What to do with my breaking hair?

MzLady78

Hi ladies,

My hair is a mess right now, it's falling out and breaking all over the place. I've tried deep conditioning, I did a Nexxus Emergency treatment, nothing is working. I think it could be a medical issue but I don't know for sure.

Right now I'm wearing it in a phony pony (the kind where you wrap the weaving hair around your real hair) but I'm thinking this may not be a good style for my hair in it's current state. What would you suggest I do to it until I can a handle on the breakage/shedding.

TIA!

I would braid it up (not too tight of course) until you deal what your internal issues that may contribute to the shedding (maybe lack of iron, maybe it's that lactose things we were talking about, etc, etc).

I would just start out with taking a multivitamin, and trying to increase your fruits and veggie game. Sick with it for a while and see where that takes you.

You did a protein treat on the hair, so I would just keep it moisturized until then. DC and moisturize daily, lay off of heat and do the best that you can do and leave it be. Whatever is causing your sheddage will pass over soon. Just hang in there.

ETA: as far as the breakage go, just keep it moisturize and keep DCing and using no heat.

LocksOfLuV said:
I would braid it up (not too tight of course) until you deal what your internal issues that may contribute to the shedding (maybe lack of iron, maybe it's that lactose things we were talking about, etc, etc).

I would just start out with taking a multivitamin, and trying to increase your fruits and veggie game. Sick with it for a while and see where that takes you.

You did a protein treat on the hair, so I would just keep it moisturized until then. DC and moisturize daily, lay off of heat and do the best that you can do and leave it be. Whatever is causing your sheddage will pass over soon. Just hang in there.

ETA: as far as the breakage go, just keep it moisturize and keep DCing and using no heat.

I was thinking braids too. the pony doesn't allow me to really keep it mosturized. I do it when I take it down every few days, but I'm sure it doesn't last too long.

Now the trick is getting the africans to not do it too tight, LOL.

Hey MzLady, have you tried henna? I always note an immediate difference in the amount of shedding after my 1 hr. henna treatment. If your NOT YET ;) a henna convert, I seriously recommend Queen Helene Cholesterol with Ginseng, after many years of writing off all cholesterol condiitoners, I find this one leaves my hair with an awesome balance of strength and moisture after 20 minutes under a warm dryer. ORS mayo or Organics (Africa's Best) Mayo is good too.

I agree with Locsoflove about the braids; but still think you will need to do several DC before getting them. I'll actually be getting braids in the next copuple of weeks too.

Supergirl did a great thread on this a looong while back, let me try to find it for you.

I was dealing with a lot of breakage too. Unfortunately, it has taken me about a month to figure out my problem and it was a combination of things.
I found out that my hair is very porous and even though it hadn't been breaking, when I started the full head baggy method, it sent my hair into breakage city and I couldn't get it to stop even though I stopped baggying and was doing lots and lots of moisturizing, clarifying, protein, etc. The damage was done.

Now that I know my hair is porous, I changed some things. For two wash sessions, I shampoo'd, put on porosity control for 5 mins, rinsed and then deep conditioned with Pantene R&N Breakage Control (w/silk amino acids added). For my third wash, I rinsed my hair throughly and only shampoo'd my edges and nape where I had been wearing pommade. I then mixed AO GPB, AO Honeysuckle Rose, Silk Amino Acids, EVOO, and small amount of Porosity Control (deep conditioned for 45 mins under the dryer). I did a final rinse with ACV (1/4 cup ACV and 3/4 cups cool water). I had almost no breakage at all and a few shedded hairs. I also had to cut out the wrap foam (too drying for my hair right now). This seems to have resolved my problem. I'm thrilled!

Hope some of that novel above helps you. Do a porosity test on your hair. You may discover that its in a fragile week state because its in a porous state.

Cayenne0622 said:
I was dealing with a lot of breakage too. Unfortunately, it has taken me about a month to figure out my problem and it was a combination of things.
I found out that my hair is very porous and even though it hadn't been breaking, when I started the full head baggy method, it sent my hair into breakage city and I couldn't get it to stop even though I stopped baggying and was doing lots and lots of moisturizing, clarifying, protein, etc. The damage was done.

Now that I know my hair is porous, I changed some things. For two wash sessions, I shampoo'd, put on porosity control for 5 mins, rinsed and then deep conditioned with Pantene R&N Breakage Control (w/silk amino acids added). For my third wash, I rinsed my hair throughly and only shampoo'd my edges and nape where I had been wearing pommade. I then mixed AO GPB, AO Honeysuckle Rose, Silk Amino Acids, EVOO, and small amount of Porosity Control (deep conditioned for 45 mins under the dryer). I did a final rinse with ACV (1/4 cup ACV and 3/4 cups cool water). I had almost no breakage at all and a few shedded hairs. I also had to cut out the wrap foam (too drying for my hair right now). This seems to have resolved my problem. I'm thrilled!

Hope some of that novel above helps you. Do a porosity test on your hair. You may discover that its in a fragile week state because its in a porous state.

Umm, I have no idea what porous is or how I would do a porosity test, LOL. Can you elaborate?

MzLady78 said:
Umm, I have no idea what porous is or how I would do a porosity test, LOL. Can you elaborate?

Here ya go. I found this on the following website:

http://hair.lifetips.com/tip/8398/hair/hair-tips/porosity-of-hair.html
Porosity of Hair

Porosity of hair is the ability of the hair to absorb liquid or moisture. It is important when doing any sort of chemical treatment that the hair is not overly porous as it can soak up the chemicals too quickly and damage the hair.

If the hair does not have the same porosity over the entire head, some areas will process too fast. An easy test for porosity is to take a lock of hair and let it float on water for two minutes. If it floats, the outer layer is healthy. If it sinks, the outer layer is too open and will allow chemicals to absorb too quickly—in this case don't process with any chemicals until treated with the proper reconstructors.

I also have this link in my journal, where Sistaslick talks about the hair's properties, including porosity:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=94325

MzLady78 said:

Yup.:)
Put some water in a bowl or fill your sink. Take a shedded hair and drop it on top, if your hair sinks to the bottom, it is porous which means that it soaks up water like a sponge and then loses all the water and moisture once it dries. If your hair is porous then you will want to either start using porosity control because it will help lay down the porous layers of your hair strand or you will want to start doing an ACV rinse every time you shampoo. Those two things will help bring down the ph level of your hair and allow it lay smoother so that it can hold on to moisture and hopefully get stronger and have more elasticity. I'm not an expert but this is what I gathered from the different ladies here on the board.

Cayenne0622 said:
Yup.:)
Put some water in a bowl or fill your sink. Take a shedded hair and drop it on top, if your hair sinks to the bottom, it is porous which means that it soaks up water like a sponge and then loses all the water and moisture once it dries. If your hair is porous then you will want to either start using porosity control because it will help lay down the porous layers of your hair strand or you will want to start doing an ACV rinse every time you shampoo. Those two things will help bring down the ph level of your hair and allow it lay smoother so that it can hold on to moisture and hopefully get stronger and have more elasticity. I'm not an expert but this is what I gathered from the different ladies here on the board.

Oh okay. Thanks for the explanation! I will definitely try this when I get home.

I noticed it's very stretchy when it's wet, it will stretch some and then break. I don't know what that signifies.

MzLady78 said:
Oh okay. Thanks for the explanation! I will definitely try this when I get home.

I noticed it's very stretchy when it's wet, it will stretch some and then break. I don't know what that signifies.

That means it's overmoisturized. If it breaks without strecthing, then you need more moisture. You already tried Emergencee, but maybe you need something stronger, like Aphogee? I think you should wait a week or 2 before doing another strong protein treatment, though. Maybe in the meantime, you could deep condition with protein-based products, like Nexxus Keraphix, Aubrey's GPB, or a hair mayo.

preciousjewel76 said:
That means it's overmoisturized. If it breaks without strecthing, then you need more moisture. You already tried Emergencee, but maybe you need something stronger, like Aphogee? I think you should wait a week or 2 before doing another strong protein treatment, though. Maybe in the meantime, you could deep condition with protein-based products, like Nexxus Keraphix, Aubrey's GPB, or a hair mayo.

Hmm, I tried the Aphogee a few months back when the breakage first started and it didn't help.

I'm so mad, I had gotten a lot of growth from wearing braids and weaves for like 2 years. All that progress down the drain. :(

MzLady78 said:
Hmm, I tried the Aphogee a few months back when the breakage first started and it didn't help.

I'm so mad, I had gotten a lot of growth from wearing braids and weaves for like 2 years. All that progress down the drain. :(

Well, keep ya head up! I know its hard dealing with these times when you've worked so hard.:( You've gotten a lot of great info, so just find what works and be patient AND DON"T CUT YOUR HAIR!:mad: :spank: :D

Also you might give ORS Carrot Oil a try, you'll notice a big difference in just a week of regular use.

HERicane10 said:
Well, keep ya head up! I know its hard dealing with these times when you've worked so hard.:( You've gotten a lot of great info, so just find what works and be patient AND DON"T CUT YOUR HAIR!:mad: :spank: :D

Also you might give ORS Carrot Oil a try, you'll notice a big difference in just a week of regular use.

You know I was tempted, right, LOL. I was ready to call up my hair dresser and go on a full out hair massacre!!!

But I'm gonna chill. Hopefully I'll find a good regime and not go completely broke in the process.

MzLady78 said:
You know I was tempted, right, LOL. I was ready to call up my hair dresser and go on a full out hair massacre!!!

But I'm gonna chill. Hopefully I'll find a good regime and not go completely broke in the process.

I agree with the other ladies, if its really stretchy and then breaks then you may want to slack off a little in the moisturizing department and amp up the protein. Its a difficult balance that most of us have not been able to master. Be sure that its not regular yummy elasticity though. You should have a slight stretch and then break if you are tugging at the strands. If it stretches for too long and then breaks, its definitely overmoisturized. What is your exact regimen daily and what are your products? I think some ladies here will be able to zone in on specifically what you need to change.

Cayenne0622 said:
I agree with the other ladies, if its really stretchy and then breaks then you may want to slack off a little in the moisturizing department and amp up the protein. Its a difficult balance that most of us have not been able to master. Be sure that its not regular yummy elasticity though. You should have a slight stretch and then break if you are tugging at the strands. If it stretches for too long and then breaks, its definitely overmoisturized. What is your exact regimen daily and what are your products? I think some ladies here will be able to zone in on specifically what you need to change.

Umm, I don't really have a regimen, lol. I went from a full-sew in to a relaxer and the same day I got my relaxer I had her do the ponytail. So basically all I really do is wash with Nexxus Therappe shampoo, deep condition with the ORS pak, put some leave in, throw some gel (Fantasia or Smooth and Shine (?), put up in a ponytail and air dry. Then I'll mosturize my real ponytail with Dove Moisture Mist and Mango butter and pin the phony pony in. Every few days when my hair starts falling in the back or the edges start looking raggedy, I'll do the process all over.

I guess that would be a regimen, huh? LOL.

MzLady78 said:
Umm, I don't really have a regimen, lol. I went from a full-sew in to a relaxer and the same day I got my relaxer I had her do the ponytail. So basically all I really do is wash with Nexxus Therappe shampoo, deep condition with the ORS pak, put some leave in, throw some gel (Fantasia or Smooth and Shine (?), put up in a ponytail and air dry. Then I'll mosturize my real ponytail with Dove Moisture Mist and Mango butter and pin the phony pony in. Every few days when my hair starts falling in the back or the edges start looking raggedy, I'll do the process all over.

I guess that would be a regimen, huh? LOL.

LOL yeah, dats your regimen, girlly! :lol: Well, I hope some other ladies chime in but I'm wondering if drying in a ponytail might be the culprit. Of course, if its a very loose pony then there should be a problem. If you are sleeping with your hair in a ponytail and wearing it in a ponytail everyday then your breakage could definitely be coming from the tension of the ponytail. I hope you get to the bottom of the breakage. I know how frustrating it is. That's why I keep checking back in. I wanna help!:)

Cayenne0622 said:
LOL yeah, dats your regimen, girlly! :lol: Well, I hope some other ladies chime in but I'm wondering if drying in a ponytail might be the culprit. Of course, if its a very loose pony then there should be a problem. If you are sleeping with your hair in a ponytail and wearing it in a ponytail everyday then your breakage could definitely be coming from the tension of the ponytail. I hope you get to the bottom of the breakage. I know how frustrating it is. That's why I keep checking back in. I wanna help!:)

Aww, I really appreciate that.

I was wondering if the ponytail might be doing it. I mean I've had this problem for a while but it was less noticeable when I was wearing the sew-ins because I wasn't dealing with my actual hair. Now that that's changed I'm like :eek: wth!!!! I mean, if I run my hand down the length of my hair, my hand will be full of strands and little pieces. It's very disturbing.

Do you think I need a style that's going to allow me to deal with my hair or do you think less manipulation (i.e. braids) would be better?

Last edited:
MzLady78 said:
Aww, I really appreciate that.

I was wondering if the ponytail might be doing it. I mean I've had this problem for a while but it was less noticeable when I was wearing the sew-ins because I wasn't dealing with my actual hair. Now that that's changed I'm like :eek: wth!!!! I mean, if I run my hand down the length of my hair, my hand will be full of strands and little pieces. It's very disturbing.

yes girl!! I was waiting for someone else to say it lol. I used to wear my hair in ponytails in the same position for days or weeks at a time. then when I had new growth I would wrap a scarf around the edges and have my ponytail lol. the stretching and pulling plus tension from the elastic eventually caused my nape to break off badly overtime. it was funny cause my hair would grow real fast, but was unhealthy. try switching up the styles too. and dont keep using so much gel neither. ive seen too many slip n slide edges because of it.

Yep, sometimes gel can be bad. I'm real careful with my edges. I don't pull them tight. I put a lot of moisturizer (really thick on my edges and nape) then I put a small amount of "no-alcohol" gel and finish up with something thick like men's Dax pommade. This keeps my edges shiny and smooth while I am stretching my relaxer. I've also started wear silk scarves like head bands and tie in a bow in back. This allows me to not focus on perfectly straight edges because the scarf draws attention away from that and kind of covers them. Its really cute and dresses up my simple buns.

HERicane10 said:

Okay, why not cut the hair? I just cut about 5 or 6 inches and nobody beat my butt.:lol:

Seriously, how about looking at your products as well. If your hair is remaining or looking dry after moisturizing, you may be using ingredients that don't agree with your hair, especially SLS, ALS, or cones.

Cayenne0622 said:
Yep, sometimes gel can be bad. I'm real careful with my edges. I don't pull them tight. I put a lot of moisturizer (really thick on my edges and nape) then I put a small amount of "no-alcohol" gel and finish up with something thick like men's Dax pommade. This keeps my edges shiny and smooth while I am stretching my relaxer. I've also started wear silk scarves like head bands and tie in a bow in back. This allows me to not focus on perfectly straight edges because the scarf draws attention away from that and kind of covers them. Its really cute and dresses up my simple buns.

Ditto on the headbands! They work wonders - they pull back your edges and dress up your hair. I'm wearing one today.:D

HERicane10 said:
Hey MzLady, have you tried henna? I always note an immediate difference in the amount of shedding after my 1 hr. henna treatment. If your NOT YET ;) a henna convert, I seriously recommend Queen Helene Cholesterol with Ginseng, after many years of writing off all cholesterol condiitoners, I find this one leaves my hair with an awesome balance of strength and moisture after 20 minutes under a warm dryer. ORS mayo or Organics (Africa's Best) Mayo is good too.

I agree with Locsoflove about the braids; but still think you will need to do several DC before getting them. I'll actually be getting braids in the next copuple of weeks too.

Supergirl did a great thread on this a looong while back, let me try to find it for you.

Ditto it it all... except the henna. I don't know much about neutral henna. I would say that Skikakai is an amazing Ayurvedic powder and it strenghtens the hair. I think that you can do braidouts because it is low manipulation, can be washed regularly without fear of them coming out, and you can baggy them. Also, i think your hair is breaking because of the extreme stress you have been under. Honestly, do some braidouts for a month and leave it be. If you are using BT or LR, use the it every day on the scalp and moisturize with a protein hairdressing, too. Worked for me.

Cayenne0622 said:

Good idea, but Dax has petroleum in it. Here is something very similar, a 2fer product, that is mimus petroleum.
finish09.jpg

Paul Mitchell Wax Works

bravenewgirl87 said:
Good idea, but Dax has petroleum in it. Here is something very similar, a 2fer product, that is mimus petroleum.
finish09.jpg

Paul Mitchell Wax Works

Sally's has a generic version of Wax Works for much less. I've used it and it's great!

sunshinebeautiful said:
Sally's has a generic version of Wax Works for much less. I've used it and it's great!

So, this is just as heavy as Dax? I need something with a lot of weight to hold these waves down. lol I tried using another product that had beeswax instead and it didn't quite do the trick.

Back