When All Else Fails, There's Always...

Sianna

If all else fails... there's always _______.

Here's the deal; my hair is at a really frustrating length right now and I really don't know what to do with it. :ohwell: It's not a TWA anymore, yet it's still really short. Specifically, it's about four inches long and when stretched, my lowermost layer falls to the bottom of my neck. I know I need to experiment a little more with different styling options and techniques, but so far most things I've tried just haven't turned out as good as I'd like.

I'll definitely be working on that, but for those times when NOTHING seems to be working, my last resort is the WNG, and I'm even starting to dislike the way that looks. Oh, and I can do a small ponytail too, but after about a day it starts to look frizzy and... not good.

So, if your hair is of similar length to mine, or even slightly longer, please tell me your all purpose back up style!! WNG? Twists? Braids? Twist/braid-out? Whatcha got?!

Also, if you got pics... well, you know the deal! :grin:

Last edited:
My backup style is always single plats like 10-20 braids under a wig that I like. It's braids because I'm at an odd length too. My lowest layer falls almost apl but I'm still not use to layers yet and my sides are REALLY behind the longest layer so plats afford me the ability to wash my hair relatively well, moisturize and seal allowing me to know I don't have many ssks or splits, and deep condition without getting it on my scalp. I let them dry like on a weekend usually Sunday night and then that week I put a wig on when going out. When I'm at home I'll just rock a scarf (helps lock moisture) or sometimes I'll do a braidout (not quite happy with how those turn out on me maybe when its longer it'll be better.)
Twists are also good I'll be doing those for about two weeks until they annoy me.
If your length is actually frustrating and you have a few dollars around I'd say get some cornrows or individual braids put in. You get a break and can still wash them and go.

I have nothing really to say except.....you can make a ponytail?!!! Can I see a pic please? I'm obsessed with finding the length where I'll be able to make a ponytail lol Do you have 4 inches of stretched hair or unstretched?

I have nothing really to say except.....you can make a ponytail?!!! Can I see a pic please? I'm obsessed with finding the length where I'll be able to make a ponytail lol Do you have 4 inches of stretched hair or unstretched?

My hair is about four inches stretched. It looks much shorter when it's shrunken... which is most of the time! :lol:

If I'm going to wear a ponytail, I'll shellac my hair down with gel an pull it back into a small (really small) ponytail. I usually wear a claw clip over it since it's so tiny that I don't feel really comfortable just wearing it as is. My hair has grown a little since I took this pic, but this is pretty much how it looks.

100_1428-vi.jpg

The ponytail itself is more of a little puff ball rather than a proper ponytail. To give you an idea, it looks similar to this.
100_1542.jpg

Except it's just one rather than a bunch of them! :lol:

You ever thought about buying phony ponies? I have a few so I just want enough hair to put into a pony and slap those babies on!

i have a weave in right now...my hair cant hold a proper twist for nothing (i tried twists once and i sat under the dryer so they could dry quick b4 they unraveled...and they still unraveled halfway, but it dried enough to still make a cute twistout ), and too short for a real pony (i can get it into one barely, but its the saddest lil ponytail i ever saw lol)...my go 2 is a WnG but in the winter i wanted to be protective and i cant see myself doing a WnG daily or even 2 or 3x a week...i have about 5-5.5 inches of hair stretched and it was starting to look awkward in just the WnGs so i used to push it back with a headband into a WnG puff

When my hair was that length I wore either a puff or small twists. Handbands and other accessories plus unique earrings were my BFF at this stage. (I do have pics but I'm afraid to open my Fotki b/c of the viruses. I'll try to see if I still have something on my hard drive for ya.)

You ever thought about buying phony ponies? I have a few so I just want enough hair to put into a pony and slap those babies on!

I considered a phony pony, but in the end I've decided against it. Maybe I'm being a little difficult, but I don't really want to wear a ponytail or a pony puff till my own hair is long enough to do so. In my mind, it'll be a lot more rewarding that way, meaning that I've managed grow my hair and retain my length due to healthy hair practices. For the most part, I've been avoiding taking "short cuts," if you understand what I mean.

Wow!!! You can make a pony?!! I'm DYING to do one. I have about 5-5 1/2 in. of hair. Maybe I should give it a go.

Right now my go to style is just a puff. That's all I ever do. Im a SAHM so my edges aren't suffering only because since I don't go out often I only wear a puff maybe twice a week. I'm sure if it were more my edges would be gone with my fine hair.

My hair is about 5 to 5.5 inches. I alternate between two strand twists and rope twists during the week and then wear a twists out on the weekend. My twists look ok but I don't take pics in them because the don't hang at all. My twists out/puff is my avatar.

I have never worn a wash and go, I hate a wig and my head must be big because I can't do a ponytail yet.

Going to try putting in my own kinky twists this weekend to give myself a break and get some length.

Right now you have a lot of options. You have a good length to wear your own hair in different styles or your can add some hair and have cornrows, box braids, kinky twists, etc.

Back