What should I do with my hair? lol...

What should I ultimately do to my hair?

• CUT IT! Cut to a TWA and start fresh on my natural journey to keep it interesting!

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • CUT IT (into a style) or DYE IT! Radically change hair to keep it refreshing!

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • PERM IT! Just breakdown and perm it, already! Make straight relaxed hair my permanent style!

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • OTHER! (specify answer in post)

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • BRAIDS/TWISTS! Get hair profesionally braided to reduce styling stress and grow longer!

Votes: 25 44.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
lollll sabino- is that a dominican product like miss key?
I used to LOVE dominican products while I was transitioning! My only thing is they use sooooo many mineral oils, petroleum, and other things (Miss Key was my THING! now if you find one that doesn't have all of those things, LET ME KNOW!!!! I LOVE THEM! :grin:) and I was getting headaches and my hair was more brittle (in fact, american products were having the same effect until I found aveda, dr. bronners, etc., the headaches have ceased :yep: and all is well!) I think if I flat-ironed I would need to find "MAN'S BEST FLAT IRON (which I thought, ironically, was the CHI)" before proceeding. I was shocked (I got it at overstock which I DON'T recommend- I payed only a few dollars less than market value) at the negative effects it had on my hair!

I'd love more information on Sabino though if you'd like! ;) Sounds kind of wonderful! :grin:

There is a zillion page thread devoted to Sabino! (Not Dominican, but Italian I think!) The super short version is that it is a superior combination of cones that when 'baked' into the hair via flat iron it acts as a glass- like barrier to keep moisture in & humidity out. According to all, you don't need to moisturize between washing cuz the strands are sealed with the moisture block, leaving your hair feeling incredibly moisturized & swingy. Your hair will not revert on humid days. There are a million ways to use it depending on whether you want a straight look or whether you want a defined wash n go. There are videos on youtube as well--check it out!:grin:

ETA: Mr. Sabino himself has even communicated with some members here, wanting to make sure that everyone learns how to use it to suit there needs & hair type.

Last edited:
Hey ladies!
Sorry I disappeared for a few days (getting ready for school, YAY!) but i'm posting all responses now. THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL OF YOU'RE CONTINUED ADVICE! It's so wonderful and supportive and I love you all. The encouragement is really helping me to take my time and make the most careful and conscious decision. :grin::grin::grin:

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!! :giveheart:

OT: Girl, tell me more about how you learned to braid and cornrow. If I am gonna stay natural, I will really need to be able to do these things myself. I think part of my hair frustrations are due to the fact that I can not cornrow or braid to save my life:nono:. Please tell me more.

I agree!!!!!!! I did find a few good links and you'll find them below! I just don't think I have the darned coordination for attempting to seriously cornrow my own hair. I REALLY want to learn before it gets really cool outside so on a very cold fall/snowy winter day, I can slap some moisturizing butter in and braid my hair up and not have to deal with nothing! lol....

http://www.growafrohairlong.com/ - recommended by another sweet op! Has some helpful information

http://cornrows.co.uk/howtobraidcornrows.html - VERY DETAILED instruction on braiding

http://www.amekor.com/info/cornrowingHair.aspx - less detailed tutorial but helpful none the less!

http://www.wikihow.com/Braid-Cornrows - also a DETAILED wiki-how article

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cornrowing+hair - google search that I used to find these websites that have a TON of other sources!

I know the question wasn't directed at me :look: lol but hopefully these help you! I tried some of the tutorials a day or so ago- girlllllllllll my hair got so thick and FRIZZED UP that I just slapped it back in a bun. Hahahaha- there was my first and probably LAST (until colder weather) attempt! loll

OP, you hair is just gorgeous. I wish I had you dilemma. Hey you and I could switch heads. I am tired of my TWA and you are tired of you BAA. We can switch back after a while, though I may not want to give it back. Its the perfect solution.:lachen::lachen:
But seriously, you have beautiful hair...please don't cut it and just try something new. You hair is a length you can experiment with (no mad experiments though...Don't want you to end up bold:grin:)

THANK YOU, FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!
It's kind of a confusing dilemma to find yourself in- and because i'm naturally the way I am, I feel like I haven't acheived ANYTHING! lol we CAN switch hair (your hair is gorgeous tooooo by the way!!! so soft looking!) Girl, girllllllll I was there! Imagine having an a.c. slater (remember saved by the bell?!? lolll) when wet and when DRY looking like a rat's nest. When I was post-bc I never, EVER had my hair the way I wanted it (but thanks to natural delusions, I conned myself into thinking I had attained way more than I had! lol). It IS the perfect solution! I loved nothing more than nursing my little head of hair with moisturizing butters, only using a drop of shampoo and having my whole head lathered thickly and the ease and quickness. I don't really miss the way it would shrink- THAT SHRINKAGE WAS A KILLER! :wallbash: Still is.... sometimes it shrink still, even at this length to above my shoulders. :rolleyes:

Funny you mention bald- I got butchered when I was a kid and rocked a TWA (accidental- the woman butchered me on purpose! :nono:) for a number of years before it growing to shoulder-length (I had 4C texture then and since then, its changed and i'm not sure why...lol) and as I mentioned earlier in this thrad there was nothing more hindering than enduring a TWA and being a kid where everyone already thinks and KNOWS you're "different" somehow. I think if I ever, EVER cut it would be to shoulder-length. I don't think I could manage anything shorter with the darned shrinkage! lol- now the real task at hand is thinking WHAT to do exactly- but you briliant ladies on here have so many ideas I might just steal more than a few! Lol thank you for your sweet response- I like that we ladies on here can inspire each other to so many EXCELLENT goals! Thank you!!:grin:

I don't have any suggestions. I just wanted to comment on how beautiful your hair is. I do understand completely your dilemna. This is the longest I have worn my hair natural and I have to thank this website for the information. I know I would have gone back to relaxing had it no been for LHCF.

On the other hand I will say that if you were to decide to cut it off, I doubt you would have any problems with your hair growing, so do whatever your heart tells you to do.

Thank you so much, my friend, for the lovely response!! hehehe :o
It's so refreshing to see someone who can understand where i'm coming from! :yep: It's funny- I don't know if being natural is ANY easier than being relaxed! In my opinion- we both face so many challenges but with being natural you not only have to accept AND love your texture but find ways (even if you go to salon) to make it look beautiful in a way that manages your texture (especially in the summer!:ohwell: lol). And you know, come to think of it, I think this is the longest i've gone wearing my natural texture since I was a baby- lhcf and so many inspiring naturals within the past few years made me bc (among other things!:drunk:) and whether I perm, dye, whatever, I think the natural journey has impacted much more than my hair. It's definitely showed many other sides of myself- so hard to describe!

In refrence to the bolded, SIMPLY INSPIRING! I think I will follow my heart on this one (lol and of course consider EVERY fine piece of advice all my lhcf sisters have to give)- Thank you so much for such a warm response!

PS: I can tell in your picture that your hair is so MOISTURIZED! I'm jealous! I definitely want to steal it!!!!! :grin: lol

I was thinking the same thing. I wish I had the OP's problem AND I wish my hair could reach WL stretched in 3 years. If at my 3 year mark I'm not there...hm.

Girl, if you're going to cut anything just get a cut into a style yet, keeping the length.

Enjoy that beautiful hair guuuuuuuuurl!

I'm not sure how it did to be honest!!!!!
I did transition for a while (girl until I had a NAPPY NEST underneath several inches of straight badly managed relaxed ends) and let me tell you it was HORRID! I remember even then friends, family (namely my sister! :ohwell:) would go ahead and tell me how much a MESS I looked. I had to consistently wear buns, and other updos to mask how strange the two (and in some cases several) hair textures would look blended. I did get my hair cornrowed once professionally (I think I named a catastrophe I had with it on the first page! I would apply MTG for the 5 weeks I had the braids in) and then after that (and a whileeeee of transitioning I finally cut) my hair and bc'd that fall.

In-between, I would henna and indigo (till I realized it flattened my texture) and surge and MN (I think MN, in particular, was responsible for most of my growth when I had a twa) until I was breaking out excessively on my forehead and attributed that to the MN (and I also realized that this time, with my journey, I wanted to take it slowww and easy! :yep:) so after some time (4 or so months from when I started to apply MN) I stopped and just really enjoyed my hair. I found the regimen that made my hair thrive (washing every other day and rinsing daily and I started using Aveda and Oyin Handmade products religiously) and just let it go. I find wrapping (I found this bonnet in Walmart that has an elastic-like band as a headband to keep it on your head) helps immensely and I deep condition with WGO/olive oil/coconut oil/coconut milk from time to time. Other than that I think I keep it pretty simple.

I think while trying to grow out post-bc the best thing I realized was to rinse and condition daily (shampooing every few days because I didn't want to irritate my scalp), apply moisturizing natural products to hair while wet (to lock in moisture) deep condition x2 a week, trimming regularly until I was sure all relaxed ends were off and growth aids helped immensely. I only used growth aids until I was at a length I could manage and then stopped and had no ill-effects.

I think you will get there and THEN some! I used to think the same thing so many GORGEOUS naturals on this board and I certainly NEVER thought i'd be complaining about boredom. It seems SO far away when you start on the journey but after a while I focused on experiencing my hair and I forgot about time as it flew by!

I had quite a few setbacks (one time going insane and straightening my hair and burning it- badly and having to cut, ends kept snagging, etc.,) otherwise I wonder where i'd be now. I just try to understand that trimming is inevitable and if I want strong, healthy hair I needed to get over myself and dust. Lol at the bolded- EXCELLENT IDEA! Great excuse to look around for inspirations and have a nice, new fall change to bring me into winter! I really don't want to lose my length but I think I need to just sit down one day and think it out enough. I will definitely keep everyone posted. THANK YOU for the WONDERFUL compliments!!!!!!!!! I appreciate them so much!!!!!!!! :grin::grin::grin::grin:

Wow pretty hair! I was going to suggest going to a salon getting it colored and straightened......but no matter what you do dont cut it or relax it LOL

SEEEE now I THOUGHT about that! :yep::yep::yep:
I was reading on here about Aveda's haircolor a while back and its 98% natural so I was excited about that! Definitely want to do a little bit more research first but I think color is JUST what I need to look slightly more polished, modern and put together.

You know what's hysterical? I just wish I could get it done and NOT have someone try to straighten it after. I think thats against a stylists code of honor hahahaha..... i've seen it done ONCE before where the individual actually made it OUT of the salon without wet hair.... I wish I could be so lucky! I think I might even look into a professional Aveda deep conditioning treatment. I just feel like my hair is never moisturized/ends never healthy enough. lollll- its like i'm there but NOT where I want to be. Girl- i'm going to try to resist the lure of a relaxer. It can be so tricky because the illusion of slapping some chemicals on and being able to get out the door faster in the morning is exciting. Must resist, must resist, must resist.... lolllll:look:
Thanks for your reply!!!!!

Girrrrrl, I think you should shave it all off and then dye your scalp some funky colors, just for kicks :grin:

ok, seriously :lachen: Your hair looks fabulous but it does look like it could use a style. Hmm, if it's too difficult to manage, you might wanna consider relaxing or texturizing at least. Also, I would suggest investing in a trip to a PROFESSIONAL salon for a cute cut or one of those sexy just outta bed long wavy styes that the celebs rock (think Victoria's Secret model :drunk: ).

There are stylists out there who actually know what they're doing and *listen* to their clients. It costs more than the mom & pop joint on the block, but you get what you pay for. :yep:

Good Luck!!!

Just for kicks??!!?!? Ahahahaha.... girl you almost had me pull a Britney.. If you've ever seen Noemie Lenoir back when she had the super short shaved style, i'm envious and it AIN'T such a bad idea! hahahaha :yep: I would do blonde and short in a heartbeat if I looked like her! :grin:

See, I like you...lollllllllllll :lachen:(thanks for the compliment too!) you can recognize when someone looks played out! I definitely feel like I could use something to make myself look better. My hair isn't necessarily long enough (once we get past the shrinkage) to just let it go free like that and look as sexy as say a shakira or someone like that but its not short either where I could pull off something with shape and style.

I need to find a salon that I could trust to give me a professional cut (I think I should definitely find the cut first! lol but its a start!) Oh and about the stylists knowing what their doing? Have to find one of those tooooooooo! lol damnit what do I have!?!? :grin::grin: I would go to a jcpenney (I know they don't have the best reputation, but I could never find anything different and reliable- i've always had this fear of not going to a well-known place because they could do whatever and get away with it. Maybe I just need to forget that fear!).

I think i'm going to find a number of styles and post them up on here and see what everyone thinks (especially youuu! lol)... hope I can find something somewhat decent! Thanks for your wonderful (and hysterical) response! lollll:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

Attachments

• noemie_lenoir_reference.jpg
    noemie_lenoir_reference.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1
There is a zillion page thread devoted to Sabino! (Not Dominican, but Italian I think!) The super short version is that it is a superior combination of cones that when 'baked' into the hair via flat iron it acts as a glass- like barrier to keep moisture in & humidity out. According to all, you don't need to moisturize between washing cuz the strands are sealed with the moisture block, leaving your hair feeling incredibly moisturized & swingy. Your hair will not revert on humid days. There are a million ways to use it depending on whether you want a straight look or whether you want a defined wash n go. There are videos on youtube as well--check it out!:grin:

ETA: Mr. Sabino himself has even communicated with some members here, wanting to make sure that everyone learns how to use it to suit there needs & hair type.

Ohhhhh like Capilo (lol I get them mixed up alllll the time! lol)?
Ohhh sort of like the chi processing system? I know chi's system COMPLETELY blocks out humidity and moisture and makes the hair poker straight. Hmmm... I wonder if I could try that and leave my hair curly? (Probably after I get it done I could try and my curly hair would be much less frizzy and huge...lol)

Oh my goodness! Not revert on a humid day? That's almost TOO good! lol :grin::grin: I don't know how many times i've permed (and even when I left my hair curly) the perm would leave me high and dry on a humid day! I think I need to research!!!! Thank you so much for pointing me to this! I could DEFINITELY use it!!! Especially seeing that the creator was open to communicating to ladies on here [runs away from thread and hops on into the lhcf search engine] Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!!:yep::yep::yep::yep:

man why did kelis cut her hair.

Girl- I KNOW!
Now she's sporting some kind of odd 3-stooges style red bowl cut which she should be shot for! When I first watched the video for "Bossy" I though it was all a sick, sick joke.... :lachen:Seriously! I just don't know what happened because she was soooo much an inspiration! I remember reading and interview once where she said she added tracks for fullness. Either way her hair was breathtaking. I wonder if she regrets THAT decision! lol :ohwell::look::perplexed

Attachments

• normal_09470_kel983_122_821lo.jpg
    normal_09470_kel983_122_821lo.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 3
by all means pleassssseeeeee don't cut it! It is sooo beautiful!

Awwwwwww thank you, lady! hehehehe i'm wrestling with the concept, seriously, its so hard sometimes! :yep::yep: Sometimes it just gets SO annoying to comb, wash, condition and moisturize hair because it never feels or looks like how I wish it would. I'm trying soooo hard not to! I think i'll try a little bit harder not to before making my final decision. lol Thank you SO MUCH for the wonderfullllll compliment! :hug3:Your hair is so gorgeous and swingy and thick i'm sure it makes everyone (including meeeee! :grin::grin::grin:) very, very jealous!!!!!

I voted BRAIDS/TWISTS! Get hair profesionally braided to reduce styling stress and grow longer!

Your hair is beautiful! And I agree with the person that said, whatever you do, don't make a hasty decision. I was in the same boat that you were in a month ago, and I cut my hair. I have no regrets because it was something that I meditated on for months before that. So the day I cut, I knew it's what I wanted to do and there was no looking back.

I voted BRAIDS/TWISTS! Get hair profesionally braided to reduce styling stress and grow longer!

Your hair is BEAUUUTIFUL! Are you a 3c too? :grin:
Great Idea!!!!!!
I'm done twisting myself though, lolllll They shrink up so short and they really DO loc! lol I put some pictures below- this was of yesterday because I was getting so tired and bored and wanted to do something! lol tell me what you think!

I think getting it done professionally would be a bigggg change from when I do it! I really want conrows- like 6-8 thick ones all over my head. I like the thick cornrows instead of the smaller ones- so much harder to take out! I definitely think i'm going to go ahead and at least (if i can't find someone to braid because I live in the DEEP suburbs in jersey, lolll) go back to protective styling! Thanks for such helpful AND practical ideas!

Attachments

• 46a6fb44e88a.jpg
    46a6fb44e88a.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 57a5a56f6819.jpg
    57a5a56f6819.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 4935afe1c81e.jpg
    4935afe1c81e.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 77952edad803.jpg
    77952edad803.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 774667d681a2.jpg
    774667d681a2.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 3
Your hair is beautiful! And I agree with the person that said, whatever you do, don't make a hasty decision. I was in the same boat that you were in a month ago, and I cut my hair. I have no regrets because it was something that I meditated on for months before that. So the day I cut, I knew it's what I wanted to do and there was no looking back.

I definitely agree with the both of you! :yep::yep:
I think the worst decisions sometimes can be the hastiest- I think i've decided that I definitely want color- My hair now is a dark brown and I think i'd like a rich chocolate brown. Since I was a freshman in high school, i've been dyeing my hair black. I started with Dark and Lovely, then transitioned to Bigen (thinking it was natural but never figuring out why I always had a rash when I dyed...:rolleyes:), began using henna (back in 2000-2001 when I was a sophmore) and then a strange combination of henna (whatever brand I used turned my black hair orangey-red) and sun-in and finally henna and indigo so it's kind of mellowed out to about 5 colors...loll... I've got medium brown, black-brown, orangey-red, light brown, jet black. I almost feel like bozo i've got so many colors! :lachen:

Really? you were in the same boat too!??! :drunk:
What finally made your mind up about cutting? How do you feel now- are you happy with the results and how you look? How long has it been since your cut? (<----- sorry about all the insane questions lollll but it's so INTERESTING!) Thank you sooooooo much for your response!

PS: I love how shiny and lush your hair looks! I remember starting on my natural journey- nothing beat how shiny, strong, and moisturized my hair was...lol what the heck happened? I definitely fell off that band wagon..:ohwell: hahaha

Nothing to add, besides the fact that I like that style on you, and I love your hair. :yep:

Oohhh another 3c-ish sister! :love:
Thank you so much for the compliments! Now if only I could get Shakira/Kelis long and full then i'd promptly shut my mouth and quit complaining! :lachen:Its funny that good is never good enough for anyone...lol!

Your hair is so pretty. Keep it braided it's easy and it is low maintenance.
Thank you so much for the sweet compliment! I want to- SO badly... I think even though I have poor coordination and i'll probably look like a hot mess for a while, I think I need to at least teach myself. I remember a while back there was a thread about those plastic hair models that people who are stylists train on doing hair. I think I might invest in one of those and try to teach myself how to braid like that.....Braiding is soooo low maintenance and I love how it looks good on practically everyone- its just getting it braided thats always been the hang-up for me!! :yep: Thank you again!!:grin:

Absolutely Nothing!!!! It's beautiful just the way it is :yep:

Awwwwwww another one who should talk! ;)
I love your hair- so shiny and it looks so soft! In fact, i'd cut you for your hair color! :swordfigh Whats so ironic is that I used to have 4c hair- a frizzy halo when I was a child and my sister had the long 3c-ish hair...then somehow, as if it were a freak experiment, we switched... :spinning::spinning: it was hysterical. I think i've switched hair types several times over my life. How crazy! :perplexed

OP you have BEAUTIFUL hair!

I think you should cut it and send it to me! :grin:
Don't you dare cut it or perm it. Rollersetting it would give you nice bouncy curls.. Or just leave it curled up the way it is. I think your hair is big and fierce, I don't see anything wrong with it except its not on MY head. :nono: :lachen:

mmmm my suggestions:

1)Rollerset your hair and do pincurls afterwards.
2) Put your hair in a ponytail and do twists on your ponytail than unravel the hair
3) Put your hair halfway up by sleeking the edges if your want or not and the rest down
4) Do an updo with your hair there are plenty of pictures on the net.
5) Use curlformers or flexirod your whole head
6) Put your hair in a bun there are so many different styles of bun you can do with the lenght you have.
7) you can get a dominican blowout (rollerset+ brushing)
8)get braids
9) twist out

Good advice....there are always options. You have beautiful hair!

ur hair is drop dead GORGEOUS..
i think u should stay natural and just try to get some cute hair accessories and rock them and try casrelas advice!

watever u do
DO NOT CUT

Back