (went to SO's house, walked up the driveway, and out rolls this man from up under this pickup truck he was working on), and it was 4 months into the relationship when i met his mother (i was helping SO move into his new place, and right as i walked in, she was walking out :nono:

they're both ex military, by the way, so i was extremely intimidated :nono::nono::nono:

lol, actually it wasn't that bad. they're 2 of the nicest people i've ever met, especially the mom. but i think she only likes me because i used to bake pound cakes for SO, and she'd eat them instead :)

LOL @ eating the pound cakes :grin:
That is funny and I'm sure nerve-wrecking for you at first when you met them. Moms usually love me to be honest. His mom seems really down to earth and likeable from how she talks on the phone. His dad isn't around, it's just him, his mom his older sister and niece. And they are VERY close, so I'm nervous to be quite honest.

Back