What type of product do you use to slick back your hair?

Nerdstruck

For buns or pony tails? Is it a gel, pomade, grease, butter? Which one gives you the best hold that is not crunchy, delivers shine? What is your go-to product for slicking back those edges and making a smooth style?

Drop some brand names, ladies. I really am hungry for the perfect product for my pony tails.:lick:

TIA.

My favorite thing to slick my natural hair down and gave me nice looking waves was carols daughter healthy hair butter but I can't find it anymore

I use oil, like grapeseed or jojoba!

My hair laughs at oil for any "slicking" purposes. :perplexed I am happy it works for you though. If any oil could offer me a very slight hold it wouldn't be light oils like grapeseed or jojoba, more like castor.

My hair laughs at oil for any "slicking" purposes. :perplexed I am happy it works for you though. If any oil could offer me a very slight hold it wouldn't be light oils like grapeseed or jojoba, more like castor.

I also use Silk Elements Moisturizing Leave-In on the days when my hair is rebelling and that is very creamy and moisturizing and might work better. :yep:

In the past I've used Hairveda Almond glaze on top of dampened hair. I think it's one of the best pomades. Now that I'm going brush free my look is less slick. I have found Curl Junkie Aloe fix to work nicely. I just use my hands to smooth. It keeps fly away hairs at bay. I always dampen with water first.

ETA: When I braided with grapeseed oil, the next morning my hair was smoother.

Last edited:
I use Eco Styler Morrocan Argan oil and a satin scarf. I like the Argan oil one over the Olive oil one because it doesn't make my hair crunchy. As long as you add amount of leave in under it works well.

This is a wet bun:
294095_2092945936098_1618791572_2045381_1734582_n.jpg

294598_2092945216080_1618791572_2045378_8125264_n.jpg

This is a braid out puff :
DSCN0112.jpg

3 flat twists:
DSC_4198.jpg

I love the shine it gives.

I use flax seed gel.
First & second same pic - flax seed gel
Third pic - No gel (little to no product)
Big difference. Lol
Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1322711533360.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1322711533360.jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 79
  • uploadfromtaptalk1322711587052.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1322711587052.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 78
  • uploadfromtaptalk1322711633265.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1322711633265.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 76
^^^I was going to say the Eco styler line is very popular too

I know all about Eco styler, unfortunately. I used the olive oil one and my hair was crunchy, and I had a pretty good moisturizing leave in underneath. I do not like hard hair, no sir. I want my hair to look sleek and solid but feel soft to the touch. Someone said the argan oil doesn't deliver crunch so I might try that.

Saturate the front of my hair with fresh, 100% Aloe vera juice from Trader Joe's and use the scarf method. BSL super fine 4a/b strands and Im two years natural.

HairVeda almond glaze or gel. I've been switching between the ECO styler gels (the black protein one, clear crystal one & argan oil)

If I want my edges to be smooth & slick then I MUST use water to brush it back then gel/glaze it down. Without water to stretch hair, its not effective.

I know all about Eco styler, unfortunately. I used the olive oil one and my hair was crunchy, and I had a pretty good moisturizing leave in underneath. I do not like hard hair, no sir. I want my hair to look sleek and solid but feel soft to the touch. Someone said the argan oil doesn't deliver crunch so I might try that.

I was about to recommend the EcoStyler olive oil styling gel, but if you want smooth hold without crunchy hair, I would definitely recommend the ORS Olive Oil Smooth-n-Hold pudding.

It lays my 4a/b hair flat and it's still very soft to the touch. :yep:

I was about to recommend the EcoStyler olive oil styling gel, but if you want smooth hold without crunchy hair, I would definitely recommend the ORS Olive Oil Smooth-n-Hold pudding.

It lays my 4a/b hair flat and it's still very soft to the touch. :yep:

^^Agreed. Did the same for me. My hair was smooooth, but fluffy soft even 2 days later

aloe vera gel or Eco styler argan oil. just for my edges. apply, tie down with a scarf or cap to set it and i'm good. i have no issues with crunchy-ness. i prefer the aloe to eco styler because sometimes i get flakes with the eco styler.

I am all about my Activator Gel. It gets the job done everytime.

Attachments

• mail-6.jpeg
    mail-6.jpeg
    11.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0403.jpg
    IMG_0403.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 43
The gel that I used on my bun today...well yesterday now, was IC Fantasia Hair Polisher Styling Gel. No crunch, very soft and smooth. I was surprised because I figured since it was a styling gel it would get really hard. I think I might like it better than Eco. I'm going to try a wash and go tomorrow with it to see if I like it better than my activator gel as well.

Pics of my bun are in the Everyday Hair thread and the natural bun thread.

I either use plain shea butter (melted in my hands and applied to my edges, tied down with a scarf for a bit) or Curls Passion Fruit Curl Control Paste which is a more natural version of Lets Jam. Its keeps my hair in check without making it hard and crunchy.

Water, castor oil, and a satin scarf for about 10 minutes. Sometimes I will use water and kinky curly curling custard.

Ampro Shine & Jam has been the best for slicking back my hair. Love the stuff and I get no build up even after a week of use. I use that for slicking back and a very small amount of ecostyler on the edges if I want a super slick look with some hold.

Back