WHAT'S THE POINT OF..........

soslychic

WHAT\'S THE POINT OF..........

...streching out relaxer application periods? How is this healthier for the hair? If a person receives 1 1/2 inches of growth in 2 months, why is it better to wait 4 more weeks, for example, until they have a little over 2 inches if the old growth is always gonna be protected and you're just relaxing new growth? Does it really make a difference?

Re: WHAT\'S THE POINT OF..........

I don't know about anybody but I am "programmed" to get a relaxer every 4 months no matter how much new growth I have. I stretched it out longer before because I wasn't too sure about which relaxer to get. Also, for some strange reason, I like massaging the back of my head when I have new growth
nuts.gif

I wait because I do my own touch-ups and it's easier for me to see the new growth to prevent overlapping.

I don't think the old growth is always gonna be protected because one can be super careful and the chemicals are still going to come in contact with the previously relaxed hair. So I guess spacing the relaxers out reduces the amount of contact the previously relaxed hair and scalp has to the chemicals. At least that's my understanding.
look.gif

Thats why I do it Jen. It reduces how much of the old growth is overlapped.

I stretch mine out for the same reasons JenJen and Stylepink mentioned. It's good to give the hair a rest by spacing out the frequency of chemical processing
smile.gif

Now, some people's hair is different. After going long periods of time w/ 2 different textures, disaster strikes. The key is knowing how long you can go successfully

I stretch it out because it is better for your hair. I know this sounds crazy but when my Mom first started getting her hair relaxed you were supposed to get a touch up every six months. When I started getting a relaxer touch up time had decreased to every three months. Now the jar says as needed.

[ QUOTE ]
I stretch mine out for the same reasons JenJen and Stylepink mentioned. It's good to give the hair a rest by spacing out the frequency of chemical processing
smile.gif

Now, some people's hair is different. After going long periods of time w/ 2 different textures, disaster strikes. The key is knowing how long you can go successfully

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree SweetPea. I would love to stretch out my relaxers every 3 months, but around the 10th week, I'll notice excessive shedding. So I've learned with my hair, i can go no longer than 10 weeks....after this, I'm in a war zone.

I agree with what you ladies are saying. I think the condition of your scalp plays an important role too.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with what you ladies are saying. I think the condition of your scalp plays an important role too.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ] That is the main reason why I stretch mine out. I have psoriasis and the longer I go between relaxers, the less time my scalp is exposed to the chemicals, possibly exaggerating my problem!

Good reasons. I understand now.......well......we'll see how long I can hold out then. I'm hoping 10 weeks..wish me luck...........:)
smile.gif
smile.gif

I try to go at least 10 weeks because I think anything that's so strong it permanently changes the texture of my hair and can cause burning if theres no base should probably not be applied to my scalp sooner than needed, plus I look at Adrienne and some of the other ladies on this board with nice strong hair and they wait, I think it gives my scalp recovery time, BUT there are women with long healthy hair who relaxe sooner so it depends in the end on what's best for our hair.

I wait to help prevent overlap and I wait because like emerald sky, I think it is very caustic to the scalp. I worry about becoming one of those women who are near bald because of the chemical permanantly scarring their scalp. BTW I just realized that I am at 10 weeks.
clap.gif

i agree about the whole overlapping thing but also i think some people just have a certain amount of new growth that they get before they decide to relax. for instance instead of waiting every 10 weeks or so i wait until i have an inch of new growth. i personally think the longer u wait the more breakage ur hair has. but i definitley think theres benefits to waiting and not waiting.

to avoid over-lapping. Also, my hair seems to thrive more if I can stretch it out, but there is a happy medium point. Going too long can be damaging.

Back