What Was Your First Products Used Ever (Relaxer, Shampoo, Etc.)?

This was a long time ago.

I have no idea what that woman used.

Optimum.... I think that they had a whole line.... in a lavendar bottle.

My grandmother did my hair for years using only motions products. If I had a job all I would use is motions.

Sckri23 from my SCH-I500 using LHCF

My first shampoo that I can remember was Head & Shoulders- classic clean. I didn't really use conditioner. My hair was long and healthy. That was the only brand my mom bought because I had dandruff. I also remember once using V05 strawberries & cream shampoo. LOOOVED the smell lol.

For grease I used Royal Crown, Blue Magic, ultra sheen, and pro-line hair food(green slime). For gels, I used Let's Jam and Ampro brown gel.

My first relaxer was optimum care -super strength because my hair sometimes didn't take. After that I used optimum stay strong shampoo & conditioner. Overtime relaxers broke my hair off.

I still use these products except for the relaxer.

My mother used to use pantine products on our hair and wash it till the hair "cried" as we used to call it as kids - you know wash till all the oils are gone u get that squeaky sound :lachen:

at the salon they used dudleys, revlon or optimum products.

I remember once when i was in high school one of my friends told me to use mane and tail products so I bought them and was using them until my mom found them and threw them away because she said they were animal products and would kill me :lachen:

never was a pink lotion person but loved lets jam and black gel

when motions came on the scene that was all I used,

then the Mizani craze came around and I would only use salons that offered mizani products:blush:

my first hair prods were

Creme of Nature shampoo

Queen Helen Cholesterol condish

Palmers hair treatment (i used to use this on my edges ends to help my hair grow?)

Vigorol Mousse for Relaxed hair

Revlon mild relaxer

Final Net hair spray! omg.......

Nice and Easy hair highlighting kit that came with the plastic cap and needle to pull your hair through.

WOW!

oldies but goodies.......

I remember B&B super group
Just For Me Detangler
Pressing grease in a blue and white tin container
And a hot comb

My mom always used nexxus therappe and humectress on my hair. I wanted to use herbal essences because my friends did and I liked the smell, but she said it wasn't for my type of hair.

When I was relaxed I used that green tigi bedhead shampoo and conditioner Control freak!

When I first started healthy hair practices, I used Aussie 3 minute miracle

My first relaxer was Fabulaxer. I remember using a ton of Optimum products and Finisheen hair spray! My mom kept Queen Helene Cholesterol in the house and I was cowashing and rocking buns way back before I knew what I was doing :)

Just for me or PCJ relaxer(pcj always left a red tint to my hair...... I liked it:lachen:)
Motions
Silk elements
Ors(looooved the smell of the oil sheen and that thick, creamy hair lotion)
Creme of nature
Ion
Mane and tail
Grease(it HAD to be the one with the grass and seeds in it:lachen:)
Elasta qp(I was eqp crazy for years!)
I honestly liked all of these products a lot, they got the job done yanno. Wouldn't have a problem going back to them. I'm just spoiled by "professional" lines now.

Last edited:
My late 80s early 90s regimen consisted of

Optimum relaxer (super)
Pink Oil Moisturizer
and Kemi Oyl
Jam Pudding
Mousse (Paul Mitchel?)
Aqua Net Hair Spray (dang!)
Pro Style Hair Gel
Indian (something) Hemp grease

No wonder I couldnt get past NL!

Fabulaxer was my first relaxer, I also used finesse shampoo and conditioner, perm repair and suave hairspray. Smelling that hairspray is like an instant time machine, put's me back in front of my bathroom as a 14 year old.

Notice the lack of oil in that regimen...:nono:

my first relaxer was 'Just for me" when I was 11yrs old. Unfortunately, the relaxer did not take to my thick hair. :look:

Back in the day, I lived for the pink oil lotion. That stuff could do no wrong! :lol:

I hated washing & conditioning my hair so much that I always bought the all-in-one stuff. I think it was White Rain. :perplexed

Last edited:
Hmm ... let me think back.

Creme of Nature Shampoo, African Pride Hair Grease, and when I was small, this leave-in/cream for children with small black babies on it. It smelled like baby powder. Every week, without fail, that's what my mother used on me.

At age 18, I got my first relaxer using a Soft & Beautiful box kit. I decided upon that one because it was the only one that didn’t have any horror stories attached to it (i.e., TCB made peoples hair fall out in clumps, all the bald-headed people with stiff hair used Dark & Lovely, Revlon hardened one’s hair).

As for shampoos and conditioners, I used whatever Salon Selectives brand that was on sale before moving on to Pantene and Wella Kolestral. I also used the white Dax hair grease during hot combing and my beloved Pink Oil Moisturizer for daily maintenance.

Prior to joining this forum, I always assumed hair gel to be a condiment for the Jheri Curl, so I didn’t touch the stuff.

Back