Whats the best way to get layers out?

SexyC

I've been on my hair journey since about Aug.04 and I've noticed a huge difference in my hairs length and condition.My hair started at shoulder length and should be alittle past armpit after my next relaxer but it is very thin and see through. I think if I cut the layers out it will look healthier and fuller. My question is what is the best way to cut out layers.I want to wait until my hair reaches brastrap and then trim the bottom ends regularly but I here allot of you ladies talking about doing a big chop. Or is that mainly for people cutting relaxer out of there head to be all natural. I would hate to chop alot off after all of my progress. So what do you ladies think? Big chop or small trims ?
Thanks!!

All of the ladies I've seen on here talking about "big chops" are talking about chopping off all their relaxed hair to go natural.

I have layers in my hair, and almost all of my layers have caught up with the bottom one, the top 2 are the only ones you can see. When I reach brastrap I will keep trimming my hair to keep it there until all my layers catch up with the bottom one. I was told the only way to get rid of layers was to either cut your hair to the shortest layer, or to keep trimming the longest one until the shortest one catches up with it.

I say you should do small trims so you dont lose all of your hard work.

so if you need an overall trim...layers included...would you cut like 1/2 inch from the bottom and only 1/8 or 1/4 inches from the layers until they catch up? or just trim the bottom and dust the rest?

If you're trimming the bottom til the rest of the layers catch up, you still need to ast least dust the other layers if need be, you'll just be trimming more from the bottom than you will from the top.

My hair has layers and is also fine so I really want my hair to be all one length. I expect to be at brastrap at my next touchup. I'll have my stylist keep trimming my longest layer so that the other layers have a chance to catch up. I was like you. I wanted the length first. But I think my hair will look much better when I wear it down once it's a blunt cut.

SexyC... I've felt the same way as you. I too have layered hair and the ends of my longest layers look thin and UGH!!! I also think about the progress I've made with my hair length but I'm going back and forth with whether it's worth holding on to these thin ends just to get a certain length. :ohwell:
I'm transitioning and have thought about cutting my hair to a neck-length bob and just wearing weaves and braids during my transition. The thing is, I really don't like wearing fake hair. I just have to put some serious thinking into it. :look:
Anyway, if you want your hair to look nice and healthy, I would say go to an EXCELLENT PROFESSIONAL stylist to cut your hair to an even length. If you are more concerned with length, then just do occasional trims. Hope that helps. ;)
...Hmmm, I should consider what I just said and see if I'm more concerned with health or length... :scratchch

i also have layers that i am growing out. i say if your ends are healthy then don't worry about cutting them. i would do some occasional dusting until they start to fill in and after awhile your shorter layers should grow in.

Back